Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2007 5:14:44 AM EDT
I have always wanted a 50 cal BMG rifle.  Given the price and quality the Barrett M99 bolt action rifle, this seems like the gun to get.  I would love a Barrett semi-auto 50 Cal BMG but I cannot justify the cost (nor do I have the $$$).  My concern is the limitations as to shooting a 50 cal BMG rifle in NJ.  The only range I know that will allow such a rifle is an hour away and they are limited to 300 yards.  There really is no place near me that would allow me to reach out and touch a target at distances of 1,000 yards.  So here is my question, is it worth purchasing a rifle and spending the money if I can only shoot at 300 yards?  Plus I do not know how many times a year I would use the rifle given the cost of ammo and the time require to drive to the range (one hour each way).  Any suggestions or input from fellow NJ 50 cal BMG owners?

Ken
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:24:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought about purchasing one a while ago. However given the political climate in NJ I quickly dismissed the idea.

Ca. banned the sale so I figure NJ will be next. That coupled with the limited places to shoot one I deceided against it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:05:15 AM EDT
[#2]
As I understand it CA banned the sale of 50 cal BMG sales but current owners are still allowed to have their guns.  I would assume this to be the case if NJ bans the gun but you never know with these commies.  

It looks like I will need to spend $3,500 for a new M99 and then $1K or so for a scope.  I would probably get a used scope since better deals can be had.  

Ken
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
As I understand it CA banned the sale of 50 cal BMG sales but current owners are still allowed to have their guns.  I would assume this to be the case if NJ bans the gun but you never know with these commies.  

It looks like I will need to spend $3,500 for a new M99 and then $1K or so for a scope.  I would probably get a used scope since better deals can be had.  

Ken

Don't assume anything here in NJ. In 1989 I "assumed" my collection of 22 so-called assualt rifles would be Grandfathered. Well they weren't as the was no grandfather clause in the 1990 NJ Assualt Weapons Ban.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Just buy it. If they ban and grandfather, good. If not, move (and maybe yourself) it to PA or some other non-nanny state in a storage locker with safe.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Can't you shoot it at a 25 yard indoor range?  

But seriously, how much range do you really need  to shoot one.  I never even considered getting one (can't afford it) but couldn't a 100 yard range do for some plinking?  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

But seriously, how much range do you really need  to shoot one.  I never even considered getting one (can't afford it) but couldn't a 100 yard range do for some plinking?  

Plinking with a 50BMG at 100 yards???? Your kidding right? You'll need a mighty thick backstop. It's not exactly a "plinking" gun.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#7]
You mean no shooting glass bottles and dishes?

Sorry, but not everyone has extra refrigerators and manhole covers lying around!

So 100 yards is too close?  I think it would be fun.  I don't know what you mean for a backstop but my gun club has a sand berm built up in front of a mountain.  Could it shoot through a mountain?  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Forget  the .50 BMG  the future is the .338 Lapua Mag. It is PC for now and can be shot in most outdoor ranges in NJ.

See link

Regards,

Iggyort

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.338_Lapua
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#10]
i say if you really want it ,GeT IT.

you can always find a place to open it up... i know of a handful of places,and
a few where you can shoot up the ol household items you don't want any more...

its all how bad you want it. and you can always leave it out of NJ.
as for plinking...i wouldn't just plink with a 600 plus grain bullet...

you have to 100% make sure where you know where those rounds are going.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Cherry Ridge Club has restricted there use until further notice.  I'm guessing becuase of insufficent back stop presevation on the 50yd and ricochet on 100,200 and 300 ranges.  
.50 cals  are really, really loud.  It's really not fun to be shooting near or next to one.
The .338 is an amazing rifle but's also a real boomer.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Finding a place in NJ to shoot a 50 BMG is a real problem.
A few ranges allow them but none are in north NJ where I live.
If you do find a place to shoot feeding the beast in now a very expensive proposition, check out the price of ammo and think about how much you will shoot at $3 a pop before you buy. They are a lot of fun to shoot if you have a place and $$.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#13]

has a 600 yard range.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Pa , there is plenty places.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I take it that you have never operated a .50 BMG rifle. A 50 BMG to a 100 yard target is like putting a 12 gauge shotgun muzzle into a fishbowl and letting loose a slug on Mr. Goldfish point blank. It is a powerful weapon, not to be taken lightly. Unless you have a large amount of disposable cash, I would not call it plinkin'
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#16]
i wanted the same BMG rifle, saved $5500 dollars, corSlime won the election, had to re-think my plan. here is what I did,
i bought,
1 complete beowulf .50 rifle, $1500
1 case .50 beowulf ammo, $220
1 s&w 945, $1500
1 case .45 acp ammo, $240
1 watsons .50 bmg single shot upper that snaps to any AR rifle, $1200
100 BMG fmj rounds, $230
1 tasco super sniper scope $400
1 give or take about $210 change left over

i am very happy that i went the way i did. and just to let you know, the watsons upper (.50 BMG) has NEVER been shot
hope this helps however, if you really want the M99 you should buy it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I take it that you have never operated a .50 BMG rifle. A 50 BMG to a 100 yard target is like putting a 12 gauge shotgun muzzle into a fishbowl and letting loose a slug on Mr. Goldfish point blank. It is a powerful weapon, not to be taken lightly. Unless you have a large amount of disposable cash, I would not call it plinkin'

This past July I was shooting 75-100 lb rocks at ~100 yards with my 50, looked like a hand grenade went off sending pieces everywhere. That's my idea of "plinking"
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Down load it...tell everyone that you're duplicating a .50 cal blackpowder load.
Really it depends as much on the ammo you're using as much as the backstop.
Oneday I will own a .50 upper for an AR....when I've had money, there were none to be had, can't afford it and they're all over the palce.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Shooting rocks at 100 ???

that's smart dude.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top