Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/23/2020 3:47:02 PM
Posted: 12/29/2006 7:32:11 PM EDT
I'm up here in Indiana looking to move to Texas.  I work for ATT, so a transfer to San Antonio, Austin any major city is possible.  I would like to live 10 to 15 miles outside any major city limits. Looking for a good area with good schools.

Housing budget $200000 to $250000.  

Any info on taxes, and other things to lookout for would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:40:12 AM EDT
If you find a job in the Houston area, take a look at The Woodlands (master planned community north of Houston, good schools, et cetera).  As a bonus, the sheriff in Montgomery County is NFA-friendly.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:10:17 AM EDT
Here is something to look out for.  We found this one 12/28/2006.

No state income taxes.

Brush up on your spanish.

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:41:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bitmap:

i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/Bitmaps_photos/ConradsHunt014.jpg

No state income taxes.

Where are you located?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:04:01 AM EDT
Harris County (Houston) propert taxes are kinda high, but
you can get a nice house for 200-250. Just stay in the suburbs
away from HISD (Houston Ind. School Dist)
North and Northwest of Houston is nice. East and Southeast stay
away from. My son killed a Coral snake in the front yard
a couple of months ago. Just don't mind all the Mexicans we have here.
(I can't say much, I am married to one!)
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:10:11 AM EDT
I killed the snake at the farm in the SE part of the panhandle.  Normally you won't find snakes active this time of year but we've had a warm spell in the area for a few days.  Here is a link to the story in the hunting forum:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=11&t=531535&page=1

Just a little shameless bragging on my kids there.

I live NE of DFW.  Still rural here, but the suburbs are approaching fast.  I understand that your housing allowance will still get you into a decent to nice house in Plano, Allen, McKinney and similar areas.  I haven't really priced them myself so I can't say from experience.  I will say that you might have to shop around to find one with a decent yard for that price in the suburbs.  Some of the developments in the semi-rural parts of Collin County have .5 to 1 acre but they usually have aerobic septic systems which eat up the usable yard space.  I would check www.realtor.com for listings.  Spend some time there checking out different towns.  Then use mapquest or something like that to check locations.  Be careful, this can get addictive - sort of like a video game but the results of this actually matter.

Originally Posted By luxs:

i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/Bitmaps_photos/ConradsHunt014.jpg

No state income taxes.

Where are you located?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:42:10 AM EDT
I've been checking yahoo realistate in San Antonio, Austin and smaller towns in the area.

I'm also checking greatschools.net.  Just trying to get some 1st hand info.

Central Texas is where I'm seem to be looking.  Its half way between relatives in Brownsville and relatives in Louisana.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:44:20 AM EDT
If you move to the Austin area, Williamson County is a nice area, very conservative. Housing prices for new homes are very reasonable. Georgetown is a nice area, with a great economy, and lots of amenities.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:52:36 AM EDT
My FIL has been with ATT for about 35 years.  Currently in the DFW area.  Wife's aunt has been with SWB for about the same period (before the Baby Bell spinoff) and she's also in DFW.  If you end up in Dallas you'll have a pretty good selection in this area.  It will come down to what kind of drive you want to deal with.
With your budget you should be able to do alright pretty much anywhere.  Stay out of the larger city schools (Houston, Dallas, Austin slightly less so).  I graduated from HISD several years ago and didn't go to the grad ceremony because of my dislike for the school district, and I graduated 3rd in my class out of about 400.  My wife taught for Dallas ISD for one year and came back to our local district.  DISD is so screwed up they don't even know what to do.  I helped coach at Westlake High on the west side of Austin when I went to school at UT and that was a pretty good school.  Seems like the western and northern schools were pretty good.  Round Rock and Georgetown were good areas, along with Pflugerville.
Closer to SA New Braunfels was a nice town, as were many of the smaller tweeners along the Austin/SA corridor although some are not that great.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:40:33 PM EDT
You can find good schools and great housing if you just stay away from the larger cities. The houses in the more rural areas can be about half the price (or less) than they are when you get closer to the city. The city taxes can be high but there is no state income tax and if you live in the county (not inside of city limites) the taxes can be fairly low.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:54:41 PM EDT
Check out Longview.

I promise you will like the small town feel of the neighborhoods.

$200 to 250 will buy you a really nice home in a nice neighborhood.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 11:48:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By krpind:
Check out Longview.

While the Longview area is not bad, if he wants to move to the Austin/San Antonio area, I don't think he will appreciate the 500 mile round trip commute to and from work. I know this is Texas and we travel a lot but that is a stretch even for us.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:10:12 AM EDT

I'm up here in Indiana looking to move to Texas.  I work for ATT, so a transfer to San Antonio, Austin any major city is possible.  I would like to live 10 to 15 miles outside any major city limits. Looking for a good area with good schools.

ATT [used] to have A LOT of employees in Longview, enough for an appox 4 or 5 story office building.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:46:15 AM EDT

No state income taxes.

but real hi real estate taxs
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:53:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Troll:

No state income taxes.

That may or may not be true. If you live in a more rural county, they can be very low. If you live in the city, especially certain cities, they can be very high.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:12:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tvc184:

No state income taxes.

That may or may not be true. If you live in a more rural county, they can be very low. If you live in the city, especially certain cities, they can be very high.

No cities I know of have a property tax rate that is extremely high, compared to school taxes.

School taxes are the major portion of property taxes in Texas. I'm guessing about 60+% here.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:25:12 AM EDT

Check out Longview.

While the Longview area is not bad, if he wants to move to the Austin/San Antonio area, I don't think he will appreciate the 500 mile round trip commute to and from work. I know this is Texas and we travel a lot but that is a stretch even for us.

I'm not locked in to Austin or San Antonio.  It will be easier to find a transfer to one of the larger citys.  There is a position in San Antonio open that's one of the reason I'm looking there.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:13:38 PM EDT

No state income taxes.

No cities I know of have a property tax rate that is extremely high, compared to school taxes.

School taxes are the major portion of property taxes in Texas. I'm guessing about 60+% here.

Looking at some year 2000 numbers:

ISDs = 59%
Cities = 16%
Counies = 14%
Special Pupose Districts = 11%
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:16:26 PM EDT
DONT FN do it, these guys are GAY!

P.S. you will thank me later
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:58:32 AM EDT
Boerne/Bulverde are about 20-30 min from San Antonio.  Boerne is on I-10, Bulverde is north on Hwy 281.

Both are growing, Hill Country towns which are essentially evolving into bedroom communities for San Antonio.  I've lived in Boerne for 11 years now and love it.  Great schools (both towns), lots of land/develpments outside of city limits so taxes can be much less than in a city.  Several places to shoot, lots of dove and deer.

Definitely worth checking out.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 10:01:37 AM EDT

I live in the Austin area and work right next door to one of AT&T's (formerly SBC) larger offices (Riverplace).  Schools in the Austin area are generally regarded as good by TX standards, but may not be up to the standards you expect up north.  I can't say from personal experience because I grew up in the north and don't have any kids.  You should be able to buy a decent place on your budget that far out of town, since you could actually find a reasonable house in town for that.  In my neighborhood you can easily buy a 2000-2400sq ft house between $120k and $150k, but I am just barely outside the city limits of one of the Austin suburbs.  You don't say what you are looking for in a house or how much land you want, which makes it hard to tell exactly whether your budget is realistic for what you want or not.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:42:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2007 1:52:04 PM EDT by luxs]

Originally Posted By SoftwareJanitor:

I live in the Austin area and work right next door to one of AT&T's (formerly SBC) larger offices (Riverplace).  Schools in the Austin area are generally regarded as good by TX standards, but may not be up to the standards you expect up north.  I can't say from personal experience because I grew up in the north and don't have any kids.  You should be able to buy a decent place on your budget that far out of town, since you could actually find a reasonable house in town for that.  In my neighborhood you can easily buy a 2000-2400sq ft house between $120k and $150k, but I am just barely outside the city limits of one of the Austin suburbs.  You don't say what you are looking for in a house or how much land you want, which makes it hard to tell exactly whether your budget is realistic for what you want or not.

Right now I have a 2000sq ft house 3bd 2ba on 2acres.   I would like to keep the house size the same or bigger.   Lot size I wouldn't want anything less than a 1/2 acre.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:59:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SoftwareJanitor:

Right now I have a 2000sq ft house on 2acres.  I would like to keep the house size the same or bigger.  Lot size I wouldn't want anything less than a 1/2 acre.

You can find what you're looking for most anywhere in the upper end of your price range if you're willing to drive a bit, but beware of traffic near larger cities especially if you are working in the central part of the city. Traffic is brutal--Austin especially, from both North and South. But then San Antonio, Houston and Dallas are also bad during normal commuting hours. I've lived all over and usually wound up getting to the office at 7AM or earlier to avoid the crunch. The secret is to work outside of the beltways and live as close to work as you can.

Top Top