Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 2:58:43 PM EDT
They go nuts.....

I took some bids on siding my house, anywhere from $5300 to $6300.

Well the guy that built my house and I are friends, so I gave him a call and asked him if he wanted to bid on the job, Sure he said...

When all is said and done, I am getting the whole house sided, new gable vents and soffit vents, and my front porch redone with new posts and rails and ballisters.

All for less than the other guys wanted just to side my house. They are foaming at the mouth right now saying, NO WAY he can do all of that, for less $$$$$$

Ahhhhhhhh sometimes, life is good...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I imagine its like throwing a handfull of pennies to the street kids in larado and juarez.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I imagine its like throwing a handfull of pennies to the street kids in larado and juarez.

Ndenway, you weren't throwing pennies at the kids down there! You were trying to get them to introduce you to their virgin sisters!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ndenway, you weren't throwing pennies at the kids down there! You were trying to get them to introduce you to their virgin sisters!

no these were just street kids, I doubt they got a sister thats 18 or older thats a virgin, cause theres a shitload of prostitutes down there, and theres not enough penicillin or jimmies made that I would take a chance with a prostitute,

another strange thing I noticed while down there, they don't have any dogs or cats running around, but all the burrito vendors have fresh meat,

the bull fights in juarez are worth the risk of staying in mexico after dark, just don't drink the corona or anything else outta a bottle you didn't open yourself,

and if you drive across, hire one of the many jobless people to watch your car, and another to carry around anything you buy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh yeah, that's great fun... unless one IS a contractor.

There's nothing I love more than doing complex computations for some guy who has no intention of actually building anything.  Oh, yeah, I'd a whole lot rather be scribbling little notes and crunching numbers than reading arfcom.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

There's nothing I love more than doing complex computations for some guy who has no intention of actually building anything.  Oh, yeah, I'd a whole lot rather be scribbling little notes and crunching numbers than reading arfcom.

Chill...

I am building, well doing remodling, but someone is getting paid. But only one, I can and will shop around for estimates, as well as referances that can be called and property that can be viewed.

It is my money.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Well, don't you want to be productive???? Or are you just looking for something to gripe about today??????
Adding up linear feet or fiquring square foot coverage are very simple calculations. Then factoring in your material cost and labor rates ain't too hard either! That don't seem real complex to me!
What's the matter, psyops? Didn't get any last night?
(Don't worry, 1shott! I got your back with this wild woolly female!}
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, don't you want to be productive???? Or are you just looking for something to gripe about today??????
Adding up linear feet or fiquring square foot coverage are very simple calculations. Then factoring in your material cost and labor rates ain't too hard either! That don't seem real complex to me!
What's the matter, psyops? Didn't get any last night?
(Don't worry, 1shott! I got your back with this wild woolly female!}

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Of course, if she is really gripy, you are on your own! There ain't nothing worse than a bitchy female.
But I think she is just jacking with you! If she gets too obnoxious, we'll see Ndenway over to her office and have him fart a few times! That'll put her in her place!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Of course, if she is really gripy, you are on your own! There ain't nothing worse than a bitchy female.
But I think she is just jacking with you! If she gets too obnoxious, we'll see Ndenway over to her office and have him fart a few times! That'll put her in her place!

Deal.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:25:28 AM EDT
[#10]
How do you know she's a female? I haven't seen the "acman" painted on the toenails yet have you?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Gotta be one or the other. A man pretending to be a female or a female wanting to be a man!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

No! No!  I'll be good!  Anything but that! I love to crunch numbers.  I love those guys who design projects with little tiny odd shaped dimensions!  Yes sir!  Number crunching, expecially for folks who want cheap materials!  I love it.  Call me!  Let me give you a free formal estimate!   Call me ten times a day to revise your plan!  Or let the dreaded Mrs call me with impossible configurations that are architectually impossible.

Seriously, it's slow time of the year around here.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
we'll see Ndenway over to her office and have him fart a few times! That'll put her in her place!

how'd this turn into farting in offices, I thought we were discussing a trip to mexico to throw pennies to street kids to see them fight?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Seriously if your dealing with someone who will drop the pice on contract work their most probably sticking it to you ........ my prices for AC work are set in stone ...... i either get the job or i don't .... i dont need any practice doing the shit
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
we'll see Ndenway over to her office and have him fart a few times! That'll put her in her place!

how'd this turn into farting in offices, I thought we were discussing a trip to mexico to throw pennies to street kids to see them fight?

It's like this - the Mexican kids have labor rates that are negotiable but get raised if you fart in their presence. And if you have deal with a Mexican kid that has an office, farting will probably keep you from going out with his sister, unless you can afford really HIGH labor rates.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
........ my prices for AC work are set in stone ...... i either get the job or i don't .... i dont need any practice doing the shit

Years ago an old lady asked me to put in a 220 AC plug in her living room. She told me she didn't have much money. So I charged her $60 for a $175 job. After I was done, she asked if she could pay me out. I was a little exasperated but said OK. I got a check for $5 every month for a year.
She died about 5 years later. Her son was so pissed off at having to pay an estate tax he went to the Oklahoma Tax Commission and paid the $44,000 tax bill in one dollar bills!
ACman has the right idea!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:20:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Seriously if your dealing with someone who will drop the pice on contract work their most probably sticking it to you ........ my prices for AC work are set in stone ...... i either get the job or i don't .... i dont need any practice doing the shit

Yep!  That's the way it is around here too.  I'll tell somebody "THIS is how much it costs.  Feel free to shop around.  But THIS is what it IS and how THIS is HOW MUCH it costs."

Everytime someone wants an estimate REVISED I find endless things to RAISE the profit margin on.  

WORST of all is dealing with housewives.  I really don't like calling other women bitches,  but the English language is sadly deficient in any other words.  Give me some snaggletoothed old booze hound of a construction foreman any day.  Uh, for business that is  

Please be nice to contractors.  It's not just the Pentagon that ends up getting billed for things like $400.00 dollar toilet seats.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:02:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Please be nice to contractors.  It's not just the Pentagon that ends up getting billed for things like $400.00 dollar toilet seats.

I thought it was hammers that were 4 bills apiece?, I seem to remember the toilet seats being much higher, and the heated ones being twice as much more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top