Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2015 9:48:10 PM EDT
Hey all, So I grew up in Idaho City. First memories are there, and ever since we left when I was little, I've wanted to come back. I've lived in germay, Iowa, Florida, and been all over the world. I always feel like I need to come back to Idaho.

SO. This is where I need your help. Wife has never lived outside of iowa, and while she thinks the state is beautiful(pictures) She is hesitant. She is in the healthcare field(CNA right now working for the state mental health hospital), I work manufacturing, as well as in the Iowa Air National guard as a Security Forces E5(military police). Just recently got my 07 FFL, and have my own at home firearms refinishing business.

Plan is to leave in 3 years when the FFL is up, and gives us plent of time to save up. We love hiking, camping, fishing, shooting(obviously) and want somewhere with great schools, friendly people and affordable to raise our daughter.

I also enjoy taking the jeep exploring, taking pictures of gorgeous scenery(pretty much the entire state) and just overall being in the woods.

Will be looking for jobs over the next few years, as neither one of our jobs have transfer opportunities, But i'm also looking into going back to school with my gibill, just not sure what to go to school for. what is in need in Idaho right now? The VA wants to send me for computer sciences, but im not one to enjoy being behind a desk, but if it provides for the family and I can have plenty of time in the wilderness with them, i'll do just about anything.

Well, hopefully I'll be calling Idaho home once again, and thanks for the help/advice.

James
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Orbital, thanks! The few jobs on there, I wouldn't be able to make the interviews for unless they are willing to do phone interviews. lol. But, Nuclear security is kind of our bread and butter with Security forces....
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#3]
just hope you like wind if you do it.  They are hiring ever year or so
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:50:42 AM EDT
[#4]
yeah, Idaho falls wasn't really on the top of my lists of areas to go to, but I will check it out!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Lots of medical jobs in the Lewis-Clark Valley.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Eastern Idaho= best Idaho.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yeah, Idaho falls wasn't really on the top of my lists of areas to go to, but I will check it out!

As a North Idaho resident, I'll let you keep thinking that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Hahaha. I'd prefer to be surrounded by mountains and forest, so CDA is the area I am leaning heavily towards. The wife, She wants to be able to have horses, and land, which not sure how affordable land is up north
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

any chance you'd throw some pics up of your area?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know right? lol!

7B, and that's all that needs to be said.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everybody says North Idaho ends a couple miles south of where ever they live. It's like how you define an alcoholic - someone that drinks more than their doctor.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Everybody says North Idaho ends a couple miles south of where ever they live. It's like how you define an alcoholic - someone that drinks more than their doctor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you live in the Boise area, N. Idaho is everything above McCall.

Living in Moscow, I though I was in N. Idaho, then I met some guys from Bonners Ferry.

It's all relative.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:26:06 AM EDT
[#14]
SEL is still hiring a lot in Pullman, WA. They do on site manufacturing and even have need of nurses for their on site clinic. Moscow,ID is right across the border. Easy access to hunting/fishing/outdoor activities to the east/south.

Lewiston has the CCI ammunition factory (but it also has the nasty paper mill smell too.)
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I just moved to Lewiston about a week ago.  I absolutely love it.  It may not be the prettiest part of Idaho but the surrounding areas are still beautiful.  I should've moved here 25 years ago instead of to Colorado.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a Southern Idaho Resident who grew up in Eastern Idaho I have to disagree, our winters here are much better, still get snow but not nearly as cold.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:08:30 PM EDT
[#17]
nice thing about east idaho winters is the ability to maintain 70-80 mph on snow because of the cold.  Boise area (and southern Idaho) winters stay warmer, but still get snow on the roads.  Which turns into a slushy, slippery mess.  I did 5 years in Boise and now 5 years in the east.  East is way way better because of amount of traffic, air quality, and winters.  Still wish I could have gotten that job up in Bayview 5 years ago, but it wouldn't have paid as much.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:40:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I love East Idaho. That's why I live here.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#19]
thanks for the replies gents.Been crazy busy the last few weeks, so havn't had the chance to get on here. Wife was CONVICED CO was the better option until I showed here the cost of living. NOPE. lol.

So, basically the ENTIRE state of Idaho is Gorgeous. Growing up near Boise, i remember the Boise National Forest pretty well, and absolutely loved it. The sawtooth mountains are beautiful.

Right now looking for a job that will pay at least what I make now, preferably with options of promotion/making more once I get my degree. looking at the TSA( i know. i hate them too lol) since there is the opportunity to do other jobs within DHS. and even if not, Its a steady job that pays as good or better than what I get now, with fed benies, and gets me to idaho lol, although the only openings are in Lewiston, and twin falls.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not the entire state, drive out toward Atomic city and the INL some time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
thanks for the replies gents.Been crazy busy the last few weeks, so havn't had the chance to get on here. Wife was CONVICED CO was the better option until I showed here the cost of living. NOPE. lol.

So, basically the ENTIRE state of Idaho is Gorgeous. Growing up near Boise, i remember the Boise National Forest pretty well, and absolutely loved it. The sawtooth mountains are beautiful.

Right now looking for a job that will pay at least what I make now, preferably with options of promotion/making more once I get my degree. looking at the TSA( i know. i hate them too lol) since there is the opportunity to do other jobs within DHS. and even if not, Its a steady job that pays as good or better than what I get now, with fed benies, and gets me to idaho lol, although the only openings are in Lewiston, and twin falls.

Not the entire state, drive out toward Atomic city and the INL some time.

Eukatae, Still need some help on the ranch? lol.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Hahaha. Well, don't think i'll be able to make the drive by this afternoon ;)
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#24]
INL 500, every Mon-Thurs 0545-0645 and 1700-1800.  Rain, sun or blizzard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top