Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 1/28/2014 6:07:44 AM EDT

The legislature needs to hear from you RIGHT NOW.  Calls, emails, personal visits, etc. are necessary.  Word is they aren't convinced this will benefit enough people to bother.

Is that true or untrue?  Come one folks, let's get this done!

-Michael
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:46:27 AM EDT
IFC Action Center  <---  USE THIS
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:12:33 AM EDT
Done and sent!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:25:21 AM EDT

Done and sent
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:29:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2014 7:36:57 AM EDT by amaixner]
Any email templates like we had last year with the previous system?  I haven't seen any email action alerts this year either...
(and, emails sent)
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:48:22 AM EDT
Emails and calls completed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:34:23 AM EDT
Made contact with my rep as soon as the news about HF384 came out.

Get educating!  Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, both Dakotas and Wisconsin all allow not only private suppressor ownership, but additionally the hunting of all game animals with suppressors.

Put the question to your rep:  what is wrong with Iowans?  Why are we not to be trusted with the same rights our neighbors have?

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:03:31 AM EDT
Email sent!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:06:08 AM EDT
Emails sent.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:45:59 AM EDT
Sent emails as soon as I heard about this, however I think I will double up using the IFC option.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:14:33 AM EDT
email sent.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:18:37 AM EDT
Done and sent! With every form of communication these people receive, the more they will know how serious we the people are.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:26:13 AM EDT
The bill is HF384 if you want to follow its' progress through the legislature.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:28:20 AM EDT
This is the committee the bill is currently in, if you click on the name of each representative it will give you a page with their email address.  I just sent an email to each one of them individually except for Rep Windschitl, who is sponsoring this bill.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/committees/committee?ga=85&groupID=689

Rep Stan Gustafson's page doesn't list an email, but it's stan dot gustafson (at symb) legis dot iowa dot gov
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:30:55 AM EDT
Done. First time ever contacting my reps. Both democrats
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:37:34 AM EDT
Emails sent, from the governor to the representative and all in between.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:42:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2014 6:31:57 PM EDT by CaesAR15]
Emailing, tweeting, calling, etc. this afternoon.

It'd probably very useful if the IFC and other groups can create a letter that individuals can sign and send - along the lines of what Hornady, Ruger, the NRA-ILA and several others did during the Federal debate over Universal Background Checks that went down about a year ago. Personally speaking I booked marked those pages and hit them usually twice a day (I'm sure my legislators loved it).

For reference:
S&W congressional letter

Regardless, you can count on me to pepper them with several communiques until I hear of progress or otherwise.

ETA - hit up the legislators on the committee listed above.

It may not be perfect, but here's the note I sent to the Reps. Please feel free to copy and paste, or use this as the basis for your own letter, email, correspondence, whatever...

Subject - Support for House File 384

I'd like take a moment to urge you to support House File 384. This measure would make it legal for qualified, responsible, law-abiding civilians to own sound suppressors for their firearms.

Iowa is currently one of only 11 states who's current laws make it illegal for law-abiding gun owners to own suppressors.

If Iowa passes legislation that allows gun owners to purchase suppressors, these items will still be regulated under the National Firearms Act of 1934 - administered by the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives. In the 39 states that currently give their residents the freedom to purchase a suppressors, potential buyers must still:

be a resident of the US
   be legally eligible to purchase a firearm
   pass an extensive BATFE background check
   pay a one-time $200 transfer tax fee per suppressor
   live in a state that allows civilian ownership of suppressors
   be at least 18 years of age

It's a common misconception that suppressors are "silencers" that make a firearm operate without any noticeable noise. This is not accurate, and please do not be fooled by any attempt to describe suppressors as a silencing device. Suppressors work in much the same way as a car muffler - they take hot expanding gasses, trap them, and allow them to cool slowly, thus muffling their sound. This makes them an effective hearing protection device for their users and those around them.

Please allow myself, and my fellow Iowan's to join the residents of 39 other states that allow their residents the freedom own these useful devices.

Respectfully,
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:18:02 PM EDT
I'm mostly a lurker, but I came out of the woodwork for this one.  Signed and sent to my reps.  Oh and I know my tag says NC but I'm active military, coming home to Iowa next month (EAS beeches )
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:32:45 PM EDT
done and sent
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:37:22 PM EDT
Sent my emails in this afternoon too. I'll be permanently back in Iowa starting in May, sure would be nice to see this go through
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:24:30 PM EDT
just got done sending emails. Lets hope we can get this through.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:09:10 PM EDT
Hmm, got an email back from Lundby wanting to talk on the phone, and missed a call from Staed's office during dinner.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:22:07 PM EDT
Sent but I don't have hope for Dan Kelly out of Newton.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:22:36 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CaesAR15:

It may not be perfect, but here's the note I sent to the Reps. Please feel free to copy and paste, or use this as the basis for your own letter, email, correspondence, whatever...
View Quote

Done.  Thanks for the copy/paste-able thoughts.  They sounded great.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:44:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CaesAR15:

snip

View Quote

Thanks for giving me a letter to use!

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:53:53 PM EDT
Sent, this will be my first dealing with Iowa politicians after moving from California
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:41:09 PM EDT
Done.

R
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:05:50 PM EDT
Done and done. Thanks Septic and IFC
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:05:56 PM EDT
I live in NE and shoot at my gun club near Crescent and I sent one. Hopefully the IFC doesn't pepper my dad with mail

It would be AWESOME if I could bring my little metal tubes across the mighty Mo without becoming a felon!!!

Keep up the fight Iowa!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:19:26 PM EDT
In.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:22:55 PM EDT
done
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:48:25 PM EDT
ST13.  Just sent a note to some of my friends from Iowa encouraging them to join IFC and contact their reps.  

I have a suppressor bought and waiting on the stamp here in WI.  Keep pushing guys.  Iowa is making great strides.  Don't slow down.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:52:58 PM EDT
I'll get er sent in the morning but Heaton is a huge f in lying douche bag
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:58:23 PM EDT
Done and done.  Thanks for bringing this up Septic.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:59:17 PM EDT
Done and done.  Thanks for bringing this up Septic.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:29:40 PM EDT
Emails sent.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 1:20:00 AM EDT
Okay, this will trip your triggers, so to speak. I sent emails to Senator Rita Hart and Representative Steven Olson. I sent one to Hart b/c I have spoken with her in person when she was running and she lives fairly close and was hoping she would tell her position. Instead I got a bit more than I had bargained for.

Now remember if any of you email any state legislator to be nice and be polite.

This is the response I got from Hart just hours after I sent mine to her.

Dear Larry:
Thank you for your email concerning gun suppressor ownership.  I appreciate knowing your position on this issue.
The Senate judiciary Chair Rob Hogg has indicated to me that he does not intend to introduce any gun legislation during this session, so I do not believe the bill that is being debated in the House will come to the floor of the Senate.
I do appreciate hearing from you, and I hope that you will continue to contact me on any issue of concern.  Please consider signing up for my newsletter at:  http://www.senate.iowa.gov/senator/hart/newsletter/subscribe-to-my-newsletter/
Sincerely,
Rita

Rita R. Hart
Iowa State Senator
District 49
Serving all of Clinton County and the northern and eastern strips of Scott County
Member of Agriculture, Economic Growth, Education, Local Government, and Veteran's Affairs Committee
Vice-Chair, Economic Development Appropriations Subcommittee
Ph:  515-281-3371;  563-210-1252 (c)
http://www.senate.iowa.gov/senator/hart/newsletter/subscribe-to-my-newsletter/

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 4:51:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2014 9:09:05 AM EDT by CaesAR15]
Originally Posted By river_rat:
---snip---

Dear Larry:
Thank you for your email concerning gun suppressor ownership.  I appreciate knowing your position on this issue.
The Senate judiciary Chair Rob Hogg has indicated to me that he does not intend to introduce any gun legislation during this session, so I do not believe the bill that is being debated in the House will come to the floor of the Senate.
I do appreciate hearing from you, and I hope that you will continue to contact me on any issue of concern.  Please consider signing up for my newsletter at:  http://www.senate.iowa.gov/senator/hart/newsletter/subscribe-to-my-newsletter/
Sincerely,
Rita

Rita R. Hart
Iowa State Senator
District 49

View Quote

I was worried about this very thing. The talk is that since this is an election year neither side will put much out there that could be perceived as controversial (whether it's a gun rights bill, or a bottle bill, or any big spending measures). Don't rock the boat - getting reelected is top priority

But when you think about it, the biggest threat to HF 384 is the perceived lack of public support. So whether this makes it out of committee or not, it's critical that those representatives see a broad show of support in favor of suppressors. Because even if they don't intend to move it forward in an election year, you can bet we'll keep bringing this issue up. And when it's brought up again I, for one, want them to remember that Iowan's came out of the woodwork in support of suppressors 'back in 2014.'

With that said, I'll keep writing until this bill is dead or passed (hopefully you guys do too).
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:37:07 AM EDT
E-mails sent.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 7:19:41 AM EDT
Done!
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 8:11:29 AM EDT
Email sent to Hogg and Olson.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 11:55:00 AM EDT
emails sent to my senator, my rep, the AG and the Gov.

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 11:56:31 AM EDT
I am posting this out of my own ignornace....  

Say the Senate doesnt bring it before the Senate for a vote because of the election year?  Is there a way to make them bring it to the floor?
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 11:58:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By FS2000GUY:

Say the Senate doesnt bring it before the Senate for a vote because of the election year?  Is there a way to make them bring it to the floor?
View Quote

Not in the people's republic of Iowa. The legislative process is as screwed up as the carry permit issuance process used to be.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 12:56:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FS2000GUY:

View Quote

There is no way to force them to review it other than pressure from their constituents voicing their interest/concerns over an issue.

With this being an election year it serves as a double edged sword. While they may try to avoid rocking the boat it gives the voters the option to oust their elected officials if their voice is not heard.

If you are in a district of one of the opposition such as Mr. Hogg then you are in a unique position to express your concerns over blocking the bill from a full senate review. If he does in fact block it you find yourself in the esteemed position of being able to vote him out.

Just look at what the fine people of Colorado achieved, and that was not even an election year.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 12:59:26 PM EDT
Done, thanks Mr Septic.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 1:44:00 PM EDT
Get some quality sample letters together and I will send them out like it was belt fed
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 2:28:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Spart:
This is the committee the bill is currently in, if you click on the name of each representative it will give you a page with their email address.  I just sent an email to each one of them individually except for Rep Windschitl, who is sponsoring this bill.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/committees/committee?ga=85&groupID=689

Rep Stan Gustafson's page doesn't list an email, but it's stan dot gustafson (at symb) legis dot iowa dot gov
View Quote

I get nothing when I click on each members name??
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 3:51:00 PM EDT
Iowa is one of a few states also where Legislation cannot be brought up by petition or the people.  In most states if the people gain enough signatures it can for a issue to be vote on. NOT HERE though

Just more ways to illustrate how screed up it is

In our House and Senate, just one person can say no and a Bill will never come to the floor
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 4:21:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Jond81:
Sent, this will be my first dealing with Iowa politicians after moving from California
View Quote

thanks for hitting the ground running!
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 4:22:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By river_rat:
Okay, this will trip your triggers, so to speak. I sent emails to Senator Rita Hart and Representative Steven Olson. I sent one to Hart b/c I have spoken with her in person when she was running and she lives fairly close and was hoping she would tell her position. Instead I got a bit more than I had bargained for.

Now remember if any of you email any state legislator to be nice and be polite.

This is the response I got from Hart just hours after I sent mine to her.

Dear Larry:
Sincerely,
Rita

Rita R. Hart
Iowa State Senator
District 49
Serving all of Clinton County and the northern and eastern strips of Scott County
Member of Agriculture, Economic Growth, Education, Local Government, and Veteran's Affairs Committee
Vice-Chair, Economic Development Appropriations Subcommittee
Ph:  515-281-3371;  563-210-1252 (c)
http://www.senate.iowa.gov/senator/hart/newsletter/subscribe-to-my-newsletter/

View Quote

ROB HOGG IS NOT THE ONLY ROUTE TO GET THIS DONE...  TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!

we're getting traction, keep it up folks!

if you keep the pressure up, add more folks to the fold, and help build momentum, we have a solid shot at this.  and i mean solid!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Page Hometown » Iowa
Top Top