Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2014 9:32:39 PM EDT
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-town-infamous-for-speed-traps-disbanding-police-force/

Having frequently driven through Waldo, I'm not surprised. I believe ticket quotas are against state law, it's currently being investigated by FDLE.

Five Florida police officers told the Waldo City Council that they’ve been under a quota to write traffic tickets, which is a violation of Florida law.

The Gainesville Sun reports Officer Brandon Roberts told council members on Tuesday night they were required by Chief Mike Szabo to write 12 speeding tickets per 12-hour shift, or face punishment. He offered an electronic presentation and printed emails as evidence.

Roberts said they were speaking up because they no longer have faith in their “chain of command.”

Waldo was ranked as the nation’s third worst speed trap by a national publication in 2012.
View Quote

http://www.wptv.com/news/state/brandon-roberts-waldo-cops-say-theyve-been-under-ticket-quota-by-chief-mike-szabo

Update: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/02/florida-traffic-ticket-trap

The officers also leveled allegations at the 26 August meeting against Cpl Kenneth Smith, who had been picked to fill in for Szabo. The officers complained that Smith had, among other things, mishandled evidence. The city council then suspended Smith.

Not surprisingly, things are tense at the tiny stucco storefront office that serves as Waldo City Hall. On Friday morning, Mayor Louie Davis and City Manager Kim Worley met in a small cluttered office to discuss the controversy, slamming a door shut with a “no comment” when a reporter walked in seeking information

In 2013, Waldo’s seven police officers filed 11,603 traffic citations, according to records obtained by the Gainesville Sun newspaper. That compares with 25,461 citations in 2013 for much larger Gainesville, which has 300 officers and 128,000 residents, including thousands of college students.

The fines paid by motorists are a big money-maker. According to the city’s 2013 budget, about half of its $1m in revenue came from “court fines” from tickets issued.

The State Attorney’s Office in Alachua County said it is waiting for the FDLE to finish its investigation of ticket quotas and other wrongdoing before deciding whether to file charges against either Szabo or Smith. The FDLE did not return a message seeking comment.

The Florida Department of Transportation is in charge of setting speed limits, but says it did factor in requests from Waldo officials when setting up speed limits there.

Because the stretch of highway with six different speed limits runs by schools and a popular flea market that draws many pedestrians, the department said the speed changes are legal. But enforcing speed limits is Waldo’s responsibility, said Tony Falotico, a traffic operations engineer at FDOT.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Having frequently driven through Waldo, I'm not surprised. I believe ticket quotas are against state law, it's currently being investigated by FDLE.

Five Florida police officers told the Waldo City Council that they’ve been under a quota to write traffic tickets, which is a violation of Florida law.

The Gainesville Sun reports Officer Brandon Roberts told council members on Tuesday night they were required by Chief Mike Szabo to write 12 speeding tickets per 12-hour shift, or face punishment. He offered an electronic presentation and printed emails as evidence.

Roberts said they were speaking up because they no longer have faith in their “chain of command.”

Waldo was ranked as the nation’s third worst speed trap by a national publication in 2012.
View Quote

http://www.wptv.com/news/state/brandon-roberts-waldo-cops-say-theyve-been-under-ticket-quota-by-chief-mike-szabo
View Quote

Personally... I'd like to see Florida do away with small Police Departments.  I'd like to see someone answer for this one... making enforcement decisions based off quotas is NOT the road to go down.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally... I'd like to see Florida do away with small Police Departments.  I'd like to see someone answer for this one... making enforcement decisions based off quotas is NOT the road to go down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Meaning just using sheriff's offices and metro police?

The part that stood out most to me was:
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#3]
He offered an electronic presentation and printed emails as evidence.
View Quote

Ouch! Nothing new to us locals though, Waldo is/was only eclipsed by the Hampton PD. You can google it if interested. I believe they've since done away with the Hampton PD. Alachua PD is rapidly trying to outpace Waldo's reputation. Mind you I don't have a problem with those that are 15-20 or more over posted, but Waldo would ding people for being over 45 when they passed the sign where 55 went to 45 and lecture motorists that said: "but I was slowing down"  "45 means 45 when you pass the sign sir, please sign here....."
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:17:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I might get hammered for this... but small Police Departments have a tendency to become gathering places for those who can't go anywhere else, if you know what I mean... the small 2-man to 5-man places are usually in economically depressed areas, small towns with little to no tax base, and generally pay extremely poorly... do the math.  This is NOT just a Florida thing... it's everywhere.

Now with that said, I also happen to know some small places have very capable individuals who are extremely professional in what they do... but I consider them the exception and not the rule.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:50:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I might get hammered for this... but small Police Departments have a tendency to become gathering places for those who can't go anywhere else, if you know what I mean... the small 2-man to 5-man places are usually in economically depressed areas, small towns with little to no tax base, and generally pay extremely poorly... do the math.  This is NOT just a Florida thing... it's everywhere.

Now with that said, I also happen to know some small places have very capable individuals who are extremely professional in what they do... but I consider them the exception and not the rule.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

agreed completely, kid i knew in our early 20's got on at a small local dept. he had had his drivers lic. suspended twice,
and had a bankruptcy. no one would hire him until he found this little dept. he was fired a couple years later for misconduct.
now he is a cop in another state at another small agency.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I always got a kick out of this.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

First time I saw that billboard, I thought it was an ad for a new bar in Waldo
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#9]
They use to stand in the middle of the school zone in waldo waiting for it to go off, any cars caught in the middle when the flashing school light turned on doing  the posted 35 MPH was flagged to pull over and given a $190 dollar ticket........ Problem is you can't tell when the lights turn on if you've already driven past them.  

They got my wife like this one day along with three other vehicles.... Gave her a ticket for doing 5 mph over the posted speed of the school zone... cop told her if he wrote it for the 15 over, the cost would be high, so take the 5 mph, as he was giving her a break!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#10]
The has to be the worst keep secret in Florida other than Crist being gay.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#11]
GOOD

so can I get my $300 from 4 years ago refunded?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I was under the impression Waldo PD was one of the reasons the law was passed in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I go thru there about two times a month and more in collage football season - I do not even to stop to buy a pack of gum in that shit hole of a town!

Red

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I go thru there about two times a month and more in collage football season - I do not even to stop to buy a pack of gum in that shit hole of a town!

Red

View Quote

Me and another soldier (who I didn't know but was also in uniform) got tickets at the same time by the little fuc*tard. He pulled us both over at the same time. It was my first time going up to Blanding. I was driving the posted 65 speed limit then it went to 45 real quick and he gave me a ticket for that. Went into the little podunk pos PD which was literally 3 rooms just to see what a shit hole it was. I never drove past there again. Always go around (Rt21 which really isn't out of the way. It was the little fu**tard in the middle. If they disagreed why didn't all 3 of them not do it. They take an oath to the Constitution not a POS Sheriff. Just like I took an Oath to the Constitution not the Commander and Chief. If I was asked to do something like taxation without representation it would be my duty to disobey those orders. But since any retard can become a cop it makes sense that they went along like sheaple.

No wonder people hate police. If they knew it was illegal they should have said something in the beginning.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Roberts said they were speaking up because they no longer have faith in their "chain of command.”

Good luck with that.... the Florida Sheriff's Association will fight that tooth and nail. If small PDs go then under their thinking so will they.

I think it should be set up like this.

Unified State Police Agency (Plain Clothes Investigations and Uniform Patrol) handling all the unincorporated parts of the State.

County Sheriff handling the County Jails, Evictions, and County Courts.

City PDs handling their cities.

The Cities themselves should be limited on how small they can be before they form a PD. City of Miami.... Sure. City of Midway (Gadsen County) Hell no.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#16]
living in Gainesville, I drive often through Waldo.  Never got a ticket there, because I know they write them often, and keep an eye on my speed.  The signs are well placed, and only a person not paying attention can get a ticket.
I think the info presented so far is misleading.  None of the emails, or memos that have been presented so far say 'quota'.  My guess is that there are some disgruntled employees, using this as a way to go after the boss.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I was under the impression Waldo PD was one of the reasons the law was passed in the first place.
View Quote
No, there were a couple of places that had minimum space along the highway that used to drop the speed limit from 55-35 for about 50 yards, and have a radar trap set up in that space--the only space that the city had along the highway.

Waldo has the largest rap (you should see all the shiny new patrol cars they have), but I always found Stark to be worse for speed traps.  Of course that was 20 years ago, things have surly changed.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Good luck with that.... the Florida Sheriff's Association will fight that tooth and nail. If small PDs go then under their thinking so will they.

Unified State Police Agency (Plain Clothes Investigations and Uniform Patrol) handling all the unincorporated parts of the State.

The Cities themselves should be limited on how small they can be before they form a PD. City of Miami.... Sure. City of Midway (Gadsen County) Hell no.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roberts said they were speaking up because they no longer have faith in their "chain of command.”

Take a look at what has happened in Citrus county... we took over our county seat's PD last year...
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Take a look at what has happened in Citrus county... we took over our county seat's PD last year...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Flowing the path of BSO I see
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Looks like we may have to take over LE operations for another municipality in the near future...
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Yea Dawsey runs everything from the dog catcher to fire/rescue now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:28:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Hampton almost lost it's city charter for the BS - they annexed some 500 yards of 301 and started running the same game as Waldo.  Funny a one red light and two stop signs town had some 12 police cars (some crazy number like that).

Waldo has so many police cars that they have to park them in the gas station parking lot on the outskirts of town - all paid for by tickets - to me they are nothing but a bunch of whores turned out to make their man some money!

Warning to all = do not speed on 301 from I-10 to 441.  I thought it was funny when a guy asked me for directions to Tampa at US 90 and I-10...When I asked him were he was coming from - he said SC - he was going over an hour out of his way to avoid Waldo.

Sad

Red

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yea Dawsey runs everything from the dog catcher to fire/rescue now.
View Quote

I believe you might be able to offer some insight to small PD's...  How ya been?  Long time no see...
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:\]Ouch! Nothing new to us locals though, Waldo is/was only eclipsed by the Hampton PD. You can google it if interested. I believe they've since done away with the Hampton PD. Alachua PD is rapidly trying to outpace Waldo's reputation. Mind you I don't have a problem with those that are 15-20 or more over posted, but Waldo would ding people for being over 45 when they passed the sign where 55 went to 45 and lecture motorists that said: "but I was slowing down"  "45 means 45 when you pass the sign sir, please sign here....."[/span]
View Quote

APD is nowhere near as bad as they were 15 years ago. Friday night Wolf Packs once a month on I-75 for 6 hours. I think the most they did was 125 stops with a 115 written.  About $6K in fines if my memory is correct.  Now it seems the emphasis is on school zone enforcement. Fines are bigger and it looks good to be out "protecting the children".

As for Waldo, at one point under a previous Chief they generated 150% of the cities budget in revenue from traffic fines.

Starke isn't as bad as people make it out to be. In fact I can't ever recall being on 301 and seeing a Starke PD car on a traffic stop.  I think they get their rep just by being stuck in the middle of Waldo, Hampton and Lawtey.

Here's a real simple solution to the problem, stop allowing cities to profit from fines. Or at least drop the percentage they get from them.  If a municipality only got say 10% there wouldn't be as much financial interest in writing tickets.

As for tickets from SO and big city PDs:  GPD's traffic unit had two officers write over 5K tickets in a year, I can't remember if that was combined or each officer. But either way that's a crap ton for 2 guys to generate.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#25]
It could be worse - check this out!

I have never been pulled over in Waldo or Starke, I always make a point to slow down to the point that I'm obnoxious.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The has to be the worst keep secret in Florida other than Crist being gay.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Having grown up in Fl and the fact that I still need to go thru Waldo to see family, I can tell you that tickets are the only thing Waldo is famous for. They will ticket for 5 over if you are from out of state. The reason is that there is absolutely NO REASON to go to Waldo, but everyone goes THRU Waldo, except for MAYBE the antique mall on 301. This is how that place makes $. Also on that 301 corridor south of Baldwin, look out for Hawthorne and Lawtey. There's one spot where you can see with the naked eye 3 speed limit signs and they each have a different number on them. So if you blink, you are going 15 MPH over.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm shocked!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think most agree with you on that.

I would like to hear what benefits these small towns with a force of say a dozen officers can really provide over having 6 more added to the sheriffs office.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:17:31 AM EDT
[#30]
taxation without representation...umm didn't we have a war over something like that at one point
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think most agree with you on that.

I would like to hear what benefits these small towns with a force of say a dozen officers can really provide over having 6 more added to the sheriffs office.  

Most claim that by having their own agency and officers that they have better coverage and protection. They claim if they relied on an outside agency for service that they would not be as covered due to that agency shifting manpower to other areas of the county.

Example - City of Spanish Moss disbands it's agency of twenty officers (ten per 12 hour shift) and contracts with the County Sheriff Office. The County of Dogwood takes those ten officers  as part of the contract. Instead of having those ten officers work Spanish Moss six are sent to neighboring areas like Ghettoville, SlumTown, and RapeCity. So now Spanish Moss is being serviced by two officers per shift instead of ten.

That is the claim many cities use to keep their small agencies.

But that is an issue of contract negotiation.

The Town of Miami Lakes when it incorporated as a city contracted with Miami Dade Police Department. The contract stated that 65 MDPD Officers will work as Miami Lakes Cops. Their cars have Miami Lakes marking and their uniforms are also marked with Miami Lakes Patches. They are primarily assigned to work Miami Lakes and do except for Priority 3 calls in neighboring areas due to mutual aid agreements. Miami Lakes has not had issues with the contract services due to proper contract negotiation.

A lot of these Po'Dunk agencies and cities use police power as a money making system. Traffic enforcement, red light cameras, etc..... Also it is used as political tools for further corruption.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#33]
I was through Waldo yesterday.  Average speed up US 301 was in excess of 65 mph.  No cops in sight at all.

Look for crime in general to spike up now in Waldo as well.   This morning, I'll be driving up to Jax again, and I bet I still won't see any ASO presence  there.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think the info presented so far is misleading.  None of the emails, or memos that have been presented so far say 'quota'.  My guess is that there are some disgruntled employees, using this as a way to go after the boss.
View Quote

I think the part about seven officers in waldo writing half as many tickets as 300 officers in gainesville in the same year says it all.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Good
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I was through Waldo yesterday.  Average speed up US 301 was in excess of 65 mph.  No cops in sight at all.

Look for crime in general to spike up now in Waldo as well.   This morning, I'll be driving up to Jax again, and I bet I still won't see any ASO presence  there.
View Quote

ASO will handle crime. After all they have jurisdiction there even if Waldo PD wasn't disbanded.

I'm glad that they disbanded such a corrupt agency.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

The town should've done something about their police force long before it became a major problem.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

ASO will handle crime. After all they have jurisdiction there even if Waldo PD wasn't disbanded.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Waldo is hardly as corrupt as say Sweetwater, Hialeah, Miami Springs, and all the other little cash cows in Dade County.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Waldo is hardly as corrupt as say Sweetwater, Hialeah, Miami Springs, and all the other little cash cows in Dade County.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want them to disband those agencies too... except for Hialeah. They aren't corrupt they're just different culturally.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I want them to disband those agencies too... except for Hialeah. They aren't corrupt they're just different culturally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We just took over another city in our county, that's two small PD's we've taken over for.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#41]
the latest info on Waldo

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20141005/ARTICLES/141009790/0/FRONTPAGE
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
the latest info on Waldo

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20141005/ARTICLES/141009790/0/FRONTPAGE
View Quote

Love that photo. One of my accounts in Ocala showed this to me.

Made it Hot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top