Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 2:08:30 AM EDT
Is there a waiting period for firearm purchase in IL?  How long is it?
If an IL resident buys a firearm in one of the adjacent 5 states, does the NICS automatically put a delay to reflect the waiting period required by the state of IL?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:03:58 AM EDT
[#1]
As to the first question, yes there is a waiting period.  24 hours for long guns, 72 hours for handguns.

EDIT: Source: 720 ILCS 5/24‑3  LINK

There are also age restrictions (i.e. 18 and 21).

I'm not sure about the answer to your second question.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:59:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I have a friend from IL but going to school in MO.  He wanted to purchase a long gun from a dealer in MO.  Got delayed.  It was his first ever 4473, so he did not know what to expect.  He is 20 yrs old, so he is of legal age to buy the long gun.  So 24 hrs waiting period for long gun?  I will see if NICS comes back and approves his transfer after 24 hrs.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:28:55 AM EDT
[#3]
His delay had nothing to do with it.  Mine are always approved instantly.  NCIS isn't where the waiting period comes in, it's an Illinois State law.  Your FFL just holds onto your firearm for 24 hours.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#4]
law should go back to home state.... IA residents can go in.. buy a gun and walk out with it... IL you have to wait 24/72.. tried to buy a gun in IA and they told me i would have to wait the 24 hours since i was from IL...

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#5]
no waiting period in kentucky for ill residents on long guns
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
no waiting period in kentucky for ill residents on long guns

Wrong.  If you do not comply with Illinois law, you have committed a crime.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#7]
FFL's are supposed to follow the law from the state in which they reside.  However a less well known fact is that the waiting period now starts when you fill out the 4473. This change in effect can negate the waiting period when you order a gun from a dealer.
I know this to be fact as I am a FFL and am up on the laws.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, thus why I go in and fill out my 4473 before my firearms even arrive, so I can get them when they come in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top