Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 6:04:41 PM EST
Anybody know what this stuff is going for at walmart now? The last time I was there it was $20 for the 100 RD value pack.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:01:19 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:49:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By BookHound:
I bought a couple boxes last week at the WallyWorld in Winder. Cost was like $20 and change before tax. It used to be just under $20, so it's gone up a bit, but less than $1.

This stuff shoot decent?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:57:13 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:37:32 AM EST

Other than occasional box of carry ammo, the WWB stuff is all I have ever shot out of two Kimbers and a SA Mil-spec. Works fine, accurate, reasonable price.

I am in the market for a new .45 I really like the Kimbers and SA's, I can't seem to decide between the two. Oh well guess I have to get both I think that is ARFCOM rule #10 or something.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:52:47 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:11:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/13/2006 5:12:23 AM EST by KJCA3]

Personal preferance thing for sure.

But, I will tell you some things I learned along the way.

Grip safety
I'll never again buy a 1911 without a beavertail grip safety. The hammer bite I would get from the Mil-spec truly made the gun not fun to shoot. I bought the parts (grip safety, hammer and sear) to have a local 'smith install the new beavertail safety for me. Long story short, I spent more money in the long run by upgrading the safety than buying one factory installed. Plus, the pistol does not look as good as a factory one and it took a lot longer time than promised by the 'smith to do the work.

Trigger
I found I much prefer the length of pull offered by the longer triggers. Compare the short Mil-spec trigger to any Kimber or a SA Loaded and see what I mean.

Thumb Safety
I much prefer the longer thumb safety of the Kimber. The short safeties are harder for me to opperate quickly.

Sights
I found a NEED for night sights. Better to get them from the factory. You'll pay more in the long run to change them later.

Adjustable sights are for a target-only pistol. Fixed sights for me.

Extractor
Although I have had no problems with my one Kimber external extractor model, I much prefer the internal extractor. Kimber has gone back to this. I bet for a reason. Some people have had lots of problems.

Other
All that fancy checkering does nothing for me and costs a lot of extra cash. Glad I didn't get it.

I've had no problems with Wilson 47D mags. I like them best.

Hope this helps. You can try my pistols any time you want. My favorite 1911 is a Kimber Custom II with Night Sights. All the fancy high-end stuff does nothing for me.

Mark

Wow, thanks for all of the info man, I have not put to many rounds through handguns (only a .357 wheelgun) but a 1911 style pistol will be my next purchase, probably when the next gunshow in Cobb rolls around. I had no clue about any of that stuff so thanks I will be a better informed buyer now, and I appreciate the offer to check out your pistols I might have to take you up on that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:28:22 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:38:56 PM EST

This stuff shoot decent?

Yes but in my experience it shoots pretty dirty. I have since switched to use Georgia Arms for my target ammo which shoots great and cleaner.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:40:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By DHB:

This stuff shoot decent?

Yes but in my experience it shoots pretty dirty. I have since switched to use Georgia Arms for my target ammo which shoots great and cleaner.

I can agree to that - WWB is pretty dirty.

Then again, the last time I shot WWB .45 was when I met A-Train and Bookhound at ACM and proceeded to dump about 600 rounds of it downrange.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:13:25 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:01:17 PM EST
I bought a new Kimber Stainless TLE/RL II today. I live in Villa Rica, the home of Georgia Arms. I went by their shop and bought 500 rounds of their "canned heat" in .45ACP - 230 grain FMJ for $105. It's the same price as Wal-Mart if you were to buy 5 boxes at Wal-Mart. This stuff shoots soooooo much cleaner than WWB. I've never had any issues with any of their ammo.

I also bought 230 grain +P gold dots from them which are factory new, not reloads. It was $16 for 50 rounds. That's a price that is hard to beat for good quality carry ammo.
Top Top