Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/1/2006 1:51:17 AM EDT
I live in Wardensville WV, Hardy county. Its an extreamly small town. I was wondering if my local PD would be able to issue me the permit after I completed all the requirments. I hear that some small town PD's do not have the paper work required to complete a CCL.

If not where else would I be able to get the license in WV?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:19:41 AM EDT
You should check with your county sheriff's office. According to packing.org, they should be able to do it. Couldn't find anything about it on the state .gov site.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:29:22 AM EDT
In my case (Federick Co. VA) the county clerk has all the paperwork you need, PD just signs off.........Udog
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:12:06 AM EDT
The Sheriffs office can handle it all. If it can be done in Pocahontas Co., it can be done anywhere.One benefit is time,I got mine in 1 week.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:10:04 AM EDT
Here's a little information I uncovered about WV's concealed carry laws. Highlighted in red (Got Me)

Source

Concealed Weapons Permits
Permits to carry a concealed weapon (CCW) are issued by the Office of the Sheriff following application and a background clearance check. To be eligible for a CCW permit, you must be a resident of the West Virginia county in which you apply. Certain classes of people, including convicted felons, are precluded from holding a CCW permit.

To apply, you must personally go to the Sheriff’s office to obtain an application. At the time you submit an application you will be required to show your Driver’s License or state-issued identification card and your certificate of firearms training (an NRA firearms safety class or similar training qualifies).

With your application, the Sheriff’s Office will collect a $60 fee. If you successfully pass a criminal background check by the West Virginia State Police, the Sheriff’s Office will issue a CCW permit, which is effective for five years. To receive the permit, you must personally appear at the Sheriff’s office and pay a $15 permit fee.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Do I have to carry my CCW permit with me?

A. You must have a Photo ID and CCW on your person when carrying a concealed weapon in West Virginia. West Virginia’s permit is a handgun permit only and does not allow for the carrying of other deadly weapons such as knives and billy clubs.

Q. Does a CCW permit allow me to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle ?

A. West Virginia state law prohibits carrying a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle, regardless if one possesses a CCW permit.

Q. I live outside of West Virginia and I have a concealed carry permit for a firearm in my home state. Does West Virginia honor my permit?

A. West Virginia currently honors concealed weapon permits issued by the State of Kentucky and the State of Virginia. Currently, no other out-of-state concealed carry permits are honored. Our law was changed to permit reciprocal agreements with other states and our Governor's Office is beginning that process. Please consult with authorities in your state in order to determine if a reciprocal agreement has been made with West Virginia.

Q. Are there places where I am prohibited from carrying a concealed weapon?

A. Yes. Weapons are forbidden in courthouses, family law masters office, magistrate’s office, primary and secondary school property including school buses. Any facility that is being used for a primary or secondary school function while that function is going on. Anywhere a sign is posted saying No Firearms Allowed. The signs do not have to be of any set size or design. All Federal restrictions apply. Firearms are not permitted in federal buildings, post offices, military compounds, federal courthouses, and the like.

Q. Is it lawful to carry uncased hunting weapons (e.g. rifles, shotguns, and pistols) in my vehicle when I travel in West Virginia?

A. Weapons intended for hunting must be unloaded and in a case when transported in a vehicle.

Q. I am a police officer from another state who will be traveling through West Virginia. May I lawfully carry my service weapon?

A. West Virginia law permits anyone who can lawfully possess a handgun to carry an unconcealed handgun. If you choose to carry an unconcealed handgun in your vehicle and you are stopped for a traffic violation, you must understand that the handgun will immediately attract the attention of the police officer. The presence of the handgun may lead to action by the officer such as drawing his or her weapon, ordering you from your vehicle, and performing a pat-down search. Vehicle stops are inherently dangerous for police officers and these actions have been held to be lawful by the United States Supreme Court.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:01:13 PM EDT
Source: WV State Police FAQ

Q. Is it lawful to carry weapons (e.g. rifles, shotguns, and pistols) in my vehicle when I travel in West Virginia?

A. Individuals who possess a valid concealed carry permit may carry a concealed handgun in a motor vehicle for purpose of self defense only. West Virginia permits anyone who can lawfully possess a handgun to carry an unconcealed handgun. If you choose to carry an unconcealed handgun in your vehicle and are stopped by a law-enforcement officer, you must understand that that the weapon will immediately attract the attention of the police officer. The presence of the weapon may lead to action by the officer to ensure his or her safety such as the drawing of his or her weapon, ordering you from the vehicle, and/or performing a pat-down search. Weapons intended for hunting must be unloaded and in a case when transported in a vehicle. It is strongly recommended that, if you do not have a valid concealed carry permit, while traveling in a vehicle, that all firearms be unloaded and cased in a location in the vehicle that is not readily accessible to any of the occupants. Any ammunition should be stored in a separate location from the firearm.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:13:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 5:13:46 PM EDT by TrashHeap]
Definately a conflict of interests there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:34:00 AM EDT
Trasheap I think the Hardy Co sheriffs website is incorrect,IIRC you can even carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle without the permit as long as it isnt concealed.The class I had here in Berkeley Co,the county prosecuter came in and answered questions,and this was one of the things she was asked.The WV supreme court ruled a few years ago that open carry of loaded handguns is legal,the only thing the permit allows you to do is throw a coat on over it.About the only place where the law gets fuzzy is when traveling through public hunting lands under the DNR's control,ie Sleepy Creek with any loaded firearm in your vehicle.If stopped by a DNR officer that is a prick he could try to say you were poaching.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:20:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By colklink:
About the only place where the law gets fuzzy is when traveling through public hunting lands under the DNR's control,ie Sleepy Creek with any loaded firearm in your vehicle.

posted on packing.org

Lt. Colonel Bill Daniel
Deputy Chief
WVDNR Law Enforcement Section, sent me the following

Confirming that a person with a valid WV Concealed Carry License or a License/Permit honored by the State of West Virginia can carry a firearm concealed in State Parks in West Virginia even with a sign posted saying all firearms must be cased. All firearms but your concealed carry firearm must be unloaded and cased in a West Virginia State Park.

Top Top