Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 6:48:32 PM EDT
I have a Norinco 120 round AR drum that has issues.

I've also posted this question on Bower's Board, Sturm and AR-15.com  M-16 forum and not a single response so you guys are my last hope. Could I have the only Norinco drum that has issues? That'd be just my luck.

I took it to the range for the 1st time last Sat. It was properly loaded and I was ready for some fun with my M-16.

When I charged the bolt the round hit to low in the receiver and jammed the bullet back in the brass. I thought my gun might have issues so I borrowed my friend's factory Colt and it had the same problem.

I currently have the drum in front of me am I can't push a round out of the drum W/O it hanging up to the point it stops.

I don't have access to another drum to compare, otherwise I wouldn't be having this problem.

I also tried a google search but it returned nothing.

Does anybody have one that works that I could borrow for a few days as a last resort?

TD
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Sell it to me and I'll make it proud again...

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#2]
If I can't get it running I'll do just that.

What's the secret??

TD
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmmm.................Is this a back feed drum like for the Ak's? Does the back cover swing open or is this a top loading drum like the Romanina's?

If it is a standard Chinese (swing open drum) are you sure you wound it up properly? The first time I used my drum I didn't wind it properly so it didn't have the full force of the spring behind it, pushing the round up.

Unload the drum and push the release button in the middle (use gloves, mine has chewed a hand or two). Once the spring has been released, re-load and wind, wind, wind, wind (keep winding) it up again.

If that doesn't work, you could dremel the part of the mag that it is hitting on........but, Chinese AR drums are rare so you would be better off trading it for a Beta before you started messing with it.

Accountant
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#4]
This is a Norinco drum you load  from the back.

You might be onto something. I didn't wind and wind for fear I might damage the spring. I wound it until the pressure on the ammo in the feed tower felt about right to me.

The 120 round AR drum is basically the 100 round AK drum with a AR feed tower.

How many times do you need to wind your drum for proper function?

TD
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I am not even sure how it would run in the RPK...But I would like to give it a shot!!! Is the feed tower part of the stamping or a removable unit?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#6]
It's riveted on the  drum.

You can find 100 round AK drums much cheaper than the AR variant which are many times rarer than the AK version. The 100 round AK drum and the 120 round AR drum is the same unit with different feed towers. The AR drum can hold an additional 20 rounds because the 5.56 is smaller than the 7.62 ammo.  

TD
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:58:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This is a Norinco drum you load  from the back.

You might be onto something. I didn't wind and wind for fear I might damage the spring. I wound it until the pressure on the ammo in the feed tower felt about right to me.

The 120 round AR drum is basically the 100 round AK drum with a AR feed tower.

How many times do you need to wind your drum for proper function?

TD

Wind it until it stops. You won't hurt it.

ETA:.......and you will know when it is time to stop, just keep winding until it happens.

Accountant
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Did it work?

BTW, nice looking carbine. If there are more at that price, please let me know.

Accountant
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I adjusted the feed lips, improved the angle where the round meets the feed tower and wound it up good and tight. Where would we be W/O the Dremel?

It seems to be working when I cycle it by hand but that's a lot slower than 750 RPM's. I won't know if I worked out the bugs until I get back to the range.

Thanks for all the tips.

TD
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's riveted on the  drum.

You can find 100 round AK drums much cheaper than the AR variant which are many times rarer than the AK version. The 100 round AK drum and the 120 round AR drum is the same unit with different feed towers. The AR drum can hold an additional 20 rounds because the 5.56 is smaller than the 7.62 ammo.  

TD

Thats a 223 RPK
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#11]
OK, but still no dice..........

You could always buy a 100 r0und AK or 120 round AR drum and modify the feed tower.

TD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top