Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2004 3:05:14 PM EDT
For example, one you have to have "sponsors", "get recommended by three members", "have to wear a certain size shoe", etc? WHat happened to helping the sport grow? Making it very elitist isnt gonna make it grow. I'm fine with filing out a membership app and for them to check to see if you are legal to have firearms, but when you need to "know" people to enjoy a HOBBY, it gets rather lame.

Since our shooting pit got shut down (thanks to some idiot kids who decided to shoot OVER the burm and hit a house half a mile away), theres really no place to shoot rifle and pistol from the same range or to use for sighting in rifles for deer season. Beloit Gun CLub is out of the question. After seeing how they treat people during public sight in days, nope.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a frustrating thing, I agree, but I think you answered your own question:

Quoted:
Since our shooting pit got shut down (thanks to some idiot kids who decided to shoot OVER the burm and hit a house half a mile away), theres really no place to shoot rifle and pistol from the same range or to use for sighting in rifles for deer season.

That is exactly what the gun clubs are trying to prevent happening to them.  And they use the best method they can which is to rely on their current members to reccommend only safe shooters as new members.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#2]
good thing we have lots of woods up here.  we have a great range in superior, no hassles (except during oct-hunters sighting in) no weird rules, etc.

Link Posted: 8/8/2004 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
good thing we have lots of woods up here. have

We HAD a great range just north of Janesville until some punks decide to shoot over teh top of teh hill and hit a house half mile away. Only other range I liked (key word LIKED) is west of Whitewater, but the guy who runs it had a complete hissy fit when my dad and brother came out to sight their rifles in. Before we came out he said it was OK as long as they bought some ammo from him (which wasnt a problem). Oh well. Looks like I'll be driving down to Ottawa, IL or by Belvedere at a friends moms b/f's house to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
For example, one you have to have "sponsors", "get recommended by three members", "have to wear a certain size shoe", etc?

What clubs are you talking about? Does Daniel Boone require this?
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Off the top of my head, 7 Mile requires a sponsor.

Av.
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Off the top of my head, 7 Mile requires a sponsor.

Av.

Was that you with Batch at 7 mile the other day?
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
For example, one you have to have "sponsors", "get recommended by three members", "have to wear a certain size shoe", etc? WHat happened to helping the sport grow? Making it very elitist isnt gonna make it grow. I'm fine with filing out a membership app and for them to check to see if you are legal to have firearms, but when you need to "know" people to enjoy a HOBBY, it gets rather lame.

Since our shooting pit got shut down (thanks to some idiot kids who decided to shoot OVER the burm and hit a house half a mile away), theres really no place to shoot rifle and pistol from the same range or to use for sighting in rifles for deer season. Beloit Gun CLub is out of the question. After seeing how they treat people during public sight in days, nope.

The range I joined required you to have one sponsor and put in work hours... The first year membership is also $185.

However, this perticular range has 600/300/200, 500/300/200, 100, and 25yd ranges, plus trap, skeet, and archery.

Well worth it, IMHO... Especially since they DO have one range (100yd)  that is pistol/rifle friendly...

P.S. I am referring to RCLR, aka '7 mile'...

There are plenty of folks on this board who will sponsor you if you wish to join, it's in Oak Creek, however, so it may be a ways away...

Boone is similar, IIRC, but a tad more restrictive on what can be shot where, and they don't have the longer ranges....
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Nope, I think that was Marksman. I'll be up there this weekend - Sunday sometime.

Av.
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 4:37:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Nope, I think that was Marksman. I'll be up there this weekend - Sunday sometime.

Av.

nah wasn't marksman i met him a couple weeks back at the NFA shoot.
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#10]
My club has the Sponsor rule and its a good thing. It keeps people that maybe assholes from getting in.

My advice is to go to the club and just talk with a few members. Explain you are looking for a sponsor and the members will take it from there. If you seem normal someone will sponsor you. Oh take your shoot rig with you. The member could/will invite you to shoot with him as a check out.

Its easy dont let the rules scare you away.
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#11]
once again, glad i live up north and have all those gravel pits, woods, and open unsupervised ranges to shoot at.  and then when i do go to the city range, the RO likes me so i can do pretty much whatever i want.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 5:12:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Photo-
We should be at 7 mile on Sunday...whenever we get up and make it there. The guy I brought last time was MG Brian, We will see if he joins. I am just waiting for my tannerite to show up. I hope I have it by Sunday.

Batch114
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Photo-
We should be at 7 mile on Sunday...whenever we get up and make it there. The guy I brought last time was MG Brian, We will see if he joins. I am just waiting for my tannerite to show up. I hope I have it by Sunday.

Batch114

I'll be there sunday in the morning if I have off if i work I'll be out in the afternoon.  Just took the scope off the AR to do some work on  the gun. I got to get some new rings and a QD riser mount.....
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Thats what I was told when I asked about the range near Stoughton. Guy at Gander says he's a member there and you need 3 people to "sponsor" you.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thats what I was told when I asked about the range near Stoughton. Guy at Gander says he's a member there and you need 3 people to "sponsor" you.

Damn do they needa blood/urine sample too?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I was a member at stoughton.
Now I just go to Lodi to shoot.    
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm in Milwaukee.

Was thinking of joining Daniel Boones; toured the facility once.

I'm planning on checking out Saukville in early Sept.

If I could ride someone's coat-tails for a trip to 7-mile, early-mid sept, that'd be cool.
I'd like to learn to shoot some distance.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#18]
So is Lodi open to the public or a members only place?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone know of any ranges in the Sheboygan county area that are accepting new members,its getting real sick to see all my toys sitting collecting dust.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Anyone know of any ranges in the Sheboygan county area that are accepting new members,its getting real sick to see all my toys sitting collecting dust.

Check out saukville. That's not too far away.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top