Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2003 12:12:32 PM EDT
Freeway Divider by a nose....

I borrowed my younger brother's truck this weekend for a trip over Snoqualmie Pass in case there was any unexpected snow flurries (there weren't) and I left my STi in his caring hands. Well, he took care of it alright. My older brother was in town from LA and in a glaring lack of judgment my younger brother (a Mercedes-Benz technician and all around capable driver) let my older brother (an electronics technician who has never owned a car other than a Honda Accord) drive my car. My older brother has never truly experienced what my STi can (and can't) do. He is also the brother that managed 4 speeding tickets in a 36 hour period on the same stretch of I-90. A generally aggressive, impatient, Type-A personality driver that doesn't understand that a 300hp AWD sport sedan does not handle like a 130hp Honda Accord.

To make a long story short... Coming off of the SB I-405 to SB SR-167 cloverleaf he merged quickly into the fast lane to pass a slow merging truck. He didn't see the truck that was coming up fast until he was already merged so he slammed his foot to the floor to get up and go (as you might do in a 130hp Honda Accord). The turbo boost kicked in and the tires broke loose on the wet pavement. He overcorrected for the skid and went nose first into the center divider. The airbags did not deploy and the engine remained running but the radiator was cracked from the impact.

Thankfully, neither of my brothers were injured and no other vehicles were involved. Thankfully, my younger brother was along for the ride because he was able to get the car to the shoulder and knew exactly what else needed to be done to protect what is left of my car. My older brother (driving) was pretty shaken up. The car is now at Bellevue Auto Rebuild and may be there for a month. I haven't seen it yet and I think I will just wait until the repairs are done so I can pretend it never happened.

Initial estimates are in the $10,000 range. And I am three months shy of my insurance dropping substantially for having a clean record up through turning 25. My brother originally wanted to pay out of pocket for repairs, but now wants me to claim it on my insurance with an offer to pay any increased premium. I am not sure I want to do that. He is insured through his work because he only drives a company car.

I'm not surewhat I'll do yet.

Merry frickin' Christmas. They better at least buy me a kick a** Christmas gift this year.

[>(]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:18:28 PM EDT
The reason to own a Subaru WRX is to be able to drive quickly and to be able to conquer and occasional winter storm.

All that being said, sorry for your luck, glad to hear your brothers are OK, but they would be "dead" if it were my WRX.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:25:14 PM EDT
Go look at the car.  Then you know EXACTLY what was done to it.  And you can complain if ANYTHING is "fixed" to less that perfect.

Hope your christmas gets better as it goes along.

BTW, kick bigger brother's ass for wrecking it, and then kick little brother's ass for letting big brother drive it.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:23:13 PM EDT
Sorry to hear about your car.  Glad your brother’s are okay.  

$10k to fix maybe…what does insurance say.  You might want to total it and get another one????  

At least I will not have to worry about dinging the doors when you are Wade’s now.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:39:36 PM EDT
1) I'm glad no one was hurt
2) Initial estimates are in the $10,000 range and the impact didn;t set off the airbag?  Christ allmighty thats a pricy car to repair!

3)Refer to #1 because now it's time to kick your brothers a##.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:23:19 PM EDT
DUDE!! That sucks!  I guess you shouldn't leave a high performance car in anybody else's hands.

$10,000 for repairs does sound outrageous.  And, as for claiming it on your insurance and having your brother cover the increased premiums?  Bad idea.  How do you determine when that increase finally goes away?  His work insurance should cover him as the driver of another vehicle.  Something to check on.

I think the way most insurance (scams) work these days is they increase your premium by the amount of the claim, broken out over like 3 years.  So in other words, its a total rip off to have insurance!!  I never understand why we pay premiums for years without any claims, then when we do have a claim, the rates go up!  
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:20:00 AM EDT

Thank God your brothers are O.K. and alive to take their beating from you!

Merry Christmas folks...

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:17:04 AM EDT
I had a lovely 2003 WRX wagon in red, I swerved to avoid a body-like objecy in the road and a fuckhead in a Expedition.  I got loose and slid into the center divider at 40-45 mph.  The car does not correct like either a front or rear wheel drive car.  You need to use power not brakes to get it back straight and in my case, there was not room to do what needed to be done.

Damage was limited to in front of the strut towers but they totalled the car anyway.  I was heart broken to say the least.  No airbags no bruises no injuries of any kind, my Big Gulp stayed in the holder and did not spill a drop.

While it was a miserable experience, I was completely uninjured, other than my pride.  I replaced my car with a Forester XT, you get more torque than a WRX, passing power, lots of low end grunt, great handling in the snow and a little more room.  I am a  devote Subaru owner now.  

But, damn do I miss my WRX. It was the sweetest sounding/running car.  I do not loan my car to anybody,,,,,,,EVER.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 1:03:07 PM EDT
Yeah, I am a devout Subaru fan too. I had a 2000 Silver 2.5RS before i bought my WRX STi on an impulse. I love that car.

I am surprised at the damage too. All in font of the strut tower in the front. Subaru builds a solid car. That STi is tough as nails. Crumpled in just the right spot to protect the passenger cabin.

And yes, they do not handle like and FWD or RWD car. The answer to correcting a skid is steer and SLAM ON THE GAS! (or at least feather the gas). My brother got on the brake which only made things worse in terms of the skid although it slowed him down enough to limit hte damage to the car.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 1:23:17 PM EDT
Make him claim it on his insurance. Not yours. DON'T DO THAT.

Sucks man. I love that car. Will definetly be getting an STi. Do you still have the stock tires on that thing? Cause they're basically race slicks. In the wet those tires are deadly. If not, you should have taken the STi with you.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:41:07 PM EDT
Wow I'm sorry. I loved my old subaru when I had it. When I get older I'll certainly have to try and pick up a used WRX or STi
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:02:49 AM EDT
Wow, all my damage was infront of the towers also, it took a hit into the timing belt cover that damaged the engine.  They were worried about replacing the $5800 dollar WRX motor so they totalled it.

The keyless entry and all the electrics worked fine. It still smelled new.  Post a pic if you can.

I'd make your brother use his insurance and not get this on your dime.  I know he is your brother, but 4 tickets in a day and a half is a sure sign of some sort of mental problem.  Thats screwed up, he should be a man and do the right thing.
Top Top