Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2003 9:47:04 PM EDT
We're going to spend a week in October (humtimg season?) riding the trails in Bayfield and Ashland counties. Does anyone know what kind of firearm can be carried on my ATV without attracting Warden trouble?

I can get a ATV scabbard and I have a AR-15, a Ruger PC-9 carbine or a Ruger 10/22. Sidearm is a S&W 3913 9mm.

Way back "in-the-woods" can a pistol be carried under a parka concealed?  Non-concealed on my belt holster? Can it be loaded?

If small game season is open (Oct 6-12th) I would think I'd need a small game license and could carry a cased, unloaded .22 or shotgun on the ATV. No center-fire deer rifles (??) (.223 or 9mm carbine).

I wouldn't be comfortable with my wife riding behind me (ATV is two-seater), way back in the middle of nowhere alone, without some kind of defense. Am I getting paranoid?  Living in anti-gun WI all my 65 years has made me super-sensitive I guess.

If anyone in this State that reads this can give me some recommendations I sure would appreciate it. I want to do it legal. I heard a DNR Warden say once that anyone in the woods is breaking some kind of law. ...yikes!

I think I'll phone the County Sheriff up there and ask him.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 5:33:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a copy of the 2003 DNR hunting regulations booklet. (at any place that sells licenses)

Any fire must be unloaded and in a case when in/on a motorized vehicle.

CCW has not been passed yet....I don't know about having a sidearm in a holster...I would assume it needs to be cased and unloaded as well.

Watch for "T" zone deer hunts. Special regulations on caliber and  clothing.

Best bet is to talk to a deputy/sherrif in the county you will be in.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#2]
it's not as anti up here as it is down south.  the problem you'll have is hunting related more than ccw IMHO,  read the regulations or better yet call and find out.  

small game season opens on 9/13.  the t zones are usually in oct and nov/dec i think.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#3]
what date are you going? there is a T-zone hunt in late october in ashland co. that you may not want to around during...then again if you wear blaze orange it shouldn't be a problem.

unloaded and encased you shouldn't have a problem with any of those guns--as long as you aren't on your vehicle you shouldn't have any problems walking around with them loaded and ready. In fact, my brother was walking down a dirt road with his loaded AR last year and the game warden just drove on by him.(this was during the gun-deer season)

If I were you I would buy a small game license though ($14?) that way if any warden decides to be an ass, you can always say your _____ hunting. (insert any furbearing varmint in the blank--possum, porcupine, racoon, squirrel, fox--just don't say coyote or wolf and you'll be fine)
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Going Oct. 6-11th, Black River falls, Jackson county. Trail #23 in the WIS.ATV Trails book. That trail area closes on Oct. 15th. Small game is open, and probably archery deer. Think I'll forget about the rifle scabbard and .22 even though it's legal.  I'll just put an unloaded, cased 9mm S&W in the rack baggage.

There shouldn't be any requirement for blaze orange jackets would there? Orange/yellow HELMETS will probably be next in WI. (joke. But I wouldn't be at all surprised).

Is trail riding restricted in WI during upland and deer seasons when you're NOT hunting?? I am in communication with the state administrator of ATV trails but I hate to keep bothering him with e-mails.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:57:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There shouldn't be any requirement for blaze orange jackets would there?
Blaze orange is not required, although it would be a good idea to wear some if you were going during the T-zone or gun-deer seasons, however, since you aren't there is no need to worry about it.

Is trail riding restricted in WI during upland and deer seasons when you're NOT hunting?? no

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#6]
what's wrong with saying he's coyote hunting?  you can legally kill a coyote year round (except during deer season)with no bag limits in WI.  fox on the other hand doesn't open until Oct 18th.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Even DURING hunting season you can't leave posted ATV "trails" and any weapons must be securely cased and unloaded and not reachable from the rider's seat.

And, when a Warden approaches, knowing Wisconsin, you probably must be lying face down on the ground with both hands behind you. Blindfolded.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#8]
P.S.

According to the DNR, a holstered pistol is 'encased' if it is completely enclosed by the holster (Some old military 1911 holsters (flap-style) did this...).
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#9]
....told ya about Wisconsin.  The only full coverage holster I can recall was be a WWII German Luger and it's military issue holster. Probably have to wear a Nazi helmet too.

Even on the original 1911 Colt holster there's a full flap that protects the pistol from the weather but has the butt sticking out. Illegal?

And any holstered sidearm couldn't be under your parka because that would be concealed. Bad! Ever try to wear a belt and holster OUTSIDE a large Winter parka.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
what's wrong with saying he's coyote hunting?  you can legally kill a coyote year round (except during deer season)with no bag limits in WI.  fox on the other hand doesn't open until Oct 18th.

Sorry, I should have explained further--you can't hunt coyotes during the gun-deer season in northern counties that have wolf populations. The DNR feels as though people would shoot wolves and claim they thought they were coyotes...which could happen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top