Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2021 12:50:53 PM EDT
Anyone got information or tips on hunting pigs in WI? I can find a lot of information about them being in WI, but not much else it seems. I'm not a resident, but a friend from college lives in WI and a few of us want to put together a DIY pig hunt sometime this summer.

Maybe they are a little few and far between, but a weekend in WI is sure a lot closer and easier to manage than heading down south.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i’ve got nothing, and all the areas that I hunt there have been no sightings of pigs.
But I have heard there is some but I would have no clue where
View Quote

I've come across a few posts here and there mentioning where they are, but almost everything I find is from 2015 or so.

Maybe I should plan a coyote hunt and pray we come across a pig.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#3]
They aren’t prevalent enough here to plan out a hunt honestly.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They aren’t prevalent enough here to plan out a hunt honestly.
View Quote

This, thankfully.  Once and a while someone mentions seeing one, but they seem to have been more or less contained thus far.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This, thankfully.  Once and a while someone mentions seeing one, but they seem to have been more or less contained thus far.
View Quote

Sounds like IA's pig situation. DNR basically says shoot the ones you find and report them but they're not worth looking for.

Of course, IA's definition of feral/wild pig is very loose. Basically any pig that's not marked as owned, in a place where you're allowed to shoot, is a wild pig.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#6]
There aren’t enough to hunt.

Back when the DNR thought pigs were going to destroy WI, they published a list of farmers who had reported pigs and pig damage.  The list was so you could contact them and ask permission to hunt.

I contacted three of the 5 and they all wanted $150 to hunt the evil pig.

I laughed, told them I hoped the pigs destroyed their entire property, and stopped trying to hunt pigs in WI.

Pigs are a scam, in every state that you can hunt them.

They are there, but if they were such a problem, access would be easier and there would be a bounty.

If pigs were so terrible, and cost so much, put a $200 bounty on them.

People would make pig eradication their job and it would work.

Now it is just a way for landowners and states to make money.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There aren’t enough to hunt.

Back when the DNR thought pigs were going to destroy WI, they published a list of farmers who had reported pigs and pig damage.  The list was so you could contact them and ask permission to hunt.

I contacted three of the 5 and they all wanted $150 to hunt the evil pig.

I laughed, told them I hoped the pigs destroyed their entire property, and stopped trying to hunt pigs in WI.

Pigs are a scam, in every state that you can hunt them.

They are there, but if they were such a problem, access would be easier and there would be a bounty.

If pigs were so terrible, and cost so much, put a $200 bounty on them.

People would make pig eradication their job and it would work.

Now it is just a way for landowners and states to make money.
View Quote

As someone who was a property owner in SW Ga up until a few years ago, I will respectfully disagree with you. Most of the places where it is really bad, the farmers will just let you do it. We would just drive around at night and shoot any we saw. Most of the farmers were very grateful we were doing it. That being said, these were folks that had known our group for years/decades. They trusted us. I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't let some random yahoos go shooting up their property at night. That being said, driving around the counties, You'd see one group of hogs completely destroy acres of corn/other food in less than a week's time. For those who actually farm, if your area has a real hog problem then you are proper fucked. As for a bounty working, well maybe. There are counties that have bounty programs set up, but due to the breeding frequency(One female can become 200 pigs in about two years) and how quickly hogs are able to have their first heat, it's basically impossible to control the population once they get a foothold. Not to mention the cost for a lot of these poor rural counties would not be able to support paying $200 per hog as that would cost them hundreds of thousands without even making a dent in the population. Texas has an estimated 2 million wild hogs right now. They could have hunters out 24/7 and they still would never be able to control the population. I remember reading a study that found that you would need to kill 75% of mature hogs every year just to keep the numbers stable. Not shrinking mind you, but stable.

Farmers up here view hogs as similar to deer or other wildlife. They think it's something they can charge non-locals for to make some extra money and it won't affect their farming. As of now, we don't have the numbers here to really see a lot of damage, so that mentality doesn't surprise me. I pray to god they don't take hold up here, cuz they will straight ruin a lot of small farms.

Edit: I should add that there are a lot of property owners out there who have turned hog hunting into a business and make good money on it, but to say that it's scam everywhere that it's legal is just not correct.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#8]
We do have a ton of wolves. Maybe if you eliminate a few of those the deer and other critters may have a chance. What's the big thrill of shooting a pig?? Go after something that will fight back and actually do a little good while your in our state.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We do have a ton of wolves. Maybe if you eliminate a few of those the deer and other critters may have a chance. What's the big thrill of shooting a pig?? Go after something that will fight back and actually do a little good while your in our state.
View Quote

Wolf season seems to be very limited, and hog season is year round.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Aren't they both year round?
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Aren't they both year round?
View Quote

S.S.S.

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wolf season seems to be very limited, and hog season is year round.
View Quote

This. I'm not going to be able to go wolf hunting just whenever. And I've eaten pigs and would like to fill my freezer. I have yet to try wolf.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Tastes like chicken.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah...  Hogs in WI isn't really a big thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top