Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/3/2010 3:43:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2010 3:49:10 PM EDT by Slugball]
I want to bring my G17 to a friend's cabin in northern CA. Can I bring any 17rd mags? I'm guessing no... Can it be loaded in a vehicle? Do mags have to be separate and/or unloaded? Does it have to be locked? Are there certain areas of the car where it can't be? Should I even bother? Are there any state restrictions on HP ammo?


Just found this:

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not within any of the classes excepted from firearm possession and who resides or is temporarily in California from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person if the firearm is unloaded and in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

I take this to mean a simple cable lock is not enough and that it must be in a box. What if the car is a wagon and the 'trunk' can be accessed from the cabin? What happens if you're caught? Do you just get a fine?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:31:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2010 4:34:33 PM EDT by KG6TZM]

Carry your ID and make sure it has the 18 USC 926B reference.

If you are not Law Enforcement, keep it in a locked hard sided container and unloaded. Just borrow some sissy (10rd) mags because when loading 10 rounds you will not kill people (according to the democrats). Only pull it out if you are going to shoot. Only carry it loaded if a justifiable threat exists (and you call 911). Leave threaded barrels at home.

No you do not just get a fine, it is California. You get free room and board, a secured parking spot, armed escorts, armed guards at your new home, and a cop to drive you around. Actually it depends on who notices you have a gun "improperly" stored. Being from out of state you would most likely get schooled in how to transport guns in this state.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:07:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 4:09:26 AM EDT by ireload]
You can bring your G17.

Only 10 round mags are allowed.

Hard gun case that's lockable or a lock can be attached.

HP ammo are ok. Armor piecing or tracers are no-no.

Mag can be loaded but not in the mag well and stored seperate from the gun while in the vehicle.

Do not store your G17 underneath the vehicle's seat, door's side pocket or glove compartment. Store in trunk or if you have a single cab truck like mine store behind the seat. If you have a wagon or a SUV then the very back area can be considered a trunk area.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:16:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:33:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 8:54:39 AM EDT by CWDraco]

Leave threaded barrels at home
Very good point for a G17. no threaded handgun barrels in CA, this is an assult weapon.

Thank you Paul to the proper link...of course he can't be a rude prick like me and tell people to shut up if you don't know the law.

In CA a handgun can not be concealed from view without a permit (CCW). This includes walking to your car or transporting it in your car. When NOT in an authorized place to shoot or in a justifiable shooting situation, the handgun can not be loaded either.

Here are the exceptions to those rules (for normal folk..LEO get special treatment).
1) A handgun in a locked case is not concealed. So when you are in your car if your handgun is in a case without a lock, its a concealed firearm and you can be busted for carrying a concealed weapon. If the case is locked, its not. The trunk is a locked case. The firearm can be bouncing around in the trunk..its ok. The ammo can be next to it..its ok. The ammo can be in the magazine inside the LOCKED case and its ok. The firearm CAN NOT be loaded at all. The glove box and utility console (center arm rest) are NOT locked cases, (even if they lock).
2) You may ONLY load a handgun when you plan on legally shooting it. So if you are walking to your car and see a big pitbull running at you, you can load the gun. If the dog stops and turns away, you have to unload it again. This was a actual case where a Sheriff watched a guy do this and arrested him for it. All charges were dropped. If not for the dog, the charges would have stuck.
3) A handgun can be carried in Plainview (unloaded) on the hip at all times. Certain places restrict where you can carry it, but ts legal as long as its unloaded. When you are driving that is still true. It is only when you CONCEAL from view that a locked case is needed.

Do not load until ready to use
Concealed from view = CCW
Locked case = Not concealed
unlocked case = concealed weapon.

Ammo can not be attached to or loaded into a firearm during transport (walking or driving). Sitting next to it or even in the same case is legal.

Magazines over 10rds are restricted for sale, Transportation into CA or manufacture in CA to Military / LEO and Armored Car guards and Authorized FFLs. If you were in CA before 1/1/2000 and bought a magazine with a capacity of 11 or more,its legal for you to bring that same magazine back into CA. Owning and using them is LEGAL. I don't know if you ever lived here before, but if any magazine you own was bought here before 1/1/2000 you can come back in with it. You do not need a receipt or proof. The DA must prove you DIDN'T buy it here before 1/1/2000, or rebuild a legally bought magazine. They can not do that without you admitting to it. All magazine parts are legal. So a disassembled magazine is legal. If you are stopped at the boarder with a magazine of 11 or greater expect it to be taken away no matter what. Expect the DA to interview you. Expect all statements made to LEO to be used against you. All legally owned 11 or greater capacity magazine will be seized at the border without question. They will only be returned when that County's DA determines they can not move forward with a charge.

All 11 or greater capacity magazines encountered inside CA are subject to LEO review. The LEO is allowed to ask questions. The answers to those questions will determine his course of action. High capacity magazines are NOT illegal in CA. The selling, offering for sale, manufacturing and transporting into CA are restricted only.

Some areas of CA have ammo restrictions. Depends where you are. For the most part HPs are fine...its only lead free zones where it gets tricky.

And FYI Gun free school zones require all firearms to be in a locked case. CA says handguns, federal law says all guns. Its a 1000ft rule and property zones where a door-to-door salesman or Postal Carrier are concidered in bounds. So up to a front door is within the 1000ft zone. I keep all firearms unloaded and locked in a case when in unfamiliar areas for this reason.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:36:29 PM EDT
Bring any handgun you want, except for threaded barrels. Just don't hang a sign on your car that says "Guns inside". Keeping a low profile is always the best advice.

If you're a hot chick, clothing is not alowed in California.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:39:39 AM EDT
Bring some of those delicious apples.... And if your a female, bring your apples too.
Top Top