Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2010 4:28:46 PM EDT
Not sure if I can post this here. If not, I'm sure I don't have to say its OK to take it down.

Im in the market for an AK. My budget is tight, so I'm looking at something like a WASR10, such as the ones AIM has right now for sale. My backup plan is to just order one of those, since its a decent price from a reputable seller, but I figure I'll ask around locally first. If I can find the same thing for about the price of the rifle and transfer anyway, I'd just as soon buy it locally.

Planned on going up towards Dawsonville later this week, heard there was a store up there that occasionally carries things of this nature,  anywhere else I might look?

Again, not a "WTB," Im just trying to do some business locally if I can. Can PM or whatever if that would be better.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I might have a Sar-1 that I'd be willing to part with, but I'm not sure how much to sell it for
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Both Cherokee Gun and 400 J&L have them for $399.

They are WASR10 Romanians.

RIch
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Both Cherokee Gun and 400 J&L have them for $399.

They are WASR10 Romanians.

RIch

OK, great! Thanks for the responses yall. I'll probably proceed as planned and head up to 400 tomorrow or thursday... roommate wants to see the place too, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I might have a Sar-1 that I'd be willing to part with, but I'm not sure how much to sell it for

You can't get rid of ol' trigger slappy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I've thought about picking up another WASR.  When I got mine I figured I'd have a tough time hitting a man sized target at 50yds based on the things I read on the almighty internet.  Maybe I got a defected one but it shoots pretty dang accurate with cheapo Wolf ammo.  I'm happy with mine.  I've only used the irons but they work fine on tin cans so far.  I haven't shot at anything over about 80 yds with it yet.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#6]
If I were to buy an AK right now, I'd SBR a Draco.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Would it be possible to add a side folding stock and Krinkov style flash hider to that Draco?

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one for a bit.  I really liked it.  Yeah, the trigger slaps a little but it performed like I would ask an AK to perform.  From the stories I have seen they either work perfectly out of the box and forever or suck out of the box and forever.  The one I briefly had seemed to be a happy one.  For $400 why not.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:28:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had one for about seven years now.  Runs fine, little or no trigger slap and accurate as I can be with irons.  

When you're handling one at the shop, try a few magazines in it.  The magwell cutout in mine was unusually rough and tight, I had to dremel it a bit.  This is opposite of many reports I've read of the magazine fitting extremely loosely.  Also examine the front sight block, I've seen some that were obviously canted to one side.  

-Adam
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:34:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Just sold a SAR-1 recently. I could help you price it.

And OP, you can get a SAR-1 at an alright price and have a better quality AK than a WASR
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:04:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Doing two Saiga Izhmash conversions at the moment. Got into them uber reasonable. Should end up with a Russian 7.62 and 308 for slightly more than two WASRs. Just more work for the conversion but Bulgarian parts are available at good prices. Never tried the WASR series - heard too much mixed reviews as mentioned above. Some guys have great luck with them. Hope you also get a good one.
Another to consider is a MAK-90. Very well built Chinese rifles.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:13:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You need to SBR that little dick of yours. I'm sure the ATF would like to know of God's inhumane violation.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:23:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to SBR that little dick of yours. I'm sure the ATF would like to know of God's inhumane violation.

And thats why I covered my screen in soda...
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:52:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Would it be possible to add a side folding stock and Krinkov style flash hider to that Draco?

Heck yes.  

Just look at this thread for what a Draco should be:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=98&t=129664&page=1
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had a MAK90 for years I bought before the Clinton Ban for $159 and it still outpreforms the more USA made ones I have acquired over time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, Im now a member of the AK club as of an hour or two ago. Ended up with a WASR10. it will be a bit before i can get to a range, but so far everything looks to be pretty decent.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well, Im now a member of the AK club as of an hour or two ago. Ended up with a WASR10. it will be a bit before i can get to a range, but so far everything looks to be pretty decent.

Hope it works out well for ya.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sig line material.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I have one.  I tried to sell it due to the cant of the front sight.  I attempted to located someone in my area that has corrected this issue (that I am told is common) to no avail.  I cannot drift the front sight far enough to compensate for the cant.  I was asking $350.00 for it.  I did not want to give it away.  So I have just put a rail on it (yesterday) and will have to purchase something to go on the rail.  I really did not want to put more $ into it.  I also have a Tapco side folder (dark earth color) that I removed.  

To get to the OP's question: When you purchase one (notice I said when), make sure that the front sight is not canted.  Side folders are neat but with it in the folded position you will have difficulty chambering a round.  If you look at one that has the front wood pistol grip, understand that 20 round mags work much better than 30 rounders.  They are fun, digest most anything, take a beating and keep working.  And if used as a trunk gun, if stolen, will not break the bank like your AR.

ETA: I did not read down before posting.  I see that you already have one.  Told you you would.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#20]
My WASR has served me well!
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have one.  I tried to sell it due to the cant of the front sight.  I attempted to located someone in my area that has corrected this issue (that I am told is common) to no avail.  I cannot drift the front sight far enough to compensate for the cant.  I was asking $350.00 for it.  I did not want to give it away.  So I have just put a rail on it (yesterday) and will have to purchase something to go on the rail.  I really did not want to put more $ into it.  I also have a Tapco side folder (dark earth color) that I removed.  

To get to the OP's question: When you purchase one (notice I said when), make sure that the front sight is not canted.  Side folders are neat but with it in the folded position you will have difficulty chambering a round.  If you look at one that has the front wood pistol grip, understand that 20 round mags work much better than 30 rounders.  They are fun, digest most anything, take a beating and keep working.  And if used as a trunk gun, if stolen, will not break the bank like your AR.

ETA: I did not read down before posting.  I see that you already have one.  Told you you would.  

Yep! Checked a few mags in the well, though not before somehow managing to get a polymer mag wedged up real good in another one within about 30 seconds of holding it... ... have decided steel is the only thing for me when it comes to the AK. Checked some mags, front sight looked OK, and now I have an AK... bad part is, though, im unable to get to a range any time soon that i know of, so now it sits and I just play with it all day.

soon, though...
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:39:15 AM EDT
[#22]
If you are not use to the way the AK mag rocks in, you are spending your time well by "playing" with it.  Being an AR user for, well my whole adult life, I had to spend some quality time on the different platform to help it become second nature.  Some people adapt quickly to a different platform.  The reason that you need to be "automatic" with the funtion of the weapon is to keep you or someone else alive.  I am sure that we all know that.  Enjoy your new purchase.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 8:37:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you are not use to the way the AK mag rocks in, you are spending your time well by "playing" with it.  Being an AR user for, well my whole adult life, I had to spend some quality time on the different platform to help it become second nature.  Some people adapt quickly to a different platform.  The reason that you need to be "automatic" with the funtion of the weapon is to keep you or someone else alive.  I am sure that we all know that.  Enjoy your new purchase.  

thats the idea, im much more used to inserting the mag straight up into the well, so its taking some getting used to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top