Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2014 1:58:09 PM EDT
I've been out of the loop politically this year.  Trying to catch up and do some research tonight before voting tomorrow.

Who do you all like?

Governor:

Foley vs. McKinney - Is it the consensus (among us gun owners) that McKinney is not our guy?

Lieutenant Governor:

Penny Bacchiochi (NRA "A" rating, voted against SB 1160) vs. Heather Bond Somers vs. David Walker - I don't know squat about any of them, except the aforementioned bits I saw in an email.

Comptroller:

Sharon McLaughlin vs. Angel Cedena (Marine, IRQ and AFG veteran, member of several gun-rights organizations) - Don't know about McLaughlin, but Cedena seems to have some good credentials, on the surface.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
For the next 48hrs, I'm a registered republican and only plan to vote against McKinney.  I don't care about the rest.

If i cared, i would vote against walker for hitching his boat to McKinney.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Foley
Bacchiocchi
Cedena

Seem like good choices
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Foley and Bacchiocchi

i dun no nuffin bout no comprtollers yo
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've been out of the loop politically this year.  Trying to catch up and do some research tonight before voting tomorrow.

Who do you all like?

Governor:
Foley vs. McKinney - Is it the consensus (among us gun owners) that McKinney is not our guy?

Lieutenant Governor:
Penny Bacchiochi (NRA "A" rating, voted against SB 1160) vs. Heather Bond Somers vs. David Walker - I don't know squat about any of them, except the aforementioned bits I saw in an email.

Comptroller:
Sharon McLaughlin vs. Angel Cedena (Marine, IRQ and AFG veteran, member of several gun-rights organizations) - Don't know about McLaughlin, but Cedena seems to have some good credentials, on the surface.
View Quote

For Governor see the ongoing McKinney thread.

As a gun owner you should vote for those who will advance not harm your gun rights. That disqualifies McKinney right off the bat since he had a part (and voted for) the unconstitutional SB1160/PA13-3 post Newtown.
Foley as squishy as he is for a Republican has repeatedly stated he supports 2A and won't enact new legislation (you know Malloy and McKinney both will).
For LT Gov Penny is probably the best. She gets high ratings from the NRA and voted against SB1160.
Somers aligned herself with MAIG Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton before that asshat dropped out.

What ever you do don't vote for Giata. We have several threads about that guy here.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Comptroller:
View Quote

A quick search of a few articles makes me wonder about Cedena - he has absolutely no financial background.  Also, according to the New Haven Register, his facebook page says he has held 50 (FIFTY) jobs in his 30+ years... That sets off all sorts of alarms for me.  (I don't have a facebook account, so cannot check that claim).

"Marine, IRQ and AFG veteran" neither qualifies nor disqualifies him for the position.

McLaughlin appears to have more appropriate qualifications for a comptroller.

I dunno....

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A quick search of a few articles makes me wonder about Cedena - he has absolutely no financial background.  Also, according to the New Haven Register, his facebook page says he has held 50 (FIFTY) jobs in his 30+ years... That sets off all sorts of alarms for me.  (I don't have a facebook account, so cannot check that claim).

"Marine, IRQ and AFG veteran" neither qualifies nor disqualifies him for the position.

I dunno....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Comptroller:

I dunno....

I don't know that it matters much in the roll of a comptroller but Cadena may be much more 2A friendly than McLaughlin.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm voting Foley and Somers.Penny Bacchiochi is in my district I always voted for her she is awesome fighting for our gun and hunting rights but when she started pulling this black card shit that she is married to a African American and everyone is talking about her behind her back. I lost all respect for her.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Foley

Still up in the air on Lt. Gov.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm voting Foley and Somers.Penny Bacchiochi is in my district I always voted for her she is awesome fighting for our gun and hunting rights but when she started pulling this black card shit that she is married to a African American and everyone is talking about her behind her back. I lost all respect for her.
View Quote

Be smart, do some research

I'm in it to win it.
I didn't get involved to dither on which candidates might win, I got involved to help put candidates in position to win.
The day before primary and you guys still haven't made choices?  It's no wonder the Progressive Liberals walk all over you.

Who I'm voting for:
Foley
Bacchiochi
McLaughlin

Who will win:
Foley
Bacchiochi
McLaughlin

I'll be in Enfield celebrating with the Republican Lt Gov candidate Tuesday night.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:38:46 AM EDT
[#10]
McLaughlin could use a proofreader on her web site:

"Sharon is part of a team of Republican leaders who support a broad policy of spending less, taxing less and reigning in the costs that are driving people out of our state or that make them want to leave."

Reigning? Uh, no.

Not going to affect my vote either way, but it sure looks sloppy...

ETA: Cedena's web site and writing are overly dense and nearly incomprehensible.

He could use a proofreader too:

"There are numerous aspects and complexities associated with the implementation of this plan of which I will only share enough information as to peak your interest and maybe start a debate."

Peak your interest? Uh, no.

You do get a feel for the candidates and their capabilities just by looking at what they put out on public display.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:37:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm in it to win it.
I didn't get involved to dither on which candidates might win, I got involved to help put candidates in position to win.
The day before primary and you guys still haven't made choices?  It's no wonder the Progressive Liberals walk all over you.

Who I'm voting for:
Foley
Bacchiochi
McLaughlin

Not looking to get into any political pissing match We are all on the same side.Bottom line we all want Foley I am smart and did my research I'm afraid that if Penny is paired with Foley it is going to bring him down because of this Mud slinging on her side.  
Who will win:
Foley
Bacchiochi
McLaughlin

I'll be in Enfield celebrating with the Republican Lt Gov candidate Tuesday night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm voting Foley and Somers.Penny Bacchiochi is in my district I always voted for her she is awesome fighting for our gun and hunting rights but when shethis started pulling this black card shit that she is married to a African American and everyone is talking about her behind her back. I lost all respect for her.

I'm in it to win it.

Who I'm voting for:
Foley
Bacchiochi
McLaughlin

Not looking to get into any political pissing match We are all on the same side.Bottom line we all want Foley I am smart and did my research I'm afraid that if Penny is paired with Foley it is going to bring him down because of this Mud slinging on her side.  
Who will win:
Foley
Bacchiochi
McLaughlin

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:38:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Not looking to get into any political pissing match We are all on the same side.Bottom line we all want Foley I am smart and did my research I'm afraid that if Penny is paired with Foley it is going to bring him down
Quoted:

I'm in it to win it.

Who I'm voting for:
Foley
Bacchiochi
McLaughlin

because of this Mud slinging on her side.  
Who will win:
Foley
Bacchiochi
McLaughlin

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm voting Foley and Somers.Penny Bacchiochi is in my district I always voted for her she is awesome fighting for our gun and hunting rights but when shethis started pulling this black card shit that she is married to a African American and everyone is talking about her behind her back. I lost all respect for her.

I'm in it to win it.

Who I'm voting for:
Foley
Bacchiochi
McLaughlin

because of this Mud slinging on her side.  
Who will win:
Foley
Bacchiochi
McLaughlin

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:16:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I just stumbled upon this site:

http://votesmart.org/candidate/30603/penny-bacchiochi?categoryId=&type=V,S,R,E,F,P,E,E&p=1#.U-n3MONdWSo

http://votesmart.org/candidate/17194/john-mckinney#.U-n33uNdWSo

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:57:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
McLaughlin could use a proofreader on her web site:

"Sharon is part of a team of Republican leaders who support a broad policy of spending less, taxing less and reigning in the costs that are driving people out of our state or that make them want to leave."

Reigning? Uh, no.

Not going to affect my vote either way, but it sure looks sloppy...

ETA: Cedena's web site and writing are overly dense and nearly incomprehensible.

He could use a proofreader too:

"There are numerous aspects and complexities associated with the implementation of this plan of which I will only share enough information as to peak your interest and maybe start a debate."

Peak your interest? Uh, no.

You do get a feel for the candidates and their capabilities just by looking at what they put out on public display.

View Quote

The lack of proofreading is what opened up the gates to all pre-bans back in 2013
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:59:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm in it to win it.

Who I'm voting for:
Foley
Bacchiochi
McLaughlin

Who will win:
Foley
Bacchiochi
McLaughlin

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in it to win it.

Who I'm voting for:
Foley
Bacchiochi
McLaughlin

Who will win:
Foley
Bacchiochi
McLaughlin

Research over the past several days here is probably what has most of us reconsidering.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Well don't I feel like a real roob.  I wasn't aware that your have to be a dem or republican to vote in a primary.

That's total b@llshit in my honest opinion.  So, somebody that wasn't going to vote get up off your izz and cast a ballot for us.

Really pissed off

I told the woman that I was confused when I saw only two lines.  I mentioned that I was unaffiliated.  She said that you have to join a party to vote.  I said with a smile, "oh no I can't do that".

She then stated "then you can vote any way you want"

So, what's the flocking point then?!  I will vote any way that I want now!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:36:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well don't I feel like a real roob.  I wasn't aware that your have to be a dem or republican to vote in a primary.

That's total b@llshit in my honest opinion.  So, somebody that wasn't going to vote get up off your izz and cast a ballot for us.

Really pissed off

I told the woman that I was confused when I saw only two lines.  I mentioned that I was unaffiliated.  She said that you have to join a party to vote.  I said with a smile, "oh no I can't do that".

View Quote

Uh she was wrong

What town?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:36:53 AM EDT
[#18]
What time do the polls close today?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:37:38 AM EDT
[#19]
8pm
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:47:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:47:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Uh she was wrong

What town?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really pissed off

Uh she was wrong

What town?

IM inbound .......So what recourse do I have here?  Call the registrars office, selectman?

When you show your ID can they cross reference it with your party?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:07:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

IM inbound .......So what recourse do I have here?  Call the registrars office, selectman?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really pissed off

Uh she was wrong

What town?

Voter registration rolls include your party affiliation, if any.

Connecticut uses a closed primary system- meaning that only members of a specific party can vote in that party's primary- which makes sense considering that the primary is a party function which is governed not only by relevant election laws but also party rules.

If you are not affiliated, you have no primary election voting rights in CT. If you are registered Republican, you only have the right to vote in the Republican primary- albeit for whichever candidate seeking the Republican nomination that you desire. If you are registered Democrat, you only have the right to vote in the Democratic primary- albeit for whichever candidate seeking the Democratic nomination that you desire.

Unless you believe that you are a member of a party, which your previous posts read to suggest is not the case, you have no right to participate in any of the primary elections that are occurring in CT today.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:09:07 AM EDT
[#23]

That.... looks.... familiar....

I got to be the first one (and probably only one ) to cast a vote today in my voting precinct in New Haven.... at 9:25am.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:20:34 AM EDT
[#24]
So, in the primary if you are registered republican you can only weigh in on the republican choices correct?  You can not pick the lesser of two evil candidates on the Dem side.

In the main election you can vote for whomever regardless of party affiliation, no?

Or, if you are a registered Dem you can not vote for the a republican candidate if you prefer them over your own party's candidate?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well don't I feel like a real roob. I wasn't aware that your have to be a dem or republican to vote in a primary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Well don't I feel like a real roob. I wasn't aware that your have to be a dem or republican to vote in a primary.

<Insert double facepalm pic here>
Quoted:That's total b@llshit in my honest opinion.  So, somebody that wasn't going to vote get up off your izz and cast a ballot for us.

There is a very valid reason why the primary voting is confined to one's political party. Its to avoid the shenanigans of having your parties opponents stuff the ballot box for a candidate that their parties candidate can easily beat.

Look at it this way. If there wasn't a three month lock prior to the primary for registered party voters you'd have hordes of registered Democrats voting in the Republican primary so they could vote for McKinney. Is that what you want? At least this way it forces people to switch parties 90 days before the election to try and prevent some of the shenanigans that can happen with wide open primary voting (like what happened in MS earlier this year in a Republican Primary).

Post edited/updated

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:24:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So, in the primary if you are registered republican you can only weigh in on the republican choices correct?  You can not pick the lesser of two evil candidates on the Dem side.

In the main election you can vote for whomever regardless of party affiliation, no?

Or, if you are a registered Dem you can not vote for the a republican candidate if you prefer them over your own party's candidate?
View Quote

Primary voting is confined to your party. You pick ONLY your parties candidate. Didn't register for a political party? Well you learned a leson for next time.
In the General election (in November) you can vote for ANYONE on the ballot or write in your own candidate.

I gotta ask. Is this your first time voting?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:23:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Really pissed off

View Quote
It prevents Democrats from showing up at the polls and stuffing the ballot box with votes for a Republican candidate that they believe their candidate will easily defeat.

It would be like Republicans voting in droves for Biden over Clinton in the Democrat primary if we felt that our candidate could more easily defeat Biden than Clinton.

Make sense?

I think it's unfortunate that politics is such a dirty business that people would engage in these tactics.  You choose your candidate, we'll choose our and let them compete for the win.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It prevents Democrats from showing up at the polls and stuffing the ballot box with votes for a Republican candidate that they believe their candidate will easily defeat.  

It would be like Republicans voting in droves for Biden over Clinton in the Democrat primary if we felt that our candidate could more easily defeat Biden than Clinton.

View Quote

That's exactly why.

And I cringe at the thought that hillary clinton has another shot at the white house.

I'd rather have barry at the helm, than that psychotic cunt. At least barry has no intent to be our leader. He came out of nowhere and is willingly allowing himself to be a puppet.

clinton, however... That sociopathic cunt craves power like no other person, in the history of this country.

Some seriously dark shit will take place if that fucking woman has any say in the fate of this country.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Who do you all like?

Governor:

Lieutenant Governor:

Comptroller:
View Quote

It just came out in the news that McKinney is in favor of taxing internet purchases on the grounds that "it will help local businesses".  How in the name of Ronald McDonald will that possibly help local businesses?  It will only help the state tax collector since people buy goods/services through the internet because it's a lot more convenient, so people are still going to do it but it's going to be more expensive now.  Local busiensses aren't going to see a nickel of that money.   A governor needs to figure out how to improve the cost of living for the residents, not make it worse.

McKinney really, really needs to stop pretending he's Republican.  If he feels he's representing the constituents in his district with the stunts he's pulling then he needs to stay in his district, rather than inflicting his ideas onto everyone else.

FYI Penny B all the way!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

A) the primary is essentially to ask registered Republicans who they want to be their candidate in the main election, so only registered Republicans can vote on it.  There can be any number of candidates on the Republican primary ballot but only one of them will be on the official Republican ticket in November.   If the Democrats had a primary, only registered Democrats can vote in it.

B) In the main election in November you can be a registered Republican OR Democrat OR Independent and vote for any candidate you want.  The key point is that you need to be registered to vote; if you're not registered then they will not accept your vote.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The key point is that you need to be registered to vote; if you're not registered then they will not accept your vote.
View Quote

Yep. However, CT now has election day registration so one can still vote on election day so long as they meet the requirements for election day registration.

Election Day Registration

You may register and vote in person on Election Day if you meet the eligibility requirements for voting in this state and you are not already registered, OR you are registered in one town and want to change your registration because you currently reside in another town.  By law, a person is eligible to register and vote if he or she is (1) a US citizen, (2) age 18 or older, (3) a bona fide resident of the town in which he or she applies for admission, and (4) have completed confinement and parole if previously convicted of a disfranchising felony.  

Election Day Registration is not available at your polling place. Contact your local registrars of voters office for information about your town’s designated Election Day Registration location and ID requirements. You will need to provide proof of identity and residency.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#33]
A few minutes ago I was the 9th voter at my polling place. I voted for Foley, Penny B., and Cedena.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#35]
so they say its split right down the middle. well they make it seem like that

here
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't think that guns have ever been such a big issue in CT. Most of the mailings that I received from candidates have emphasized their gun rights positions. I even received an ad from Heather Somers today with a picture of her permit on it (Based on the number, I don't believe that she has had it very long)
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Make sense?

I think it's unfortunate that politics is such a dirty business that people would engage in these tactics.  You choose your candidate, we'll choose our and let them compete for the win.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really pissed off

Make sense?

Pretty much the way BHO won a few states
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Foley, Bacchiocci, Cedena
Didnt check my number on the ballot....but I was the only one there
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#39]
22% turnout as of 7pm in Columbia.  800 registerd R's in town of roughly 3000 voting age residents

That's pretty high for a primary
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Other then reported by the news, I haven't heard of one person who voted to McKinney
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#41]
For any registered Republicans who are reading this thread but haven't voted,
GET OUT THERE AND VOTE NOW!!!

You have till 8pm to make your voice heard against gun grabbers like McKinney!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Didn't take long for the Advocate to write a hit piece on Foley:

http://blog.ctnews.com/politics/2014/08/12/abbondanza-foleys-primary-night-spread/#25834101=0

WATERBURY — Nothing helps boost Republican turnout like eggplant rollatini.

Tom Foley’s supporters will be treated to the best sauteed escarole and mortadella taxpayer money can buy tonight at Waterbury’s Pontelandolfo Community Club in the Brass City, where the favorite to win the GOP nomination for governor is holding his primary party.

Foley accepted $1.4 million in public funds from the Citizens’ Election Program for his reprise campaign for the state’s highest office.

Foley’s primary night spread menu includes sauteed broccoli rabe, farfalle primavera, fried calamari and “zuppa di mussels.”

Republicans will have to pay for their own Negronis, however.

In contrast to previous election night bashes paid for out of the candidates own pockets — see Linda McMahon — Foley is going with a cash bar.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

http://blog.ctnews.com/politics/2014/08/12/abbondanza-foleys-primary-night-spread/#25834101=0

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tom Foley’s supporters will be treated to the best sauteed escarole and mortadella taxpayer money can buy tonight at Waterbury’s Pontelandolfo Community Club in the Brass City, where the favorite to win the GOP nomination for governor is holding his primary party.

Foley accepted $1.4 million in public funds from the Citizens’ Election Program for his reprise campaign for the state’s highest office.

Foley’s primary night spread menu includes sauteed broccoli rabe, farfalle primavera, fried calamari and “zuppa di mussels.”

In contrast to previous election night bashes paid for out of the candidates own pockets — see Linda McMahon — Foley is going with a cash bar.

Damn that sounds tasty

Wonder if Rowlando was there mooching his dinner
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

OK, so how can they prove that Taxpayer's money was used in this event?  And having a cash bar just shows Foley's fiscal responsibility!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#45]
YEAHH BITCHH WE DID IT!!

Time to "Foley" Dannel .

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Fuck McKinney . Hope your dick breaks off while docking with malloy in the unemployment line
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I guess I go and vote in 3 months. I'm an independent voter so I couldn't vote today.

FDM, maybe we got a chance to beat him.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Docking page 2

Biker where ya been man?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 1:09:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Docking page 2

Biker where ya been man?
View Quote

Oh I've been busy with work and what not. Getting ready for a bear hunt in maine in a few weeks. Oh ya ,found out I'm gonna be a father .

Figured id show myself back in here when it counted the most.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top