Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 10:50:24 PM EDT
Hey all!

Quick question for y'all.  I'm going to be traveling to AZ for a last minute trip tomorrow, and will be there for a few days.  What is the current law on carring a loaded handgun in your car?  

My understanding is that as long as the gun is visibly holstered, it's in a case that is visible, or it is in the trunk/glovebox, it is legal for non-permit holders.  Can anyone please confirm this for me?  I want to be extra careful.  I'm from California, we have to be!  Thanks again.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:48:49 AM EDT
[#1]

My understanding is that as long as the gun is visibly holstered, it's in a case that is visible, or it is in the trunk/glovebox, it is legal for non-permit holders.
 Sounds pretty close to me. I have the Az. gun owners guide sitting in front of me that states and I ..State law says you may carry a firearm,loaded or unloaded,anywhere in the car(or means of transportation),in a case,holster,scabbard,pack or luggage,or if it is plainly visible. A gun may also be out of sight in a storage com.,trunk or glove box of vehicle,without violating the statute...Without a CCW permit it's illegal to have a unholstered gun otherwise conceled and within immediate control of any person in a car or other means of trans.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks a lot Zoomer!  I really appreciate it.  Anyone in the Phoenix area?  I'm hoping to get a shoot or two in, will be around until Friday night.  Cheers!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I am moving this week but I am more than willing to go shooting
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I was told that at least 2" of the holster must be visible for the gun to be considered unconcealed.  Further, fanny pack holsters are ALWAYS considered concealed.

In a car, it's best to have the gun holstered but not on your hip, as this could be considered to be concealed from observation.

...as told to me by my ccw instructor who is also a gun shop owner.  

Mike
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
...  I'm hoping to get a shoot or two in, will be around until Friday night.  Cheers!

... Too damned bad you can't extend your stay 24 hours, there's a hella-shoot planned for Saturday.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#6]
What part of Phoenix you visiting?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top