Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/24/2005 7:57:19 AM EDT
I'm going to visit your great state from Oregon next month to party with some friends (bikers). I know my CCW isn't any good there, but am wanting to pack a piece in my saddlebags for nights in the motels. I usually carry a Kel-Tec, but understand it may not be allowed. My other choices are my Norinco 1911A1, Taurus 85 or Ruger GP100. I am leaning toward the 1911, but not sure if that's allowed either. Can anyone shed some light on my choices or any other hassles I may have traveling through California?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:33:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 8:39:31 AM EDT by Mesa_Tactical]
The handgun certification only refers to the selling of new guns. You can bring anything you want into the state as long as it is not an "assault weapon." "Assault weapons" are defined here.

Otherwise, you are golden. Just be sure to transport the weapons unloaded and in a locked container. A pistol rug with a luggage lock is good enough.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:13:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mesa_Tactical:
The handgun certification only refers to the selling of new guns. You can bring anything you want into the state as long as it is not an "assault weapon." "Assault weapons" are defined here.

Otherwise, you are golden. Just be sure to transport the weapons unloaded and in a locked container. A pistol rug with a luggage lock is good enough.

Yup. Bring anything you want in the way of handguns.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:36:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mesa_Tactical:

In the definition of "unloaded," there should be zero ammo in a magazine. A loaded magazine with ammo and a gun together, even thought the magazine is NOT in the pistol is consider a loaded gun under Kali-fornia law. This was told to me by an instructor the pistol class that I took.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:03:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:04:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:15:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 11:16:53 AM EDT by Paul]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:09:46 PM EDT
When they wrote,

"...attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof attached to the firearm..."

I think they mean having the magazine inserted into the mag well even if a round is not chambered.. I guess a side saddle would also qualify, but I'll be that is not what they intended when the wrote the law. Rounds in the chamber(s) of a revolver would also constitute "loaded".

If the magazine is in the container but is not "attached", who could complain. I would define "attached" as follows: if you pick up the handgun and the magazine also comes with it, it is attached. If the magazine does not come with it, it is not "attached".
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:21:02 PM EDT
Hoppy,

Keep in mind that you can carry a loaded weapon for protection, even concealed, if you are at someone's home. That includes a campsite that you are using (it is your home albeit temporary), unless the rules of the park specifically prohibit it.

Have a good trip! If you should make it all the way to San Diego drop me an IM. I'll show you some food and beer and people.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:49:55 PM EDT
Thanks folks. I prefer my Kel-Tec (I'm spoiled by the size, weight and ease of carry) and have a nice, small, steel lockbox for it that packs easily. I'll just clear the weapon, leave the mag loaded and out of the pistol and lock both in the box which will be in the locked saddlebag while I'm on the road.
Top Top