Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2005 6:54:49 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

I'm going to be in the Mt. Pocono area in a few weeks to visit some relatives and I want to bring my pistol so I can carry while on my trip.   Texas and PA have reciprocity so I'm good there but I need a short version guide as to the places that I can and can not carry legally.

Can y'all give me some info on the places that are restricted to CCW in PA?

Also, on a more specific note, can I carry in PA state parks?

Thanks for any help.

CMOS  (born in Philly!)
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 12:36:51 AM EDT
[#1]
www.packing.org

Best place to go for the rules but, basically, no schools, government buildings, state parks, that should cover pretty much anything you need to worry about in the Mt. Pocono area.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:07:20 AM EDT
[#2]
No State Parks?   That stinks.

Thanks for the link.

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:07:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's the PA page for Packing.org   Packing.org

You are pretty much allowed to carry anywhere other than the places that RepublicanMan stated. You can also carry where alcohool is served.  Have a Good trip!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm about 15 minutes from Mt Pocono. Damn i hope you are bringing an armered truck to drive around in. Just a few heads up first of all it has alot of gangs Bloods, Crips etc etc now. Mt pocono turned into the bronx. My girlfriend is a high school teacher there and she is terrified of going to work everyday. Also A&A gun shop near the crossings was held up with what the police chief stated was an AK-47 and 30+ handguns were stolen. So be on your look out. I hope your trip is a good one and i hope you have a good time and nothing happens.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#5]
smk,

Wow.  My relative up there has not given any indication of that - however, as always, I will be packing my H&K.

Where are you located with respect to Mt. Pococo?

I'm going to be about 6 miles north of the 196 & 611 intersection on 196.

Hey - know any good fishing spots up there?  I used to fish quite a bit in Lake Tobyhanna but I hear it's nowhere near as good as it used to be.

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm fishing hehe im a conservation officer up here so i know all the good spots! Tobyhanna is pretty good do you remember Gouldsboro state park the lake in there was drawn down due to Damn problems (it gave way). I am actually in Gouldsboro off of 507. As far as how bad the area is, i know i don;t have to tell you this but i will just keep your eyes peeled and if any body says anything as hard as it is to not say anything back just get out of that situation quickly. Anyway watch your six and to let you know there was a fishing license increase. Also if you want go to PA fish and boat commission website and buy your license right off line and print it out. You don't need to buy one from a store anymore unless you want to. Anyway if your in the area im or e-mail me!
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#7]

This is a little bit of the story from the local news about the gunshop.

Federal investigators are offering a reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the people responsible for a robbery at a gun shop in Monroe County last week.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is offering the $10,000 reward. The robbery happened at A&A Sporting Goods near Tannersville. It happened Friday morning. The owner of the shop, Andrew Zafiropoulos, was beaten during the robbery.

Investigators said three men were involved in the robbery. Two went into the store and a third drove the get-away car. More than two dozens guns were stolen.

Anyone with information should call the ATF at 1-899-ATF-GUNS or the Pocono Township Police Department at 570-992-9911.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.packing.org

Best place to go for the rules but, basically, no schools, government buildings, state parks, that should cover pretty much anything you need to worry about in the Mt. Pocono area.

lets not forget courthouses.

Can you show me where the prohibition in the state law is about state parks?

Also, i'm assuming you mean federal government buildings (in some cases, for instance, you may carry in a post office).  If you also mean state, i'd like to see that section of the law as well.

The short answer is you won't find it.  I know there are restrictions that are placed on the state capitol building and the state parks, however, these restrictions are not by law, but rather regulations adopted by the capitol police and parks department.  They are legally questionable at best.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe the law for state parks and state forests are under the Game Law.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm about 15 minutes from Mt Pocono. Damn i hope you are bringing an armered truck to drive around in. Just a few heads up first of all it has alot of gangs Bloods, Crips etc etc now. Mt pocono turned into the bronx. My girlfriend is a high school teacher there and she is terrified of going to work everyday. Also A&A gun shop near the crossings was held up with what the police chief stated was an AK-47 and 30+ handguns were stolen. So be on your look out. I hope your trip is a good one and i hope you have a good time and nothing happens.

How could you forget the MEth LAbs  .    Eastern PA is the new bank robbery capital of the east coast.   The goblins have figured out that in Pa  there are no guys W/ Guns at the front door of the bank.   In the last 6 months I missed to robberies by 10 mins  in each direction
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.packing.org

lets not forget courthouses.

Can you show me where the prohibition in the state law is about state parks?

Also, i'm assuming you mean federal government buildings (in some cases, for instance, you may carry in a post office).  If you also mean state, i'd like to see that section of the law as well.

The short answer is you won't find it.  I know there are restrictions that are placed on the state capitol building and the state parks, however, these restrictions are not by law, but rather regulations adopted by the capitol police and parks department.  They are legally questionable at best.

It's in the 1995 Uniform Firearms Act of PA.  It's listed as a summary offense (I think that means it's less than a misdemeanor)
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#12]
The bank right across from my shop was arm robbed several weeks ago.  Un real the amount of crime and scum that have migrated out to the distant burbs.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:29:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It's in the 1995 Uniform Firearms Act of PA.  It's listed as a summary offense (I think that means it's less than a misdemeanor)

Subchapter A of Chapter 61 of title 18.  Not in there.

I believe the law for state parks and state forests are under the Game Law.

As for the game law (title 34}, I found nothing prohibiting carrying a firearm.

I know what you guys are talking about, the ominous warning at the state parks that reads:

Use extreme caution with firearms at all times. The park is used by other visitors during hunting seasons. Firearms and archery equipment may be uncased and ready for use only in authorized hunting areas during hunting seasons. In areas not open to hunting or during non-hunting seasons, firearms and archery equipment shall be kept in the owner's car, trailer or camp.

I just haven't found anything in the law to back that up.  If that is the case you can treat this as a request.  If i just haven't found the prohibition, it's probably a fine of under $100, no reason to go unprotected.  What are they going to try and prove?  That possession of a firearm during the off season represented evidence that you were hunting?  What about the contradicting evidence that your sidearm is obviously not meant for hunting, you have a concealed weapons permit and the stated reason for that permit is "self-protection"?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, I'm probably going to carry in the State Parks regardless.  Better safe than sorry.

I'd still feel better with some more clarification however.  Anyone else to add here?

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:08:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Well, I'm probably going to carry in the State Parks regardless.  Better safe than sorry.

I'd still feel better with some more clarification however.  Anyone else to add here?

CMOS

Just don't carry in courthouses and son't carr in primary or secondary schools unless you have the time or inclination to argue what "other lawful purpose" means before a judge.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#16]
The State Park issue is my only area of concern.  I'll be spending plenty of time avoiding anything resembling a "city" while I'm tthere.

I'm going to be doing some fishing so I'll probaby hit a couple of the area State Parks.

CMOS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top