Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2009 1:18:48 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'll be visiting PA for a couple days in October for a Blue Knights motorcycle club convention, in Langhorne PA at the Bucks County Sheraton.  I am a NYS peace officer and qualify with HR 218.  I also have a PA non-resident CCW.  I'm pretty sure I can CCW no problem, but I was curious about open carrying.  I know I cannot open carry based just on HR-218, but with my non-resident permit, am I OK to open carry?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You are covered under LEOSA here in PA, just like you are in all the other states.

Yes, you can open carry.

You do not need a license or provisions under LEOSA to open carry.

I'm interested as to how you obtained a non-resident LTCF, since PA will not issue you one unless you have one from your own state. I've never heard of them accepting out-of-state LEO credentials for the non-resident LTCF.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#2]
If you will be in Langhorne and want to open carry you are going to get looks.
Its not illegal technically, but its going to get noticed....in about two seconds flat.
My advice, unless you have a badge on your belt next to your holster you are going to wind up being questioned by the local PD.
If you have your LTC for PA just carry concealed....avoid the hassle, have your weapon, all will be fine

For what its worth, in speaking with some local LE over the years, the general opinion is that "concealed means concealed".
The PA LTC is for concealed carry....so infer what you will.

I've been in the Langhorne area for about ten years......I have never once seen anyone open carry here.....not even an off duty cop.

IWB with a shirt over it...thats my MO
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You are covered under LEOSA here in PA, just like you are in all the other states.

Yes, you can open carry.

I'm interested as to how you obtained a non-resident LTCF, since PA will not issue you one unless you have one from your own state. I've never heard of them accepting out-of-state LEO credentials for the non-resident LTCF.

Tag for the above question.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, you can open carry.

Tag for the above question.

I had an unrestricted NYS pistol permit before I got my badge.  I currently hold CCW's for NYS, New Hampshire, PA, and Florida.  Before I came to LE, I was trying to get as much coverage in the continental US as possible.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:56:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Its not illegal technically, but its going to get noticed....in about two seconds flat.
My advice, unless you have a badge on your belt next to your holster you are going to wind up being questioned by the local PD.
If you have your LTC for PA just carry concealed....avoid the hassle, have your weapon, all will be fine

For what its worth, in speaking with some local LE over the years, the general opinion is that "concealed means concealed".

I've been in the Langhorne area for about ten years......I have never once seen anyone open carry here.....not even an off duty cop.

Please stop spreading this bullshit, please.

I've OCed all over the state.  NEVER had an issue.  Same thing from many many others.  

To the OP - you do not need a license to OC in PA, unless you're in a vehicle or in Philadelphia.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:44:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've OCed all over the state.  NEVER had an issue.  Same thing from many many others.  

To the OP - you do not need a license to OC in PA, unless you're in a vehicle or in Philadelphia.

Would my non-res CCW cover me open carrying in a vehicle?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:48:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would think so.  But I am not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:17:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe you can think of it this way. OCing is when you're outside openly displaying your sidearm. When you enter a vehicle, consider it concealed, whether you have a shirt hanging over it or not. That's where your CCW (PA LTCF) comes into play.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pro2AinPA

I live here....and have for about 10 years.
I know what I see when I go out the door each day.
Not once....ever...have I seen someone out of uniform open carrying around here, its simply not common.
I open carry in many parts of our state too...and have in other states as well...always without issue.
Langhorne isnt rural PA though .....its Western New Jersey (More NJ and NY people in this area now than I wish....and they bring with them their city liberal concept of how things should be...they arent used to seeing guns unfortunately.)

Is it illegal....no.
Will it possibly attract attention......yeah, it might since its not the norm.
Have local police told me explicitly that they would stop and question someone who open carried.....yes, they have.
Even after I explained to them that there is no law against it their position was to explain it to the judge (sad, but true)

The hotel the OP mentioned is across the street from Sesame Place...walking around with an unconcealed weapon may attract attention.
Before you call it bullshit think for a moment, read what I said, and understand that I am simply trying to paint an honest picture of what this area is like. If you want to open carry here you do have every legal right to. but, if you have a LTC a concealed weapon, it is my opinion that you may experience less drama if you go the concealed route.

To each their own.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No such thing...You can car carry with an LTCF or any other state's carry permit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2...don't be intimidated into surrendering your rights.  If you look and act responsible there shouldn't be a problem.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

All police officers have been told (in their legal updates) that open carry is 100% legal.

All officers have been told that the mere fact a person is OC'ing is NOT grounds to stop and question the person.

The "license to carry firearms" ALLOWS the person to carry concealed on or about their person and in a vehicle. It does NOT mean the firearm MUST be concealed.

I'd advise you to talk to different LEO's, since the ones you are talking to have no idea what they are talking about.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, you are covered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top