Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2003 4:09:33 PM EDT
I am visiting Fl. fron the 14th to the 20th. While I am down there I want to get a non-resident CCW permit. Anyone tell me what I need to bring and what to do once I get there? What paperwork should I bring, what paperwork can I get there?
Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks guys.
GaryM
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#1]
GaryM,
No such thing here in Florida, however, if you have a CCW permit from your own state, it will be honored here reciprically.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:33:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:50:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#4]
What you should bring with you when you come down is the training certificate. A military honorable discharge or police training will do. So will almost any NRA class. The requirement is that the instructor watch you safely discharge a firearm. If you've never had any formal training, you can attend a quick class at most gunshows.

Then you need the application packet. If you're coming down here, the easiest thing to do is just go to any Sheriff's office and ask for it. You can get it mail-order or off the internet, but you need to go to the Sheriff's office anyways for the fingerprinting, which costs $5 by law. I think non-resident is the same application, but you can ask them to be sure.

Then, you need the correct photo. It's similar to a passport photo, but not quite the same. Many local places will take it if you ask. You need to fill out the form and have it notarized, and you need to visit a bank to get a cashier's check to the correct government department. It was the Department of State when I got mine, but I think it's been moved to the Department of Agriculture since then.

Once you have all of this, you just mail it off and you will get your permit within 90 days (assuming you aren't a convicted felon or some other category of bad person).

It would also be a good idea to read the relevant sections of the Florida Weapons code, a copy of which comes with the permit application.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What you should bring with you when you come down is the training certificate. A military honorable discharge or police training will do. So will almost any NRA class. The requirement is that the instructor watch you safely discharge a firearm. If you've never had any formal training, you can attend a quick class at most gunshows.

So a DD214 will work?

Then you need the application packet. If you're coming down here, the easiest thing to do is just go to any Sheriff's office and ask for it. You can get it mail-order or off the internet, but you need to go to the Sheriff's office anyways for the fingerprinting, which costs $5 by law. I think non-resident is the same application, but you can ask them to be sure.

I am guessing it would be easier to just walk in a get this, I have only a week left before I am there and I have my doubts about the USPS.

Then, you need the correct photo. It's similar to a passport photo, but not quite the same. Many local places will take it if you ask. You need to fill out the form and have it notarized, and you need to visit a bank to get a cashier's check to the correct government department. It was the Department of State when I got mine, but I think it's been moved to the Department of Agriculture since then.

Once again, easier to get once I am there? Any places in particular or will most photo studios/passport type businesses know what to do.

Once you have all of this, you just mail it off and you will get your permit within 90 days (assuming you aren't a convicted felon or some other category of bad person).

They will mail it to my Mo. residence? I do not need to pick it up?

It would also be a good idea to read the relevant sections of the Florida Weapons code, a copy of which comes with the permit application.

Ok, now I need to find a copy of the Florida weapons code, I guess that should be online somewhere.

Thanks for all the help. This ought to be fun. The sad part is I (hopefully) will be getting a Fl. concealed weapons permit when my own state is one of the few that does not permit CCW at all.
(Yes, I know it will not allow me to carry in my home state but I like the idea of having a license anyway.)
Thanks again,
GaryM
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:13:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So a DD214 will work?

Yes, DD214 is listed in the application packet as valid for the training requirement. You only need to send a photocopy, so you can make one at home if you don't want to bring the original on a long trip.

I am guessing it would be easier to just walk in a get this, I have only a week left before I am there and I have my doubts about the USPS.

Yeah, like I said, even if you live here, it's easiest to just pick it up at the Sherrif's office, since you need to go there for the fingerprinting anyways.

Once again, easier to get once I am there? Any places in particular or will most photo studios/passport type businesses know what to do.

Yeah, that's probably easiest here. Most photo places should know what to do, but it wouldn't hurt to call ahead to make sure. Mailboxes etc./UPS store is a pretty good bet since they'll take the picture, do the notarization, sell you the postage, and mail it at the same place.

They will mail it to my Mo. residence? I do not need to pick it up?

Yes, all of the permits are delivered by mail.

Ok, now I need to find a copy of the Florida weapons code, I guess that should be online somewhere.

The application packet comes with a copy. They're online too, you can probably find it through ikor's link.

Thanks for all the help. This ought to be fun. The sad part is I (hopefully) will be getting a Fl. concealed weapons permit when my own state is one of the few that does not permit CCW at all.
(Yes, I know it will not allow me to carry in my home state but I like the idea of having a license anyway.)
Thanks again,
GaryM

Yeah, it stinks. Nothing to do but try to elect good people and get a good law pushed through. Reprocicity might allow you to carry in one or two other states with that permit too. Most states don't recognize non-resident permits, but I think a couple of them do (don't hold me to it, though).
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#7]
You will also need a copy of your birth certificate, the Fla statutes will be in your CCW application packet. Make sure to include your local address here in Florida, if you cannot show that you live here part time they will not give you one.

Use a family members address or a friends the application does not have a space for your out of state address, they need to mail to someone in state.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You will also need a copy of your birth certificate, the Fla statutes will be in your CCW application packet. Make sure to include your local address here in Florida, if you cannot show that you live here part time they will not give you one.

Non-residents can get Florida CCW just like residents.  No need to perjure yourself on the application.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top