Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/12/2006 2:44:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#1]
tag, glad the rain held off for you guys.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagged to add my 2 cents later. I, like the others, am exhausted.

ETA a teaser: HK416.

ETAA:

Thanks to Dinger, Dave, Simon and Tom. As Dinger said this was an oustanding class.

The instructors weren't as "live and let live" as Blackwater, but they were not "my way or the highway" either. That's a difficult balance to strike. The instructors had very good reasons for their opinions and provided ample justification for them. I changed a couple of things because of them, but I still don't agree with everything.

A couple of quick lessons learned that I think apply to all classes.
-Bring sunblock. It's March, most of us are white as ghosts from being in all winter. The least little sun will burn you.
-Wet wipes. The handiest thing in the world, IMO.
-Bring a ball cap. I forgot mine and ended up wearing a boonie hat. I'm not a big fan of boonie hats.
-Hydrate.
-I tried something different and wore a set of flight suit style coveralls. I will do this again in the future. The offered protection on the range and I could easily take them off revealing shorts an a T-shirt. Wear appropriate for grabbing a bite at Subway.
-Bring more ammo than the class calls for. The pistol went really well and we ended up expending more pistol ammo than called for. If you have some left over, I still consider that ammo for the class because you can use the ammo to practice what you have learned.
-That being said, if the round count is lower don't sweat it when the quality of instruction is there, as in this case. Again think of the extra ammo as ammo to practice what you have learned on your own time. Homework, if you will.
-Don't worry too much about spending $$ on a ton of gear. You'll learn what works and what doesn't real fast. You don't what to sink money into gear you don't need. A quality Kydex belt holster, two pistol mag holders and two rifle mag holders would have seen you through the class. Don't skimp on QUALITY, however.

What I would like to see in a more advanced class:
-One day of marksmanship refresher, pistol and rifle.
-More shooting obscured targets. The real world doesn't always present a nice bullseye.
-Shootig more humanoid targets, ie IPSC/IDPA, it doesn't have to be huge B-27 silhouettes.
-More timed drills. I'm not trying to get into a master class shooter type of thing, just add some stress.
-More competitions. Again for the stress factor. I could care less about anything more than bragging rights.
-A stress course. Basically, a course where you run to different shooting stations where you have to demonstrate different shooting positions. I've seen this done in a very safe way, so it can be done. One other thing about this, if you want to add difficulty, you put different weapons of different configurations at the various stations. It  can also add to safety because you don't have to run around with loaded weapons.

Overall, this class was a tremendous bargain. Blackwater charged more for their three day course, but I got more out of this class. I credit the instructors for that for challenging my assumptions going in.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Good class.

First thing it taught me is that I need to work more on marksmenship.  While I am reasonably happy with where my shots landed, I am not at all happy with the inconsistency of them.

Second thing it taught me is that I need a more powerful weapon light for the carbine.  Luckily the 951C takes a higher power bulb.

Third thing it taught me was that hitting the "A Zone" with your first shot is CRITICAL, for a variety of reasons.

I was a little disappointed that we shot so few rounds, but after hearing David's explanation of the round count I am satisifed we shot plenty of rounds to learn the curriculum.  I think more rounds may have been too many to hammer the teaching points home and fewer would not have been enough.

After Pat's class in May, I might have to work on my own for a little while to get the accuracy to where I think it should be.  I think I have the weapons manipulation and gear manipulation down, but my accuracy is scattered more than I would like.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#4]

+1 to everything VA-gunnut said.

Man, I'm beat.

Great weekend - I'll add more when I can.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag- I have to get some sleep.

Absolutely outstanding class.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:47:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:57:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Got in about 1230. Needless to say I’m beat. Great class with great people. Can’t beat that combination. Thank you Dinger for organizing the class and the VA crew for the hospitality. A truly great group of guys.

A few photos follow. Sorry about the image quality. The originals were shot in full resolution on my D70 and look great they lose some quality when I shrink them for the board.

I apologize if I screw up anyone’s name. On to some pron.

This is the long range range . We shot out to 200 yards rifle and 125 pistol. Well, the 1911 guys were shooting, and hitting, at 125 yards pistol. The targets are reduced sized IPSC.

Dingers best side.

Dport and SJauch working the steel.

Now for the 416 pron!

Dport

Dr Mark

Me

Bladerunner. Think he's done this before?

More to follow when I'm more awake.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:07:32 AM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#9]
tag.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
We shot out to 200 yards rifle and 125 pistol. Well, the 1911 guys were shooting, and hitting, at 125 yards pistol.

Yep, at least the last 2 getting hits on the steel with pistols as we moved back were getting the hits with 1911s.

Guys, what Mike didn't add was that he was the "last man standing," still getting hits as we increased our distance from the steel.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Let's call this my "fresh thoughts" AAR.

- I had some concerns over the pace after the first day, mainly because I was pretty tired. I was wondering if I'd get a lot out of the next two days if I was too tired to function well. The instructors showed their skill at teaching by keeping the pace moving at a good clip, but slow enough to let everything sink in. We moved through stuff quickly, but since we were all coming up to speed, we didn't have to wait. I like that the instructors didn't atificially slow down the pace in order to keep us closer to the prearranged schedule.

- The stress on accuracy showed me a different way to think. The aim small, miss small concept isn't new to me, but it was presented in such a way here that it was constantly reinforced. If we had shot at IDPA targets all day, I would have been happy to have most of the hits on the guy. "Minute of dude, good enough for me," right? By shooting at bullseyes on top of man-sized targets (thus emphasizing vital zone hits), I was constantly trying to improve my marksmanship and keep them all inside the bullseye. When we moved to the steel and I had problems hitting, this thought ran through my mind: "You know you can hit from here, you just did it on the bullseye." Bang, hit (eventually)

- I can't say enough about taking a class with a good group of people. Add good instructors into the mix, and there's no way to not come away from this without learning something. I consider the money and time spent on this course some of the best investments I've made in a while. Speaking of which, I can't thank Dinger enough for putting this thing together. You're on my Cool Guy list, Paul.

- SUNBLOCK. And aloe, while you're at it. Long sleeves if you can.

- Single point slings: not for me. I'm done farting around with slings. From here on out, it's two points slings and nothing else.

- I tried something new and brought every magazine I had with me. With less time spent loading, I was able to grab fresh mags and return to the line and shadow the other squad as they went through their drills. I felt like I was getting twice the reps in that way.

- I was happy to see some of the stuff I've been doing at Pungo and LGC paying off a little bit. My carbine shooting wasn't as good as I wanted, but I wasn't nearly as rusty as I was when I went to Blackwater last year.

- Did anyone happen to get a list of the books Simon was rattling off?

- At the beginning of the first day, when I realized I had met or seen nearly everyone in the class at least once already, it made me really miss Black Rifle Day.

- The round count didn't bother me in the least, high or low. I really felt like every round had a distinct purpose behind it, unlike at Blackwater where I can think of two drills right offhand that were fun as hell, but only really served to get the round count up. I'm all for fun, but not at the cost of not taking the time to learn something new. I can't remember ever trying shooting from my sides or laying back like we did. I'd hate to think we'd miss out on that to shoot another relay race or something. Don't get me wrong, I had a GREAT time on the relays, but learning first, fun second.

- I shot 2/3 of the class with non-gear gear. That is, no chest rig or subload, dropleg holster or anything hooah like that. I thought it was a real eye opener and I'm very glad I did it.

- I think dport suggestions for a follow up type class are great. However, I'm trying to keep in mind what David said about square range training: it's all just variations on the theme presented to us. Thus, I'm thinking I need to start expanding my world view and looking at some hand-to-hand fighting or something.

I guess that's it for now. You guys in class #2 are in for a great experience. Just wait until Tom starts talking about Arizona baby asses.

ETA some equipment afterthoughts.

My handgun: a bone stock Glock 19. Ran like a champ, did it's job when I did mine. I don't remember the last time I cleaned or lubed it. Now that I have all of this time with it though, I'm going to start shooting my 1911's again. I want to try and maintain proficiency with both.

My carbine: a mutt in the classic sense. RRA upper and lower Duracoated green (bought off of the EE from another VA Hometown member), Model 1 chrome lined 1x7 14.5in barrel, KAC RAS, Vltor stock on a Colt tube, Colt H buffer, RRA LPK and bolt group, PRI big latch, Aimpoint ML2 in Larue mount. Surefire bastardlight (6P with big head, 3V extension, P90 bulb, clicky cap, Viking Tactics mount), KAC grip. I've got around 2k rounds through this gun and it's been very reliable. Not one hiccup since I replaced the buffer spring a few months back. I used a CSM gear single point sling, and I was not happy with it. I was on the fence about single points before the class, now I hate them. I'm comfortable with an old style two point sling, and I can make it do what I want. I'll be sticking with that from here on out.

My "non-gear" gear: G-Code holster for the G19 with the belt attachment instead of the paddle. Eggroll Gear Labs belt mounted 4 cell pistol mag pouch. This was it for the pistol portion. The first day of carbine stuff, I used my pockets and a pair of TT singles with a Paraclete 4 cell pistol mag pouch layered on top mounted on my belt. Not an ideal setup, but it worked. I'll be replacing it with a custom made pouch shortly.

My hooah gear: SOTech Hellcat Mk2 with H harness. I've had this for a while and I really like it. The Paraclete 2 mag pouch I use for my "oh shit" reload is getting loose, so I'll need to replace it with something better. The Paraclete 4 cell pistol mag pouch was a little too tight for my taste as well. I'll have to replace that. Otherwise, that rig is good to go.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#12]
+2 on what VA-gunnut has said. The class has been a Re-fresher of sorts, but I did learn many new things , marksmanship has come out in this class as the most important aspect, (not just hitting your target). I've also learned that a little goes a long way in regards to gear, keep it simple.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#13]
A big thanks to Va_Dinger for setting up the class!

The three instructors complimented each other perfectly. The instruction was excellent and the entertainment factor was very high. Getting three perspectives on the aspects of shooting was extremely valuable.

The first day was pistol only. I had taken two pistol classes previously, so I was familiar with most of the material. We covered basic marksmanship, sight alignment, trigger control, trigger reset, stance, drawing from the holster, reloads, malfunctions, non-standard responses, and multiple targets. The new thing for me was Dave's technique for shooting strong/weak hand only. The night fire with a pistol was completely new to me. In addition to learning the application of flashlights and lighting techniques, for the first time ever, I also saw a visible laser being used in a useful manner. I also learned that my relatively poor night vision limited my shooting ability.

The second day we covered the fundamentals of carbine shooting. It was my first time shooting past 50 yards, so I was quite intimidated. I had never seen targets so small so far away. I was surprised to learn that I could actually make hits at 200 yards. The strong/weak hand only was something I had never even considered before. I was happy to learn that I could do it if necessary, with good hits too. We also covered transitions, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I discovered a minor issue for me. If I let the carbine hang in front of me, then it bangs around during movement. If I sling it to my weak side, then I cannot easily access my pistol mags. The low-light shooting with irons was new for me, but went very well. With the night shoot, I've only used weapon-mounted lights, so the use of a hand held light with a carbine was new to me. It worked better than expected.

On the final day, we covered movement and ground positions. I really need to work on firing while moving. I never get to do it live, and dry fire just doesn't compare. The ground stuff was all new to me. The relays were a lot of fun. At the end, we did another marksmanship assessment. I was a bit disappointed to find that my groups opened up. It will definitely motivate me to work harder when practicing on my own.

I shot Federal AE45A and AE223, 452 and 586 rounds respectively. No problems with the ammo.

For the pistol portion of the class, I mostly used a Kimber TLE. I had one malfunction, the slide locked back prematurely. Since I reloaded, I didn’t know until after the string of fire when I picked up the mag and saw that there were still cartridges in it. During the night shoot, I used a Kimber TLE with a rail. I experienced one malfunction. A cartridge skipped in front of the extractor, resulting in failure to return to battery. For the carbine component, I used a Colt AR. I brought a backup AR, but didn’t need to use it. There were no malfunctions, and no maintenance was required during the day.

I’ve used an Aimpoint in a previous class, so for this class I wanted to try something new and decided to use a 2x compact ACOG with a red triangle. I was very pleased with the optic. Even with prescription Oakleys, my vision is not perfect, so the slight magnification was appreciated. I was concerned about eye relief shooting weak-hand only and during the ground positions portion. It wasn’t a problem at all and I was able to make good hits. Indoors with a flashlight, I’m used to the reticle turning black. Much to my surprise, the reticle stayed red during the night shoot.

As for other gear, the first day I used a regular Blade-Tech holster. I had four pistol mags on my belt. I also kept extra mags in my cargo pockets, which I didn’t like very much. They banged my knees when walking around, and fell out when sprinting. From previous classes, I no longer wanted to stuff retained mags in my back pocket, so I decided to use a CSM dump pouch. It made a huge difference and was so much more convenient. I kept loose .45 rounds in it to refill used mags. Of the new equipment I tried for the class, the dump pouch is probably my favorite. For the second and third day, I had two pistol mags and two AR mags on the belt, with spares in cargo pockets. In the Quantico AAR, there was a Sig covered in sand from someone using an open top kydex holster. I knew we would be doing some ground work, so I was concerned the ejection port of my 1911 might get stuffed and cause a malfunction. I wanted something with a bit more protection and since I had never used a thigh holster before, I kind of wanted to try out a 6004. I absolutely love it. Sure, it’s a tad slower and not ideal for civilians, but for some reason I just like everything about it. Some minor debris still managed to find its way to the ejection port, but not enough to matter. I’m not totally comfortable running with my Blade-Tech since I feel like the pistol might part company with the holster, but I have no qualms about doing so with the 6004 and was glad to have it during the relays.

There was also some unexpected gear I got to check out. Grant had a night vision device, which I had never looked through before, so that was cool. I had never fired full auto, so shooting the 416 was quite an experience. I had not heard suppressed fire without hearing protection, so the Surefire demo was pretty sweet.

Getting to meet a good group of people was a real treat.

I had a great time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:01:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like a good time guys.  I'm really looking forward to my class this weekend.  

Quoted:
Second thing it taught me is that I need a more powerful weapon light for the carbine.  Luckily the 951C takes a higher power bulb.

Ed, at what distance was the night fire?  I'm debating putting the 225L lamp into my M900 if it's going to be longer distances.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:02:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:35:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Good write up, thanks.

You guys have obviously got the gear, so why aren't you shooting 3gun? Maybe I missed something, but I did not recognize a single face from the photos above. Please know that you are welcome to join us for practice & keeping the new skills sharp. For example:  

-There is a 3 gun this Sunday in Waldorf MD; 1 hr from most places around NOVA/DC.  

-Also this Sunday we are shooting 2gun (pistol/carbine) at BlackWater - which is a training facility in Moyock, NC & also the largest supplier of armed security contractors to Iraq.

-There will be a big 3gun under USPSA rules later this season in Thurmont MD just outside Frederick; details www.mpsa.net

-Black Creek near Richmond does 3 gun every month.

-We shoot 2 & 3 gun every month, year round indoors at Shooters Paradise in Woodbridge, VA www.shootersparadise.com    Check out our forum for 3 gun info as its often posted there.

If he is who I think he is, the Simon who taught you shoots with us often.  Ask him his opinion of the training value of 3gun, USPSA and IDPA.  

See you at the range,

D.C. Johnson
www.shootersparadise.com
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If he is who I think he is, the Simon who taught you shoots with us often.  Ask him his opinion of the training value of 3gun, USPSA and IDPA.  

He covered it in the class.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Where was this and when is the next one. I probably wont be able to attend but would like mor einfo on this if it is going to be a reacurring class. I hope to pay my truck off this summer and maybe build another rifle and would like to go to smoething like that class.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Where was this and when is the next one. I probably wont be able to attend but would like mor einfo on this if it is going to be a reacurring class. I hope to pay my truck off this summer and maybe build another rifle and would like to go to smoething like that class.

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=24&t=212742

It is not likely to be a recurring class.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Sounds like a good time guys.  I'm really looking forward to my class this weekend.  

Quoted:

Ed, at what distance was the night fire?  I'm debating putting the 225L lamp into my M900 if it's going to be longer distances.  

I'd put it around 75 yards also. The deal there was that there was a bit of haze coming in, which caused some of the more powerful lights to be less effective than they could have been. That is, there was a bit of whiteout. I was VERY surprised to see how some of the lights performed at distance in the dark. I was keeping an eye on the LED lights, which I've never been impressed with, in terms of light "throw". I saw an Executive with an LED conversion head was very impressed with it, especially compared to the 9V LED in the Larue Battlelight. The whiteout seemed less noticable with LED lights to me. Maybe it's the blue tint I always seem to see from LED lights.

Re: 3 gun shooting. I'll be at Blackwater on Sunday. I've decided to make a committment to keep myself fresh by shooting a match of some type at least once a month.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Subzero wrote: "Re: 3 gun shooting. I'll be at Blackwater on Sunday. I've decided to make a committment to keep myself fresh by shooting a match of some type at least once a month. "

Good man. I understand that we will be using one or possibly BOTH of BlackWater's shoot-houses on Sunday.  

Regards,

D.C. Johnson
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Guys, I'm very pleased that everyone enjoyed the class so much and that you took something out of it.

I learned the focus on accuracy about 5 years ago. The concept is simple; when all else fails you default to accuracy. You can be out of practice, cold, wet, tired, or injured but if you can make an accurate shot you at least have hits.

When I used to get out of practice because of work commitments, my speed would fall off but my accuracy always held. Accuracy with less speed still results in hits. Speed without accuracy gives you a default of fast misses.

The single best thing I ever did for my combat pistol shooting was starting to shoot 25 yard slow fire bullseye groups. Every other part of my shoting improved as a result.

The ideal is a shooter who shoots accurately and fast. You need both but the accuracy needs to come first and it always wins out. You simply can not shoot fast enough to make up for misses. Just as importantly, you are responsible for all of your shots and hits are easier to justify than misses.

Thanks to all for making this a great class.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Dave,
Do you have the name of the dry fire system you mentioned?

I don't have access to a range like I used to and would like to at least get some sort of feedback.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#25]

The dry firing system mentioned is this:

www.rovatec.com

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks Mark.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Lets see if this vid works

photobucket.com/albums/v482/sjauch/Video/?action=view¤t=20060311_11.flv

***Edited to fix link<va-gunnut>***
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Simon was shooting what model SIG? 228 or 229?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/sjauch/th_20060311_11.jpg

The link code has an extra http:// in it, and extraneous quotation marks, but after getting rid of that, the video plays.

Very cool, Steve.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:15:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Simon had a 229.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:28:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

photobucket.com/albums/v482/sjauch/Video/?action=view¤t=20060311_11.flv

***Edited to fix link<va-gunnut>***

Password required
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:11:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Did anybody else get sick when they got home? I tested negative for strep throat & flu, but have been running a 100-102 degree temp since Sunday night. It started with a bad headache after lunch on Sunday, but now it's grown to headache, fever, and sore throat.

It sucks, although it has given me plenty of time to clean weapons. They are all spot less again.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:06:13 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Did anybody else get sick when they got home? I tested negative for strep throat & flu, but have been running a 100-102 degree temp since Sunday night. It started with a bad headache after lunch on Sunday, but now it's grown to headache, fever, and sore throat.

It sucks, although it has given me plenty of time to clean weapons. They are all spot less again.

Looks like the flu is hitting Virginia pretty hard.  There are a few other HTF members who have been ill over the past couple weeks, people at work have come down with it as well.  One of my friends injured his back was at the hospital, they sent him home and told him to come back in 4 days because they are so swamped with people who have the flu.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Local schools are full of stuff like this now... I've been popping extra Vitamin C.   I'm glad I've avoided it.  I had some sinus/congestion/cough stuff going on during the class, but it was likely allergies.  No fever or sore throat here (knock on wood).  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:18:12 AM EDT
[#37]
I was coughing but was obviously a congestion issue and not necessarily a virus.  I never had a high temp, and my throat was only sore after coughing for 10 minutes straight.

High levels of activity, combined with less rest in the vicinity of flu germs from others = You'll get sick easier.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:17:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I spent Monday in the bathroom.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#39]
It could be food poisoning.  Where did you all eat?  Or maybe it has to do with the rake?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Hope you guys are feeling better. The only problem I am experiencing right now is my knee, think I aggravated an old injury from my younger days backpacking in NH.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
It could be food poisoning.  Where did you all eat?

That reminds me, what did you guys do for food?  Bring lunch to the range?  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think most guys went out into town for lunch.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think most guys went out into town for lunch.

Yeah, within 5 minutes there's a McDonald's, Hardee's, and Subway.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Yeah, I was pretty sick on Friday night and didn't sleep an hour all night but then it got better. Then I was sick again yesterday and last night/today has been hell. My 3 month old is throwing up too.

I think it hit one of the other instructors too and it seems to be going around.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Last week the flu kicked my ass pretty good. No way I could have done a training course last Fri/Sat/Sun. I am feeling a good bit better but am still not 100% yet.  Good enough for the class though
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Can anyone enlighten me on the make of the mag retention system Simon had during the class. I recall them being green, laminated or plastic with adjustment screws for tension on the mags, could they be from safariland ?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I could have sworn they're bladetech.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I could have sworn they're bladetech.

Thank You I heard the name come up in a conversation, was not sure what they were referring too.

Update : Thanks again, dport,  I checked out the bladetech site. Neat Stuff , it is what I am looking for.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't think they were Blade-Tech, since they had a hole on the bottom at the front. None of my current model Blade-Tech pistol mag pouches look like his.

In other news, fellas, I just did my first USPSA match, shooting Single Stack major. I am ashamed to say that some of my training went out the window. I failed to use the front sight, and ended up doing some sort of soft focus point shooting. A halfway decent index probably saved me and I was able to make acceptable hits. I think the speed of the other competitors may have been a bit infectious. Furthermore, I have become much too accustomed to short strings of fire. You know the drill: two shots, stop, two shots, stop, assess, maybe a reload with retention, etc. Inevitably, there are lulls in the action. I wasn't used to being required to maintain focus across multiple targets and multiple reloads. And frankly, I wasn't used to swinging my weapon in such a wide arc. At classes, if we do multiple targets (and usually only two at that), they tend to be very close together. The one aspect of my performance that I was happy with was that I did not fumble any reloads.

I know David and Tom don't want to waste ammo, but my suggestion for class #2 is to perhaps incorporate longer strings of fire. I know from personal experience that short strings of fire can mask stance deficiencies. For example, my stance for semi-auto carbine seemed to work fine throughout the class, but proved inadequate when I fired the 416. Ask me to shoot two shots with a pistol, and it's a piece of cake. Even with three sight pictures, it only requires a moment of my attention and my form stays intact. But ask me to dump a mag, and things quickly go south. And since the second class is smaller, maybe instead of two targets side by side, have them shoot every other target instead. I understand that it may not be the real world and not necessarily the way to fight (no assessments involved), but it might be useful practice. I figure if a student can handle a large array, then he or she will probably be able to easily manage two targets close together. For now, it's pretty well ingrained in my mind to fire a few shots, track the target down, then go back to ready with the safety on to assess. Thoughts?

Thanks to CBR900 for allowing me to crash the match on short notice.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Guys
Sorry I haven't added to this yet. I have been working 14 hour days since I got back to work on Monday.  I should be done on Friday and able to post some of the pictures I took. Some turned out pretty good.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top