Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2008 3:48:10 PM EDT

Rains from last weeks tropical system were great,  however the water table can not handle another deluge.  If this storm track is accurate, we will receive flooding rains and possibly tornadoes.  

Don't be caught with your pants down.  Make sure you have your vehicles gassed up, batteries, food, water and possible escape plans if you live in low lying or flood prone areas.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 3:59:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:
Don't be caught with your pants down.  Make sure you have your vehicles gassed up, batteries, food, water and possible escape plans if you live in low lying or flood prone areas.

Sounds like standard 'anti-zombie' preparation to me . . .

Link Posted: 9/1/2008 4:10:44 PM EDT
yeah, and there is a NASCAR race at Richmond on Saturday that I am supposed to be at....

has RIR said anything about it yet?  no

has NASCAR said anything about it yet?  of course not

no, instead these dumbasses will let 200,000 come to the city for the race INTO a tropical depression and then decide something about the race

I wrote the race track tonight...hopefully they will be proactive and not reactive....

i am not hopeful
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 4:33:37 PM EDT
don't be a pansy...it's Nascar - rednecks love hurricanes and tornados...

Originally Posted By trio:
yeah, and there is a NASCAR race at Richmond on Saturday that I am supposed to be at....

has RIR said anything about it yet?  no

has NASCAR said anything about it yet?  of course not

no, instead these dumbasses will let 200,000 come to the city for the race INTO a tropical depression and then decide something about the race

I wrote the race track tonight...hopefully they will be proactive and not reactive....

i am not hopeful
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 4:57:56 PM EDT

VTHOKIESHOOTER,

It looks like that dash runs right over our houses :-(  I have been watching this one more that Gus as I knew it was coming our way.

Looks like time to take the swiftwater rescue gear off the drying rack and put it in the bag.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2008 5:21:36 PM EDT
maybe there will be a SHTF situation
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 5:38:47 PM EDT
For those going to the NASCAR race @ RIR:  Having worked for HPD I can tell you there are contingency plans.  However, unless there is an immediate life threatening situation, yeah or nay is only called by the NASCAR nimrods.  They like your money.  Look for something more concrete to be put out on Thursday maybe even late Wed if the track of the storm is a little more certain.

I would be just as happy if the next couple of tropical systems lined up out there stayed out there.  I lived without electricity or water for 10 days after Isabel.  Not a great time when your wife is pregnant.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 5:51:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By USNDOC:
VTHOKIESHOOTER,

It looks like that dash runs right over our houses :-(  I have been watching this one more that Gus as I knew it was coming our way.

Looks like time to take the swiftwater rescue gear off the drying rack and put it in the bag.  

Yep, I am right in the cross hairs.  Luckily I live on the top of a hill, but the road at the bottom flooded after every heavy thunderstorm this summer.  I am preparing accordingly.  I also have good friends who live in Charleston, SC who I might be helping out as well.  I may be riding out Hanna down there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 6:14:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2008 6:15:29 PM EDT by MaverickH1]
I'm right in the cross-hairs as well.  And I'm currently living directly next to the Kanawha River...

All I've got is .40 s&w.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 6:28:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MaverickH1:
I'm right in the cross-hairs as well.  And I'm currently living directly next to the Kanawha River...

All I've got is .40 s&w.
Be more worried about food, water, TP and an escape route.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 6:59:45 PM EDT
When is it expected to hit VA?
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 7:10:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pevrs114:
When is it expected to hit VA?

that new track takes it right over my house Saturday...and right over the racetrack as well...

I have hotel rooms, tickets, etc....i'm gonna be PISSED if NASCAR waits....
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 7:39:50 PM EDT
Hopefully it will indeed come in in SC, and spend a little more time over land before it runs over us.  We in the Richmond area got completely boned by Isabel, and I don't want to go that clean up again.  To say nothing about the multi day power outages...
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 8:11:42 PM EDT

Be more worried about food, water, TP and an escape route.

Oh I'm set with all the boring stuff
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 8:25:46 PM EDT
my vacation starts on sept 6th.. im going to myrtle beach....
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 9:06:46 PM EDT
What perfect timing for my Army reserve drill this weekend, were doing a  FTX and Rifle qual this weekend!    
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 2:03:34 AM EDT
Not to wish misfortune on others, but I wouldn’t mind if this thing made landfall a little further south.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 2:40:23 AM EDT
I'm staying right where I'm at. I just gotta get my AR-15 running right.  my 6.8 runs flawless but the 223 runs for crap. Who'd a thunk it.   I'm still ready for zombies though
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 4:12:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bean93x:

I think your right.  Because my hiddin car cam got this pic yesterday as I napped

Link Posted: 9/2/2008 4:28:59 AM EDT
Man, Lootie shows up everywhere these days.  I guess Katrina was his path to fame!
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 4:51:07 AM EDT
Hmmm....

That dashed line, if followed, would put the eye (if there is still one when it arrives) right over my home

For a quarter century I've been a NoVA resident, and this is the first hurricane I'll likely have to deal with.  Any pointers/tips that my Tidewater brethren could provide would be most welcome.

Judging on what I do know, the greatest threat to my personal situation is going to be wind.  Flooding is also a threat, and while I'm not worried about it reaching me in a 3rd story condo, it could still affect water supplies.  I'll have to get a few large gallon containers (which never hurts to have) but more likely, if it's looking real bad, fill up the bath tubs.  That's only if it's going to look really bad, though.

Fortunately there's plenty of MREs and Ramen on hand, so food isn't an issue for a while.

Electricity isn't necessary, but keeping perishables cold is a concern.  I'm not as much worried about the food, as I am about the milk the baby drinks.  Also there's the matter of communications.  I haven't obtained my Amateur Radio license yet, and don't have any HAM equipment yet, but the CB's ready to go - I just need to obtain a power source for it which isn't tied to a V6 engine.

Those of you in the immediate Ashburn/Sterling/Dulles/Herndon area, if you have a CB and the S does HTF, well known channels are 19 (usually a "trucker" channel), and 9 (Emergency use only).  Don't start off by checking this channel, but if we manage to link up, we should move over to channel 15 (as in, AR-15) so 9 and 19 can remain free for other parties.  FWIW and if it's ever needed, I go by the handle "headstamp" on the air.

I doubt it will ever reach the point of needed to do any/all of this, but if you're smart, you prepare for the worst while hoping for the best.

_MaH
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 5:26:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2008 5:37:17 AM EDT by mstem]
From that track, it is going to come directly over my house! Southern VA just above the NC state line. Won't have to worry about flooding, live on top of a hill. If water gets to me, it's time to call Noah! But I keep things stocked, so I have plenty of everything. Execpt a generator. When Fran came through we got a direct hit from it. Hugo brushed us. Power was out for 8 days in our area because of Fran & it sucked! And the AR plus a few more are ready, even though I'm under Dr's orders "NO shooting until NEXT hunting season!!!!!" Will do what I have to do.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:15:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2008 6:16:52 AM EDT by DriftPunch]

Originally Posted By mhoffman:

For a quarter century I've been a NoVA resident, and this is the first hurricane I'll likely have to deal with.

Where were you during Isabel?

If you are not in a flood plain and you are not near tidal waters, the absolute worst problem you will face is trees playing smashy-smashy with your house, shed or vehicles.

We would probably see TS force strength winds at best you don't have to worry about things like shingles being removed or windows poked out.  

Apart from the preparedness you are already aware of, make sure you:

- secure lawn furnature, grills, kiddie pools, etc...
- have made sure your gutters are not stopped up
- have fuel and bar oil for your chain saw
- more water (unless you are on city water)

Note that if that track holds, it will go up the valley as the true path will be an arc.  It's still too far away to be sure...
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:18:55 AM EDT

Hmmm....

That dashed line, if followed, would put the eye (if there is still one when it arrives) right over my home

For a quarter century I've been a NoVA resident, and this is the first hurricane I'll likely have to deal with.  Any pointers/tips that my Tidewater brethren could provide would be most welcome.

Judging on what I do know, the greatest threat to my personal situation is going to be wind.  Flooding is also a threat, and while I'm not worried about it reaching me in a 3rd story condo, it could still affect water supplies.  I'll have to get a few large gallon containers (which never hurts to have) but more likely, if it's looking real bad, fill up the bath tubs.  That's only if it's going to look really bad, though.

Fortunately there's plenty of MREs and Ramen on hand, so food isn't an issue for a while.

Electricity isn't necessary, but keeping perishables cold is a concern.  I'm not as much worried about the food, as I am about the milk the baby drinks.  Also there's the matter of communications.  I haven't obtained my Amateur Radio license yet, and don't have any HAM equipment yet, but the CB's ready to go - I just need to obtain a power source for it which isn't tied to a V6 engine.

Those of you in the immediate Ashburn/Sterling/Dulles/Herndon area, if you have a CB and the S does HTF, well known channels are 19 (usually a "trucker" channel), and 9 (Emergency use only).  Don't start off by checking this channel, but if we manage to link up, we should move over to channel 15 (as in, AR-15) so 9 and 19 can remain free for other parties.  FWIW and if it's ever needed, I go by the handle "headstamp" on the air.

I doubt it will ever reach the point of needed to do any/all of this, but if you're smart, you prepare for the worst while hoping for the best.

_MaH

by the time it gets to VA it will probably be a tropical depression or even less.. nothing to really worry about except a good amount of rain..
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:33:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hootowl:

Originally Posted By bean93x:

I think your right.  Because my hiddin car cam got this pic yesterday as I napped

i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj286/2secure1/ack.gif

Naaaa, dude...Lootie's on vacation:

Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:35:06 AM EDT

Hell, I remember Agnes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:53:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2008 7:57:19 AM EDT by SHIVAN]

I think you've dealt with more outer bands of hurricanes then you remember:

Hurricanes

Here's Hugo:

Here's Opal:

Here's Bertha:

Here's Fran:
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 8:43:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:

I think you've dealt with more outer bands of hurricanes then you remember:

Hurricanes

Here's Hugo:
www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/research/roth/images/hugo.gif

Here's Opal:
www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/research/roth/images/opalga.gif

Here's Bertha:
www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/research/roth/images/berthair.gif

Here's Fran:
www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/images%5Churricane-fran.gif

Fran - 1996
Bertha - 1996
Opal - 1995
Hugo - 1989
mhoffman - 1983

Yeah, I was a bit young for those....

_MaH
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 10:33:11 AM EDT
Kill it with fire.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 12:16:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JMichael99:

Hmmm....

_MaH

by the time it gets to VA it will probably be a tropical depression or even less.. nothing to really worry about except a good amount of rain..

Sounds about right.

Very few storms can travel over that much land and have anything much left.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 12:40:45 PM EDT

Hmmm....

_MaH

I guess you don't know what Hurricane Chamile did to Virginia as a tropical depression.  Ditto for Fran, which caused massive flooding in the Shenandoah valley.

Hurricane Ivan's remnants spawned dozens of tornadoes throughout the state causing millions in property damage.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 12:45:42 PM EDT

Hurricane Ivan's remnants spawned dozens of tornadoes throughout the state causing millions in property damage.

Do trailers cost that much?

Sorry, couldn't resist to poke fun at my former home state.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 1:33:03 PM EDT
We had that little Gaston' thing back a couple of years ago.  It dumped a foot of rain in 8 hours and was only a little tropical depression at the time.  Permanently changed the landscape of the Richmond area in places.

I figure Richmond is screwed.  There will be a gazillion travel trailers and RV's at RIR.  Don't those things attract tornadoes?
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 1:50:43 PM EDT
Make sure you guys have roofing nails, hammers and tarps/plastic in case you do have a tree fall on the roof.   That really is the biggest risk if you are out of a flood plain.  Isabel was an interesting time even as far inland as Caroline Co.  Make sure you have a good wx radio and are prepared for the power outages.      
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 2:24:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tipsovr:
We had that little Gaston' thing back a couple of years ago.  It dumped a foot of rain in 8 hours and was only a little tropical depression at the time.  Permanently changed the landscape of the Richmond area in places.

I figure Richmond is screwed.  There will be a gazillion travel trailers and RV's at RIR.  Don't those things attract tornadoes?

“Given the projected path of Tropical Storm Hanna, we are working closely with NASCAR, as well as state and local government officials to monitor the path and potential impact of the storm.  As always, the safety of our fans, competitors and the local community is of the utmost importance to Richmond International Raceway.  This weekend’s events are currently scheduled to run as planned but we will provide updates at www.rir.com and 877-251-7223, as to their status at least twice daily, or as needed."

I got that in my email today....well, I am glad they are monitoring it

If you look at that latest NOAA projection, that thing is literally parked over Richmond at the drop of the green flag....and no matter the projection, that thing has always been in Virginia on Saturday.....but we're still going off as scheduled...
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 2:43:07 PM EDT

I forgot about Gaston............
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 3:07:43 PM EDT

A hurricane?!?

Off to the ABC store!!

Link Posted: 9/2/2008 3:11:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DrMark:
A hurricane?!?

Off to the ABC store!!

Priorities I say!

Link Posted: 9/2/2008 4:07:40 PM EDT
Trio - it's ok.  Rednecks like hurricanes and big storms...

“Given the projected path of Tropical Storm Hanna, we are working closely with NASCAR, as well as state and local government officials to monitor the path and potential impact of the storm.  As always, the safety of our fans, competitors and the local community is of the utmost importance to Richmond International Raceway.  This weekend’s events are currently scheduled to run as planned but we will provide updates at www.rir.com and 877-251-7223, as to their status at least twice daily, or as needed."

If you look at that latest NOAA projection, that thing is literally parked over Richmond at the drop of the green flag....and no matter the projection, that thing has always been in Virginia on Saturday.....but we're still going off as scheduled...
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 4:20:44 PM EDT
I live between Richmond and Charlottesville when Isabel came through. We lost power for 5 days. My generator kept the wife and kids happy. I can run the well pump, water heater, fridg. freezer, tv, sat, and some lights. I would run the water heater for about 1 hour each day by itself. That baby draws some power. I had 15 gals. of gas on hand and still had to go search for more. Lesson learned. All the gas stations in my area had no power so they were closed. One station had a generator and were pumping gas. You should of seen the lines I had to wait about 1/2 hour but I got more gas. I was lucky there was still gas in there tanks. My neighbors without generators were miserable.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 5:07:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 05LowRider:
Trio - it's ok.  Rednecks like hurricanes and big storms...

as a redneck who has lived in Hawaii and South Georgia I can assure I do NOT like hurricanes OR tornadoes
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 4:32:41 AM EDT

A hurricane?!?

Off to the ABC store!!

Good lord how did I forget to check up on those supplies??

Thanks!

_MaH
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 8:09:44 PM EDT
I don't think Hannah will be much of a much. It does bring into focus your level of preparedness so that is a good thing. I've already made a home check and filled my gas cans. I always have 25 gals of water.

When I built my home I made sure I had drainage all the way around the house so I located it on a small knoll along a ridge with no nearby streams. Trees were left or planted on the edges of my property so they would not hit the house in a storm. I own some beautiful property on the Shenandoah River but I was not fool enough to build there.

With the generator, wood stove, and plenty of fuel for my Coleman stoves I don't worry about weather too much.

I'm more worried about the Outer Banks. I go down for some surf fishing on the 20th.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 8:17:53 PM EDT
meh.

and my new house has a ton of trees hanging over it the hoa refuses to cut.  needs a new roof anyways
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 8:39:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DriftPunch:

For a quarter century I've been a NoVA resident, and this is the first hurricane I'll likely have to deal with.

Ah yes.... got off shift at Lockheed in Reston abt 2200 the night it came buzzing through, and didn't
get home to Ashburn until around 0130 or so. There were so many trees down between Sunrise Valley
Drive and 606, I used up a good chunk of a box of flares I happened to have in the trunk of the car.

Moved what I could, marked what I couldn't and called it in to dispatch. Luckily I had my gear w/ me,
or I'd have been a hell of a lot more wet than I was.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 10:08:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2008 10:09:41 PM EDT by kitwulfen]

A hurricane?!?

Off to the ABC store!!

Good lord how did I forget to check up on those supplies??

Thanks!

_MaH

Hurricane Shopping

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:33:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2008 1:34:38 AM EDT by UNIT6639]

A hurricane?!?

Off to the ABC store!!

DrMark's priorities are STRAIGHT , I may need to make a run there on Friday after work
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:18:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2008 5:19:25 AM EDT by mhoffman]
Things are looking better now, but there's still the chance of a hit.

Better than the "right up the middle of the whole damn state" path that was predicted earlier.

_MaH

ETA: Okay, looks like Hokieshooter's link is live, so this is the current image in the OP (until it changes again).
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:11:26 AM EDT

Hmmm....

_MaH

I guess you don't know what Hurricane Chamile did to Virginia as a tropical depression.  Ditto for Fran, which caused massive flooding in the Shenandoah valley.

Not very much.
Localized damage.

Agnes hit the NoVA area pretty badly, including draining Lake Barcroft when they could not dump enough water over fast enough.

The Virginia coasts are as vulnerable as any coast, though even then the distance from the warm water areas that 'feed' the storms is pretty good.

Visit parts of Florida or the gulf Coast that get hammered by full strength hurricanes coming ashore and Virginia's damage looks pretty mild.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:16:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By brickeyee:
Not very much.
Localized damage.

Agnes hit the NoVA area pretty badly, including draining Lake Barcroft when they could not dump enough water over fast enough.

The Virginia coasts are as vulnerable as any coast, though even then the distance from the warm water areas that 'feed' the storms is pretty good.

Visit parts of Florida or the gulf Coast that get hammered by full strength hurricanes coming ashore and Virginia's damage looks pretty mild.
Not trying to compare damage in the Gulf coast to what could be experienced here in Virginia, just pointing out that "just a depression" or "just a tropical storm" isn't a very good mindset as loss of life and property can occur just as easily here in Virginia as else where.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:17:40 AM EDT
Hopefully Richmond gets wiped off the map! The ex lives up there!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top