Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/4/2005 9:26:19 AM EDT
Here in Virginia a man can buy an AR or other firearm immediately (instant background check), then, if it's a pistol, he can buy a holster and strap it on (open carry is legal) and walk out the door. You need a permit for concealed carry but if you have no criminal record we're a "shall issue" state....

So my question is... if I was to move to MI next year, would it make more sense to buy all the goodies I want to now, in 2005 here, or is it just as easy up there?

Do you need permits just to own ARs or pistols or merely to carry them?

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:12:28 AM EDT
Let me take the first stab at this...

In Michigan, you need a Purchase Permit, available from your local PD, in order to buy a handgun. If you have a CPL, you do not need a Purchase Permit. The federal 4473 is also required.

Once you purchase your handgun, you need to take it and the Purchase Permit, or the form you filled out because you have a CPL, to your PD for a "Safety Inspection." At that time, you will receive your "Safety Inspection" card that you are supposed to keep until you get rid of that handgun. Yes, the state does keep track of these "Safety Inspections".

You only need the Federal 4473 for long guns. No "Safety Inspections."

I'm pretty new to AR's, so I don't know any specifics there. I do know that we have some sort of length requirement... There's a recent thread here about that.

Others will have more and maybe better information... but I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:53:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/4/2005 10:58:45 AM EDT by G_22]
Any pistol you may have now, or buy from the state you live in now, would be subject to a "safety inspection" (registration) at the local PD of wherever you decide to move in Michigan.
Read this FAQ:

Short barreled rifles also must be "safety inspected". (anything under 16" in barrel length and anything under 30" OAL).

Rifles over the length requirements above that you bring from your own state, do not require any inspection.

If you buy a rifle here you will have to fill out the Federal 4473, if you buy it from a dealer.
Private face to face sales of these rifles don't require the 4473.

Welcome to Michigan BTW!! I'm not a lawyer so, if you have any other legal questions, register for free at www.mgouc.com there is a Legal Beagle section where a Michigan Lawyer will answer your questions to the best of his ability. And he's a prety darned good guy.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:32:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/4/2005 1:38:24 PM EDT by rocketman223]
Shor barreled rifles are illegal in MI regardless of their status in VA. No full auto (unless FFL curio/relic) and No suppressors (unless FFL class III SOT) . No AOW's either. Rifle with barrel of 16" but having overall length greater than 26" but less than 30" must be safety inpected and registered.

Just my understanding of the rulz. Go to Michigan State Police and check.

Edited to add; while I believe open carry is legal here, there are so many laws that govern where you can carry that you could unwittingly break the law and that would ruin your day. A permit to purchase is needed if you plan to buy a pistol. I just got one last week and it took about 10 min. at the local PD. Couple of forms, they run criminal history and you take a short quiz related to MI gun laws and some common sense stuff. They issued the permit. Yuo have 10 days to use it otherwise it must be returned. If you buy you have 10 days to get the purchased pistol in for safety inspection with the portion of the permit to purchase not used in the transaction.

Aw hell just use the link and read the information for yourself.....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:44:14 AM EDT
What kind of questions do they ask you for the purchase permit?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:44:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:02:56 PM EDT
Our local PD is so cheap that they can't afford to keep it fully staffed 5 days a week.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:50:01 PM EDT
It is my opinion, in answer to your second question, that rifles and shotguns whose barrels are at least 16 and 18 inches in length, respectively, with folding and/or telescoping stocks, which are fully operable with stocks folded or contracted, and whose lengths are less than 26 inches with stocks folded or contracted, fall within the definitions of ‘short-barreled rifle’ and ‘short-barreled shotgun,’ and their sale or possession is prohibited by MCL 750.224b; MSA 28.421(2).

Frank J. Kelley
Attorney General
Opinion No. 6406
December 10, 1986
From the PDF file pg. 140

So is Michigan a BANNED state for the SEBR purchase and therefore requite a post ban version?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:02:25 PM EDT


So is Michigan a BANNED state for the SEBR purchase and therefore requite a post ban version?

I would like an answer to this as well.
Top Top