Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2007 4:18:13 PM EDT
Question about getting a VA carry permit.

I have recently moved to VA and hold a current, valid NC CHL.  Will my NC permit satisfy the VA requirement for proficiency with a handgun as described in VA Code?

The applicant shall demonstrate competence with a handgun by one of the following:

1. Completing a hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state;

4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition approved by the Department of State Police or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in the Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;

7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or

9. Completing any other firearms training that the Virginia Department of State Police deems adequate.

I also have the item in red from NC.  I'm hoping my NC CHL will fill the item in blue. (And the reason I ask this is that my wide also has a NC CHL, but no hunter safety)
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I cann't answer your specific question, but I can tell you that Virginia extends reciprocity to NC CCW holders. You and your wife can legally carry concealed in Virginia.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:58:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I cann't answer your specific question, but I can tell you that Virginia extends reciprocity to NC CCW holders. You and your wife can legally carry concealed in Virginia.

Yeah, we've been aware of that.

Right now I'm in kind of a grey area.  I have a valid NC permit, but VA ID.  NC and VA have reciprocity but I'm not too sure just what would happen if I were to carry and got questioned by either a NC or VA LEO (I do a lot of work still in NC).

On the plus side, both states are open carry.

My personal thinking is that VA should honor the NC permit as sufficient for the training, seeing as how VA and NC have reciprocity.  I'll probably end up just going down to the courthouse and asking.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#3]
hmm dunno.

If you have ever taken hunter safety and have or can get the card its nationally valid so that would work
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I know that when I got my VA CHL I had the same question.  The clerk had me fax a copy of my KY CCW permit and training cert.  called the clerk later and they said good to go and to send in my application.  Got it back 2 weeks later without a hitch.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#5]

3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state;

What sort of training is required in NC?  Seems to me that this standard may cover your permit from NC.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have or have you had a membership card to a sportsmans club or shooting team?  C&R license?

I'd go ahead and submit the application with a copy of your NC CHL.  If you have any other shooting related certs, submit copies of them.

I provided copies of my NY CHL, My pistol team ID and my 03FFL.  The clerk asked where my training cert was, I told her I had a NY CHL so I thought I'd be OK.  Got my VA CHL in 2 weeks!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#7]
NC actually requires specific training and it is much more in depth than what will suffice in VA. Now, just hope your circuit court will accept it. You might be able get a copy of the NC "model course" lesson plan and submit that with your application form. If I can help in this aspect, let me know.

If you were going the other way, VA to NC, you wouldn't need the NC permit at all. You could renew your VA non resident permit and carry there indefinitely, or at least until the law changes.

Randy
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you have or have you had a membership card to a sportsmans club or shooting team?  C&R license?

I'd go ahead and submit the application with a copy of your NC CHL.  If you have any other shooting related certs, submit copies of them.

I provided copies of my NY CHL, My pistol team ID and my 03FFL.  The clerk asked where my training cert was, I told her I had a NY CHL so I thought I'd be OK.  Got my VA CHL in 2 weeks!

I've got all the course materials form the NC course, it's pretty comprehensive.

I'm thinking that if we go down to the CH, have copies of the training certificates from the NC course (which we have), and our unexpired NC permits, we'll probably be good to go.

I'll report back later with the results...
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:30:45 AM EDT
[#9]
FWIW when I moved here from TN I called the courthouse in Richmond and they said no...you can not exchange your TN permit for a VA resident one.  I waited 2 weeks and then went into the clerk's office and they let me exchange my TN resident permit for a VA resident one.  Not sure why I got the run-around the first time.  I asked the clerk if I could carry on my TN resident permit while waiting for my VA permit to be issued (keeping in mind I had a VA DL at this time) and she stated that I could as long as my TN permit was still valid.  A quick call to the TN State Police confirmed my permit was still good.  My VA permit was issued 3 weeks later.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
FWIW when I moved here from TN I called the courthouse in Richmond and they said no...you can not exchange your TN permit for a VA resident one.  I waited 2 weeks and then went into the clerk's office and they let me exchange my TN resident permit for a VA resident one.  Not sure why I got the run-around the first time.  I asked the clerk if I could carry on my TN resident permit while waiting for my VA permit to be issued (keeping in mind I had a VA DL at this time) and she stated that I could as long as my TN permit was still valid.  A quick call to the TN State Police confirmed my permit was still good.  My VA permit was issued 3 weeks later.

Schweet!  That's what I like to hear.

Now, seeing as how the wife is still defacto living in NC (and doesn't have VA ID yet), what we mnight need to do is get her a VA nonresident and me a VA resident.

We're going to visit the courthouse week after next when we're both here for Christmas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top