Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2003 12:59:41 PM EDT
Seeing as if VT is VERY CCW friendly, I'd like to get some input from folks who have lived here far longer then my 5 months. My understanding is no "CCW permit" is  needed, I simply need a VT Drivers license, for which I have--

Coming from the DC area, I always wanted to CCW (lot's O crime in that area)  but getting a CCW in Maryland is next to impossible. Now that I am in VT, it is a different world, i.e., not much crime at all, especially violent.  With that, I almost feel like a fool CCW here in VT. since I am totally unskilled in the art of CCW, I am afraid some LIB ass wipe will see the print and freak OUT!  (I'll definitely need some lessons in the art of CCW)

In MD there were many times I wish I was CCW, however in VT (to-date) the only things that ever alarmed me was when I was walking my dog early AM and she started to bark at something.  I looked around but could not see anything.....Suddenly 3-4 deer  jumped out of the bushes/tree line and ran off....startled the hell out of me...man are they tough to see in the dense brush, even w/o leaves.

Anyway, am I being Naive to think nothing can/will happen to me in VT??

Thoughts...??
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I live across the border in NH. Yes, its pretty safe in our states. However, if you want to see some crack-hos and heroin freaks, go hang around in Rutland for a couple hours.

Its safe, but there are occassional violent crimes.  I carry all the time. Its likely that I'll never use it, but I'd rather have a chance than have no chance. We also get scumbags from down country moving through the area with the occassional armed stick up as a result.

There has been increased gang related drug trafficing up here in the last 10 years, basically because it was a previously untapped market.

Keep your sidearm and enjoy the northeast.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks DD, I live in Burlington, but I have heard of some issues in Rutland...

It's just so darn "greatful Dead" up hear I just do not feel threatened by anyone....but as I said, I may just be naive to what happens in Vermont.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
"grateful dead"! Ha! Excellent description. You live in granola land up there in B-town. Actually, I live in the woodstock, VT/Hanover, NH area and there are plenty of yoga-heads here too.

Don't be too lulled though. Every once in a while something hits the fan. A few years ago over in northern NH a survivalist dude went over the edge and killed a few people, had a firefight with LEOs, etc.

Besides, I think its pretty well known that everybody up here has firearms and many people carry. That reputation alone helps keep it as peaceful as it is.

I would recommend that you keep it well concealed. Flashing in public where you are could be a problem.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I've lived here all my life and I still feel as though I don't even have to carry.. but I do sometimes.. And plan to much more in the future.  The reason I don't a lot is because I live right on the Connecticut river and go over to NH often.. and I'm still not sure if I can get a permit over there at 19yrs old.. That's what I love about VT.. I can actually carry if I want to..

I'm more worried about rabid dogs and the 'odd pissed off moose/bear (hey I've encountered a big bull moose who wasn't too happy to see me.. LOL) than I am about 2 legged vermin though.. I feel bad for people that live in big cities with all the crime.. That would suck..
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife's family has been here since the Republic, me only for 25 years. I carry all the time and have for the 25 years. Do I feel threatened, no. I love to shoot and I always have a gun and ammo. My target stands live in the back of the truck. You will find that after a while it just feels normal.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry most of the time...have for the last 15yrs or so. It's not a real "threatening" state up here provide you don't go looking for trouble. Certain places in Burlington aren't really where I would want to be in the middle of the night...damn New York refugees taking over I guess

Welcome to Vt, Flatlander! LOL!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:14:56 AM EDT
[#7]
If you only use your CW once in your life to stop a crime protect you and yours or take out a racoon with rabies was it worth it????
The more you see someone carry a firearm into a store, bank,home the more people are used to the idea that it is an accepted and normal practice!!!
Very few years ago it alarmed nobody to see me walk into school with an over and under, store it in the coat room and leave after school to hunt partrige!!!!
Welcome to VT
BIG
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the feedback fellas.  OK, it will be wierd the first few times but I am going to do it. My goodness, I am 33 and feel like I'm 16 doing somthing wrong...I've been brain washed by the state of Maryland!!!

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:43:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, guys, we talked him into it!! Wait till he finds out what happens!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top