Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2007 7:15:09 AM EDT
I am considering a position about a half hour north of Burlington. Can anyone tell me about the area? I would prefer to get enough acres to put in a good sized garden. What are the folks, weather, gun ranges, etc like? Thanks for any information
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 10:41:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By biteme3m:
I am considering a position about a half hour north of Burlington. Can anyone tell me about the area? I would prefer to get enough acres to put in a good sized garden. What are the folks, weather, gun ranges, etc like? Thanks for any information

Well, there are gun ranges north of Burlington, at least one really decent one, in St Albans. As to the rest, what you will think depends on exactly where you live in PA. Land isn't overly cheap, but, depends on how far you're willing to commute.

I work just north of Burlington (Colchester), grew up in the same area. I do live about a little under an hour south of Burlington, in Bristol. I've spent a modest amount of time in the "Endless Mountain" portion of PA (Wyalusing and Wysox), and it isn't much different here than there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 2:11:43 PM EDT
burlington is the most evil place in VT by far I absolutely hate it here. then again if you drive 20/30 minutes in any direction it is good old VT again
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 7:37:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wesmerc:
burlington is the most evil place in VT by far I absolutely hate it here. then again if you drive 20/30 minutes in any direction it is good old VT again

lol. you ever been to brattleboro?
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 4:36:11 AM EDT
What do you mean by evil?

I currently live in SE PA outside Philly. St. Albans is the area I am considering, but may have to look a bit further away from there in order to find a suitable piece of property. I'd like to get a small hobby farm to run.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 5:43:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By biteme3m:
What do you mean by evil?

I currently live in SE PA outside Philly. St. Albans is the area I am considering, but may have to look a bit further away from there in order to find a suitable piece of property. I'd like to get a small hobby farm to run.

St Albans is fine. You could get a hobby farm not far from there. The club I was referring to is on the road out to St Albans Bay (VT 36, IIRC). The club is a few miles past the bay. Doesn't look like much, but it isn't bad. I know a few of the Skeet Shooters there.

The locals call it "Snalbans" when they speak.

Burlington is "evil" because it is infested with Lib-Tards and Granola-Cruchies (kind of a mini-Southern Kalifornia). Real Vermonters refuse to live there. You only need to go to the next community to leave most of that behind.

OK, I know the Philly area, my mother lived there (actually Woodbury Hts, NJ) for quite a few years after she and my father divorced (he got custody, I grew up in Milton, VT)), and I did Boot Camp at Ft Dix.

And, VT is a thriving state firearms wise, and we've got an Appleseed program running already.

There's several good shops to buy from, you can find the info here, or PM me or some of the other locals.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 12:59:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2007 1:03:34 PM EDT by Soviet]
haha, "Real Vermonters" cant afford to live in Burlington.
Rightly so, that is a god forsaken place. I only venture into that town unless I cant find what I need elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 1:05:44 PM EDT
3M,

My wife and I moved up here 5 years ago from central PA.
I grew up in VT, but she is from PA.
More elbow room and less rat race.
We are much happier up here.
Find a spot without too many neighbors and set up your own range.
Look for something bordering a large farm.
We have a spot adjacent to (2) 100+ acre farms w/ (2) neighbors 200 yds away.
They don't mind our shooting. (well maybe the steel silouettes)
Find a road that's part of the school bus route and it will be plowed regularly.
Happy searching.

sk
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 6:16:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:07:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By djsmiles:

Originally Posted By wesmerc:

lol. you ever been to brattleboro?

Brattleboro is full of Granolas.... but they leave you alone and are decent to get along with. Burlington politics is run by a bunch of libtard transplants that want to make it their own little utopia.

Even 20 minutes driving will get you out of that foolishness.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 8:12:04 AM EDT
Sounds good so far. I'll have to wait and see if I get offered the job. The cold shouldn't be a problem. Spent 10 years in Minnesota. Wish I kept my ice fishing house, drill and rigs. How bad are the property taxes up there? The income tax seems pretty high from what I am used to.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 5:09:57 PM EDT
Income taxes are fairly high,,,, property taxes depend on the town.

Unfortunatly you are looking at the one area in the state I dont know a whole lot about.

But keep the questions comming!

If I moved from here it would be to northern Maine.... Montana, or Alaska,,,, if that helps at all.

Its not the best, but its not bad either.

What do you do for work?
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 3:34:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By blackhawkhunter:
Income taxes are fairly high,,,, property taxes depend on the town.

Unfortunatly you are looking at the one area in the state I dont know a whole lot about.

But keep the questions comming!

If I moved from here it would be to northern Maine.... Montana, or Alaska,,,, if that helps at all.

Its not the best, but its not bad either.

What do you do for work?

Pharmaceutical management
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 10:40:54 PM EDT
I lived in Vermont for several years while I went to college.

The liberal politic thing is pretty overblown. Yes, there are a lot of hippies in the state. Most are the older, burned out type who are happy to hang out on their hilltop growing organic weed, making granola and keeping the old subaru running. No one is out to take away your guns or ban hunting. Most of them are as worried about the government taking their precious weed as you are about the government taking your guns. By and large, there isn't any great political strife between conservative and liberal Vermonters. The big exception of course being the whole civil union thing. And public nudity. Did I mention there is a lot of weed in the state?

Burlington is a beautiful city with a lot to offer (and not just weed). It's not exactly a conservative area, but no one will mess with your life or tell you what to do. If you can deal with some anti-bush bumper stickers, you'll survive. Although there probably aren't many places you can go in the country and not find anti-bush stickers.

-Local
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 11:22:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2007 11:53:16 AM EDT by Soviet]
Too true, most everyone here is anti-bush.

The good weed comes from the central vermont area, so I hear.

The only problem with Vermont is the Mass-holes that come up here with their vacation homes and try to change things. Quite a few shooting ranges have been shut down due to them moving in and wanting a slice of their commie homeland.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 7:12:41 PM EDT
There's no rules against shooting on your own land, are there?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:54:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gmountain:

As long as you have a suitable backstop and dont shoot past 10pm you are good to go.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 11:27:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gmountain:

Some towns may have restrictions about a minimum distance to other houses. It's usually 300 feet.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:32:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Local:

The liberal politic thing is pretty overblown. Yes, there are a lot of hippies in the state. Most are the older, burned out type who are happy to hang out on their hilltop growing organic weed, making granola and keeping the old subaru running. No one is out to take away your guns or ban hunting. Most of them are as worried about the government taking their precious weed as you are about the government taking your guns. By and large, there isn't any great political strife between conservative and liberal Vermonters. The big exception of course being the whole civil union thing. And public nudity. Did I mention there is a lot of weed in the state?

Burlington is a beautiful city with a lot to offer (and not just weed). It's not exactly a conservative area, but no one will mess with your life or tell you what to do. If you can deal with some anti-bush bumper stickers, you'll survive. Although there probably aren't many places you can go in the country and not find anti-bush stickers.

-Local

That about sums it up.

If you like winter sports, you'll love it. If you like a wild nightlife and not having to bundle up like an eskimo for six months out of the year, you'll hate it.
Top Top