Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 12:27:44 PM EDT
Been awhile since I have purchased a vehicle. Say I buy a used vehicle from a private party, and they record that the sale was made for $1,000 on the title transfer form that is attached to the title, or makes up a receipt that says the same. When I go to the DMV to transfer the title am I taxed on the value of the sale or do they come up with some sort of "fair market value" to base the tax on?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, it used to be based on the purchase price but so many people got their cars for $1 that they changed it to a FMV type of structure.  Been several years though so YMMV
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#3]
There is an additional form that the seller can sign stating why the sales price of the vehicle is lower than the fair market value, usually damage, high miles, etc.  Don't be a stooge, step up and pay the tax.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Or if it was from a family member, its free for 1 transfer. I have had that form filled out by the seller once before. They tried to charge me taxes on an 11K truck that I actually paid 7K for. I refused to pay the tax. they got a few of their supervisors overthere prety quick. I was being a bit demanded.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Last two transfers I have done were a free camper off CL. No problem there.

The next one was a motorcycle and they accepted the sale amount from the bill of sale.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Just bought a car yesterday. Seller put on the title that it was a "gift". Title transfer cost us $25

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There is an additional form that the seller can sign stating why the sales price of the vehicle is lower than the fair market value, usually damage, high miles, etc.  Don't be a stooge, step up and pay the tax.

Your kidding right? Everytime I bought a used private party car in WA I've been told the FMV of the vehicle is nearly twice what I paid. This was especially annoying when I had bought a truck from the State at auction. The state uses the "high retail value" it seems to assess the sales tax regardless of what you actually paid or the actual market value, i.e. what shit sells for , not what KBB.org says they should.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife worked for the DOL, this issue is the #1 complaint. Just remember not to kill the messenger. The Gals and Guys behind the counter don't make the rules and probably hate it worse than you. If you are civil most likely they will explain a way to get the true value in the transaction.

If you act like a asshole they will not. AND I DON'T BLAME THEM.

The pol's in Oly are the one's that should feel your wrath. JMHO
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your kidding right? Everytime I bought a used private party car in WA I've been told the FMV of the vehicle is nearly twice what I paid. This was especially annoying when I had bought a truck from the State at auction. The state uses the "high retail value" it seems to assess the sales tax regardless of what you actually paid or the actual market value, i.e. what shit sells for , not what KBB.org says they should.

No, I am not kidding.  Perfectly legal and proper way to take care of the transaction, if you did indeed pay $7M for an $11M truck..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top