Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 12:10:18 PM EDT
Do any of you NYS guys know what the policy is regarding hunting small game (woodchucks, etc..) with an AR on private or state property is in the New Paltz/lower Catskills area?

My buddy goes out woodchuck shooting every now and then and will soon being inviting me. Do I need some sort of hunting license since I'm a NJ resident. We are shooting pests...not trophy animals. I would be using an AR.

Thanks

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you have to have a non resident hunting license. Here's the DEC site. www.dec.state.ny.us/website/site/services.html The rest of the info on types of firearms I can't figure out. I looked but it's always comfusing when reading them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks...you are right, that is totally confusing. At least I could figure out that I shouldn't use a crossbow. WTF? Are we in 1312? Who uses a friggin crossbow.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:25:45 AM EDT
[#3]
As previously posted you do need a non-resident hunting license.  There are other restrictions also:  such as on the number of rounds the magazine can hold, no loaded long guns in a motor vehicle (includes boats and ATV's btw);  the state game laws are a minefield for the unwary.  Make sure you read the regs before you go out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top