Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 12:10:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2005 12:10:49 PM EDT by vadge]
Do any of you NYS guys know what the policy is regarding hunting small game (woodchucks, etc..) with an AR on private or state property is in the New Paltz/lower Catskills area?

My buddy goes out woodchuck shooting every now and then and will soon being inviting me. Do I need some sort of hunting license since I'm a NJ resident. We are shooting pests...not trophy animals. I would be using an AR.


Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:40:19 PM EDT
Yes, you have to have a non resident hunting license. Here's the DEC site. www.dec.state.ny.us/website/site/services.html The rest of the info on types of firearms I can't figure out. I looked but it's always comfusing when reading them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:57:46 PM EDT
Thanks...you are right, that is totally confusing. At least I could figure out that I shouldn't use a crossbow. WTF? Are we in 1312? Who uses a friggin crossbow.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:25:45 AM EDT
As previously posted you do need a non-resident hunting license. There are other restrictions also: such as on the number of rounds the magazine can hold, no loaded long guns in a motor vehicle (includes boats and ATV's btw); the state game laws are a minefield for the unwary. Make sure you read the regs before you go out.
Top Top