Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 8:26:57 PM EDT
Looking at vacationing with my 13YOA daughter the last week of September.  

Don't wanna fly.  

Don't wanna go more than a 5hr from the north side.  

Outdoors type stuff, though I'd consider anything.  

Don't have to stay in one place.  

As of right now, was thinking of going to Ichetucknee Springs for a couple days, then driving over to Tybee Island for the rest of the week.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Don't wanna fly.  
View Quote

Why not?

Area up around Boone, NC is nice that time of year.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Southern Cross Guest Ranch is a bed and breakfast with horses about 7 miles south of Madison. Great accommodations, wonderful food, first class horses, and Inga, the owner, is fabulous people. If your daughter likes horses at all, you won't be sorry!

And, it's only about 5 miles from the Angry Emu Range. Who could ask for more???
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#3]
She's going to start working with horses soon.  I'm signing her up as a volunteer at McKenna Farms, in addition to lessons at the same place.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
depending on your travel speed destin is within range

cabins aplenty in blue ridge

me personally I'd visit some family I haven't seen in a while in Jacksonville
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She's going to start working with horses soon.  I'm signing her up as a volunteer at McKenna Farms, in addition to lessons at the same place.
View Quote

Do her a favor and make sure she learns to ride English. Anyone who can ride English, can ride Western. Few who ride Western, can ride English properly. The difference is night and day! Don't handicap her by letting her learn Western first.....
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:17:11 AM EDT
[#6]
That will be up to her Instructor and what they teach there.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:02:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Learn to scuba dive together in Pensacola
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:19:33 AM EDT
[#8]
That would be nice.  I'm PADI-certified from way back, but can't dive anymore due to ENT problems, mostly from injuries.   On some days I can't even get to the bottom of a 10' foot pool.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:21:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Came up with Wakulla Springs, also.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:45:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Charlestown, SC is still very nice that time of year. Lots of history. The drawback is their lack of reciprocity, but I don't know if that would affect you. Folly Beach is there and will be very empty by then if you want to surf fish, etc. You can rent a house on the beach.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:04:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Charleston wouldn't be bad.   I haven't been there since high school.

No, reciprocity doesn't pertain to me........
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Blue Ride, GA is fantastic.  You can do some hiking on the Appalachian train around there, and there are some great waterfalls off the trails up there.   The downtown area is much bigger than it was 10 years ago, and there are dozens of great restaurants and shops.   They also have a train ride that starts from there and takes you through the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Nashville meets your requirements as does a lot of Tennessee
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No, reciprocity doesn't pertain to me........
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#15]
If you are looking for a close to nature/ natural/ old time farm experience, look at a cabin in Enota. Inexpensive and a lot of fun. My 13 and 15 year old daughters love going up there. It's about 30 minutes north of Helen.
5 Hours? Hell - Folley Beach, SC was fun. Nashville was fun...lots of places within 5 hours' drive.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The drawback is their lack of reciprocity...
View Quote

Yeah, the douchebaggery is strong with the SC regime...bastawds!
Folly Beach is great! Love going there. It will be nearly abandoned in September too. Great weather that time of the year and still warm enough to swim if you want.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Southern Cross Guest Ranch is a bed and breakfast with horses about 7 miles south of Madison. Great accommodations, wonderful food, first class horses, and Inga, the owner, is fabulous people. If your daughter likes horses at all, you won't be sorry!

And, it's only about 5 miles from the Angry Emu Range. Who could ask for more???
View Quote

Thanks...this looks like a great place.  I will take the daughter there next chance I get.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#18]
More good suggestions.  Thanks.  

We go to Chattanooga quite often, but not Nashville.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks...this looks like a great place.  I will take the daughter there next chance I get.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really is a wonderful relaxing place to visit. I'm sure youll enjoy yourselves if you decide to come out.

If you do make the trip, be sure to stop in and say hi to a fellow ARFcommer at Steve's Place in downtown Madison, and if you care to do some shooting while you are there, the Angry Emu Range is just around the corner.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Might be a little too early for Cumberland Island... I don't like lyme disease carrying deer ticks
Okefenokee is a couple hours from Savannah if you end up in that area
State Parks

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Based on my recent road trip with kids that age, I'd suggest St. Augustine and then work your way north, visiting Jacksonville, Amelia Island, St. Simons Island, and Savannah as time allows.  The most popular activities turned out to be National Monuments (like old forts), Museums, eating out, and most of all the hotel swimming pool.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
More good suggestions.  Thanks.  

We go to Chattanooga quite often, but not Nashville.
View Quote

With all of the gang shootings in Chattanooga in the last two weeks (10+ dead??) you and the daughter could drive up and get some good target practice!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#23]
That shit never happens in my vicinity.........
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Maybe go to Tennessee and take a class from the Yeagermeister ! You and your daughter will learn how to set up your load out gear, how to keep your booger hook off the bang switch on your smoke pole.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Maybe go to Tennessee and take a class from the Yeagermeister ! You and your daughter will learn how to set up your load out gear, how to keep your booger hook off the bang switch on your smoke pole.
View Quote

hahahahaha I need a new keyboard!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I gotta figger out which handgun I don't mind having kicked around the range.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit. I bet his daughter knows more about getting shit done than anybody's here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Get my brother to loan you his Star, or that 2800 Norinco.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No shit. I bet his daughter knows more about getting shit done than anybody's here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha! At least they won't have to "danger up" dey already dangeroooos!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HK P7 of course.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Just my .02 cents worth, Nashville isn't too bad, but just doesn't seem like there is as much to do for younger people, resturants and Live music.  Blue Ridge is nice, cabin rentals, the orchards are up there, plus there is some day trip, by train, that goes into Tn.   Piegon Forge is good, "The Island" has a Ferris Wheel, and plenty of shopping, and lots of shows, and some riding stables. Best Western has a non active duty WM working the desk.
    Took the wife and daughter to Asheville, NC about a month ago. There is a few things to do, pinball museum, $13 and you can play all day. We went to "Chimeny Rock", you would have to check that out. Biltmore Estate is there also, but we didn't go there. The is a small animal park there that was good.

Charleston,SC is nice, the USS Yorktown is there, that is great, Plus there is a submarine, and I think the other is a frigate or destory.  And Fort Sumter.

Semper Fi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top