Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2007 4:55:34 PM EDT
Hello one and all,

Planning a vacation for the month of July and the Wifey and kids have told me “We’re going back to the mountains! !”  Smokey Mountains , that is.

This will be our fourth trip to your fine state, and needless to say, I’m not at all disappointed that we’re heading back.  We’ve ALWAYS had a fun time.

Three adults and two older teenagers on this trip.  In the past we’ve stayed at a condo in Pigeon Forge.  But . . . . this time Wifey said “let’s check out a cabin – in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area”.  Daughter says “it must have a pool  ! “

So . . . can anyone offer any advise on a cabin in this area ? ?  Any place we should avoid ? ?

Other suggestions greatly appreciated .

Thanks  ! !

Link Posted: 4/15/2007 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#1]
just make sure the cabin is accessable.my sis in law rented one and the road up to it was so steep i couldn't bnelieve it.I had a new car, i made it to the first turn around and went back down...so steep i could not let off the brakes.not for a second!my new brakes were hot halfway down, i stopped and let them cool, then got back down and foind an expensive hotel in pigeon forge.but not as expensive as a new transmission, there was a van halfway up broke down with tranny fluid running back down the road!
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#2]
If you dont eat at the Peddler in Gatlinburg you just drove from Ohio for nuttin-get there early
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Good places to eat- Greenbriar (hard to find but worth it), Calhoun's, and The Brewery.
Try breakfast at the Mtn Lodge and lunch at Parton's Deli.
It's going to be hard to find a chalet with a pool but many have hot tubs.
Places to see- Smokey Mtn Knifeworks in Sevierville. Also in Sevierville is a great indoor range(Sevier Indoor Range).
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 1:57:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Try here:

www.chaletvillage.com/index.html

Individual chalets will not have pools but there are clubhouses which have pools and a few of the chalets will be clustered nearby.  Just request one near a pool.

www.chaletvillage.com/club.html

Some good Smokies hikes:

Andrews Bald: 3.6 miles round trip, mild to moderate.   Starts at the
Clingman's Dome parking lot.  The Bald has a spectacular panoramic
view.

Charlies Bunion:  8 miles round trip, moderate.  Starts at Newfound
Gap.  Another spectacular view at the Bunion.  If you go, you'll also
pass a turnoff for the Sweat Heifer Creek Trail (there will be a sign).
Just a few hundred feet down this trail opens up to another great
view.

Chimney Tops:  4 miles round trip, strenuous.  Trailhead is on the
right about halfway between Gatlinburg and Newfound Gap.  This one's a
buttkicker as it seems like you're going straight up, but you're
rewarded by bagging this peak and the awesome views from the top.

Low Gap trail to Appalachian Trail to Mt. Cammerer:  Trailhead begins
in the Cosby campground.  10.4 miles round trip, moderate+.  Huge
hemlocks along Low Gap.  The trail ends at the stone firetower atop Mt.
Cammerer.  Very dramatic views from the top.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top