Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2003 3:35:01 PM EDT
As posted on subguns.  subguns.biggerhammer.net/events.cgi?read=889

As always a non sponscered non orginized event, just an invatition to come out and play. Saturday October 25th, load up your belts and mags and bring your MG's up to Hite Hollow for a day of MG shooting fun. Hope to see you there!
Mike @ TSC CO. 804-994-5478
The Hite Hollow Shooting Range is located near Augusta Spring. The range is open from sunrise to sunset every day for firing rifles, pistols, and shotguns at stationary targets. Moving targets such as clay pigeons, and bottle shooting are prohibited. From Staunton, take SR 254 west to Buffalo Gap. Take SR 42 south about 8 miles to Augusta Springs. Take SR 845 about a half mile to FDR 82 and follow this road about 1 mile to the range.

---

Earlier this year we had 2 1919's, a M37 (basically a 1919), Just about every full auto HK around, M16's galore, Uzi's, AM180's, FNC, etc.  

Can't wait.
Here is a photo from the spring event
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never shot any FA but I've been thinking about taking the plunge and would like a chance to try some out.

What's the protocol?  Talk to people and if they offer to let me shoot have ammo ready?  Are people pretty open about allowing others to shoot? It would only seem fair to at least pay or offer my own ammo.  I just don't want to show up and seem like a freeloader...

I'll definitely bring some of my semi-auto stuff in case there is any interest in my pedestrian weaponry.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#2]
It is usually the same people who go to these shoots so I know most of the guys pretty well.  Just about any of them will probably let you try their guns for nothing.  That is, as long as you don't mooch all day long.    I usually don't like people saying can I shoot that, can I shoot that etc.  But if someone talks to me and they seem interested, I'd gladly let someone try out one of my guns.  I'm sure most everybody else is the same way.  One guy makes it his mission to see people happily shoot his guns all day long.

How else can you infect others with the disease if they don't get to shoot FA weapons.

Btw, anyone coming bring targets (steel, vaccumn's etc.)
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've never shot any FA but I've been thinking about taking the plunge and would like a chance to try some out.

Caution: You are about to enter a domain for which there is no return.

But seriously, if you have not been out to a shoot you have to get out.  Lots of neat guns and nice people.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 5:05:02 AM EDT
[#4]
ill be there with friggin bells on!!

i live in staunton so hite hollow is my normal range i go every other sat.

BTW ive never shot a FA before.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:21:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I am one of the regulars at the hite hollow shoot and you are more than welcome to come,if you want to shoot a full auto colt m-4 let me know,I will also be bringing my BARRETT M82A1 50 CAL. hope to see you there.JASON IN VA 757 715-4689
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 4:15:28 AM EDT
[#6]
GREAT!
thanks for the offer id love to.  i can pay you in ammo or cash which ever is better you want.

ill bring my AR and my FAL-both semi auto
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#7]
don't worry david, you won't be the only FA wannabe.  i'll bring some SA stuff too.

i just start saving for my first FA but as yet am undecided what it's going to be.  but i'm leaning towards an M16 RDIAS.  alot more research to do - and :-( plenty of time to do it while i save up.

Link Posted: 9/9/2003 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I will be selling ammo at the range. $170 for 1000rds of LAKE CITY XM193 55GR AMMO. if you need any let me know .jason in va
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#9]
How far is Hite Hollow from NoVA?  I can't make the Black Rifle Day...too broke for ammo, and got a Penthouse in Bethany Beach for FREE that weekend lol...but I'd like to get out at least once this year with some ARFCOM brothers...
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How far is Hite Hollow from NoVA?  I can't make the Black Rifle Day...too broke for ammo, and got a Penthouse in Bethany Beach for FREE that weekend lol...but I'd like to get out at least once this year with some ARFCOM brothers...

Fenian, it is around 3 hours from here to there.  Usually 2 hours to Harrisonburg and another hour to the range.    

I'm not heading down to the Black Rifle shoot either, no Full Auto.  Guess I've turned into a FA snob.  rofl.  Anyway,  I can't wait for this shoot, it is gonna rock.

Btw, anyone with STEEL plates, or some sort of Targets, please bring them!!!

Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone interested in buying some steel targets with me?  They are gonna be about $70, but they are the same stuff that the big boys use for rifle targets.

500 Brindell steel.....

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 12:12:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I will be bringing my barrett m82a1 with me,can I shoot at the plates? [ha ha ha] I will be bringing a steel plate that is 3 inches thick and the size of a small car tire. if anyone is interested I will be bringing extra cases of TANNERITE to the range to sell. contact me if you need ammo [$170 per thousand fed m-193 ball].[ [email protected]   JASON IN VA 757 715-4689
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 4:22:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Definitely getting the steel....it's 3/8" thick.  I am going to make up some gongs and see how they sell.  Kinda of like the "Beast Gongs" but ghetto, and cheaper, and harder steel from what I understand.

This stuff I am getting will supposedly stand up to 300WM, 375H&H, 338 Ultra, etc.....not sure it will handle a .50 but we'll find out....
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:40:20 AM EDT
[#14]
What kinda steel do you guys want?  My mother in law owns a scrap metal business in Staunton.  I can see what I can get and what it'll cost, if anything for the favorite son in law.  I've got nothing to shoot but would love to just be around the smell of burning powder and clanging targets.  Let me know and I'll see what I can get for you guys.  I'll be coming down for this.  Gotta get the schedule cleared.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:44:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Got to get something other than mild steel.

Manhole covers?  Blades from bulldozers?  Square tool grade steel?

Mild steel will just get holes, quickly.

Some stainless steel that is thicker than 1/4" will stand up to subguns...7.62NATO zips right through.

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:53:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Anyone want to carpool from NOVA , I am willing to drive, but can only fit one more in the Mustang.

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:56:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Got the M-I-L holding manhole covers.  When I go down to Staunton next time I will shop the yard and see what other goodies I can get.

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#18]
guys,

i was just at hite hollow on sunday and there was a sign up that said the state is threatening to close the range due to repeated vandalism.

some dickhead shot the shit out of the outhouse and shot holes in the roof where the benches are.

the ranger was there and he said it cost $80,000 to put in that outhouse and the state will NOT  spend any more money on the range if this keeps up.  the range is just an expense and im sure there are at least a few politicians that wouldnt mind seeing the bill for it go away.

if any of you guys are ever there and see anything suspicious call the staunton dept of forestry and report the bastards!

hite hollow is only 20 mins form my house and really the only NICE  place i have to shoot.  besides trekking through a 1/4 mile of cow shit at my mother in laws.  if they had to close this range id be forced to go vigilante on somebody...
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#19]
They've been vandalized before, they say the same thing every time we are there.  To be honest, it's probably locals -- as are most problems at outdoor public ranges.

Guess camera's will be next....
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Vandal bastards.  I have a business card from  a ranger who was at our last shoot.  I'll email him and ask him about that.

Also,  remember there is a place for donations there.  I don't see many people taking a few dollars out of their wallets and helping out.

Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:44:48 AM EDT
[#21]
If the place is being vandalized I would not want to put my money in some box out there. Ask where we can send donations possibly.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#22]
ive never seen a donation box.
guess i missed it.
wheres it at?
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Its a brown steel tube sticking out of the ground next the board with the range regulations on it.  In the picture 7 posted the Realtor sign is leaning up against it.

We need to remember to inform the ranger when the shoot will be.  As long as he is there for every shoot they know that we are not the ones doing damage to the range.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#24]
thanks for letting me know abotu the tube.
ill have to put a 20 spot or something in there next time i go to catch myself up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I just got a email back from the Ranger I emailed about Vandals.  Below is his reply to me.

Robert,
Since the last mg shoot all of the range structures have been shot up on at
least two occasions.  Local outlaws find the facility an easy target (no
pun intended) for their after hours mayhem.  We presently do not have a way
to open and close the gate to the range on a daily basis in a timely
manner.
Notices have been posted at the range that state it  will be closed
permanently if the vandalism continues. It also asks for help in
apprehending the bastards who are doing the damage, so far all leads have
gone nowhere.  And,  damage is not limited to bullet holes/strikes, someone
took a sledge hammer to the concrete johnny house!
As manager of the facility, I will personally make it a point to have the
range open on the 25th for you guys in the event the range is closed in the
interim.
Thanks for the heads-up.
LNR

(Embedded image      Larry N. Rogers Timber Sale Administrator              
moved to file:       George Washington & Jefferson NFs, Deerfield RD        
pic23696.gif)        Lotus Notes: Larry N Rogers/R8/USDAFS@FSNOTES        
                     Email: [email protected]                            
                     Voice: 540/885-8028                                  
                     Fax: 540/885-7726                                    
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#26]
God Damn, I'm F'n pissed off.  This is my 'local' range (3 hour drive each way) for shooting NFA weapons.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I think that manhole covers will work,grywlf52 if you can get some metal that is 2-3 inches thick I will let you fire off a couple of mags out of my barrett.also I think if they catch the vandals they should be made to hold the 4-8 case of TANNERITE I will be bringing . also if you want some brought up there email me ,I get it at a nice price. email me at [email protected].

Link Posted: 9/26/2003 4:33:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Taking sledge hammers to it ??

This is probably me being way too paranoid, but could the intent be by the vandals to have the range closed ? Maybe some anti-gunners ? Enviromentalists ?
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:24:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I think that manhole covers will work,grywlf52 if you can get some metal that is 2-3 inches thick I will let you fire off a couple of mags out of my barrett.

I'll take a look and see what I can do.  Depending on my truck, I may need some help picking up this stuff.  I have a leak in the heater core that I am trying to get fixed.  Small leak and hoping that Stop Leak will take care of it.  Can't afford to take it to the shop.  

Also, do you guys have a problem with me taking all of the "scrap" back to my M-I-L as she is basically giving me the targets?
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#30]
grywlf,

if you drive down here ill drive to your M I L's and to hite hollow.  i drive an old buick with a soprano sized trunk.  manhole covers and stuff should be no prob.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Could be - when we tried to get the regs changed to allow open carry in parks some parks employees were caught red-handed helping the anti-gunners.

I can't think on reason why someone would try damage an outhouse unless they were making a statement against the facility.

Perhaps someone should rig up one of those camera rigs used to take pictures on game trails?

Quoted:
Taking sledge hammers to it ??

This is probably me being way too paranoid, but could the intent be by the vandals to have the range closed ? Maybe some anti-gunners ? Enviromentalists ?

Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I shoot at the range frequently and the signs have been up a while. The damage from my observation is the result of vandals, not the anti-gun crowd. You guys know the area is isolated and an easy target for "macho stuff" from folks with nothing better to do and nowhere to go.
There are always bullet holes in the shelter roof needing patched and the Ranger seems to accept this type of damage and caulks or covers the holes.
Several years ago somone took a stolen truck and drove it through the benches on the pistol range and the facility was closed during the investigation and rebuilding.
I appreciate what the Ranger(Larry Rogers) has done. He has added the new benches, shelters and the toliet facility(which truly looks like a gov't project). Before these additions there was no vandalism as there was nothing to damage.
A letter or phone contact with the Rangers HQ would show responsible people care and do not want to see the range closed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:37:19 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
grywlf,

if you drive down here ill drive to your M I L's and to hite hollow.  i drive an old buick with a soprano sized trunk.  manhole covers and stuff should be no prob.

Truck has almost full stopped leaking.  Never does it while it is running.  The pressure builds up when I shut it off and then it will now dribble a few drops.  By the time the shoot comes, it should be fixed.  I mixed up the shoot dates and was thinking about the one on the 27th being the Hite Hollow.  

I may need your help though depending on the number of targets I can come up with.  I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't forget about the Halloween targets which will be prevalent come Oct 25th.  I'm going to see if I can pickup a few pumpkins for a tannerite cake.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:04:55 AM EDT
[#35]
I talked to the M I L last night, and so far no manhole covers have come in.  They are getting a shipment in of some other stuff this week.  I will be in town the afternoon of the 24th and will scout the yard for some good targets if no covers show up.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I too will have .223,5.56x45 Olympic SS109 62grain penetrator core ammo for sale at the shoot.  

$180 per case of 1000 or $9 a box of 50.

If anyone is interested in large quanities of this stuff drop me an email before this Saturday, I will deliever it by the case to the shoot.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm not an FA guy (can't afford it, but I got perms from the wife to go out shooting that weekend so I'll be there with my freshly build M4gery and my Savage 12FV. I'm driving down from Fairfax, so if anyone doesn't mind being stuck in a car with a chain smoker, I'd be happy to give people rides. Just get in touch with me by email ([email protected]).
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 1:28:58 AM EDT
[#38]
the place is almost 200 miles from my house.  man, that is really not cool.

does anyone doing any shoot at chicahomany; it is 120 miles from my house.  i go there now because it is the closest public range i know of.  i live in liberal land in northern virginia.  there is a gun club 5 miles from my house.  i think they must not like to promote the sport of shooting because they charge people land stock along with membership fee.  including the initiation fee, the first year fee will be enough to buy 2 saiga hunting rifle.  right now, i got to pay 16 bucks for gas to drive to the range.  i hate that.  it is quite discouring if you ask me.  i can't find no one here wanting to carpool up there.  everyone is like "that is far.  i don't know.  may be"  i am trying to be a good sport and offer non gunner to shoot my ak47 semi.  but they want me to find a range within 20 miles from their house and come pick them up, pay for the ammo, and all that bs.  i was like "yeah."

there is a guy that knows some people with land that i can shoot my revolver.  it is a farm land, so i don't think it is cool to have casings flying all over the place and i'll be damn if i have to search through high grass to get all wolf casings from the ground.  it is still cool, if the guy has his own guns instead of just shooitn my guns.  i don't think it is cool to shoot someone gun, using their ammo, and leave them cleaning the mess (guns and stuffs).  

so, if someone want to start a informal shooting club where no fee and bs include, please let me know.  i am cool with folks using my guns.  i let people at chicahomany shoot my ak47  sometime and do offer them ammo.  there are a few moochers in this world though, so i have been cuttng back on that generosity.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 2:04:25 AM EDT
[#39]
can i catch a ride with someone?  i don't think my car can make it that far.  :<(  i have been spending more time and money on guns than on the car.  i am sure you know what i mean.  it is all degoff's fault for selling me that mak90.  i am now akaholic.  i even name it asianthug47.

i live in king george.  it is about 30 miles south east of fredericksburg.  i can meet folks at the mall there to make it easy on yall.  of course, my guns are friendly so folks can shoot them.  just be careful with the taurus, she kicks like a bull.

i have never fired a full auto before.  of coures, i have enough ak ammo if i am lucky enough to get an offer to fire.  i wish i knew about this event sooner, i could have gotten more ammo for different calibers at the show in richmond.  if anyone got a decent price on ammo, i am willing to pay so i can shoot.  i got a brand new sks needing a break in.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:33:53 AM EDT
[#40]
what time are you guys getting out there?
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:41:09 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm going down to Roanoke Friday night to pick up my truck at the future in-laws.  Will head to the range on Saturday AM.  What time is the first group getting there?

7.....are you bringing the .50?

Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#42]
7 ALWAYS brings the .50.  Damn thing attracts more attention than the 1919. We usually get there around 9:30-10, most people start rolling in around 11.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#43]
how much is the bullet for .50 cost?  is that gun the one costing 7k bucks?  some of you guys are super lucky.  i am saving money for a house now. i need my own place if i am going to have anymor guns.  landlord is liberals, so it is a bitch keeping just the mandatory 2 guns maxium at the place.  the rest is somewhere else.

Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Am I bringing the .50?  

I'm planning on leaving around 6am for a 9am arrival.  I'm bringing my sun shade and might setup to the left of the covered shooting.  That will leave that area open for others.  

A .50 bullet costs anywhere from 1.25 to 3 dollars depending on how many you buy and what type.

7k, well some 50's do cost that much but you can easily buy one for a lot less.  An AR50 is under 3k.

Be sure to bring some pumpkins if you get a chance.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#45]
ok.

can anyone give me the address of the place so i can map it out.  i have never been there.

thanks
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
ok.

can anyone give me the address of the place so i can map it out.  i have never been there.

thanks

Look on the first post of page 1 and it gives you directions.  Here is a mapquest of Augusta Springs which is the closest town to the shoot.

Click Here
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#47]
i know how to get to augusta spring, but i can't tell how to get to the exact range location.  have never been there, only heard of it for the first time from you guys.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#48]
i know how to get to augusta spring, but i can't tell how to get to the exact range location.  have never been there, only heard of it for the first time from you guys.  

is it controlled by va wildlife managment?
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Sheesh man, read.    From the first post.  Take SR 845 about a half mile to FDR 82 and follow this road about 1 mile to the range.

That is all there is from the directions that is all you should need.    Or you could roll down your window and listen for gunfire.

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#50]
grywlf and i shuld be getting there around 9:00ish.

i have alot of plastic jugs i usually fill w/ h2o to shoot at. i usally put small ones at the 50 like 20oz ckes, and gatorades at the 100 and milk jugs and apple juice containers at the 150.
i just make sure to pick them up after and i think its cool...at least i was shooting at one when a ranger showed up and he never said anything about it.    

after hearing more and more about other people having trouble w/ range nazis, i have really grown to love this little range.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top