Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2012 10:40:19 AM EDT
I'm filling out the application and I got a DUI in 84-85. I down loaded my driving records from the DMV and it's not on my record. So I called and they couldn't find it either my record is clean. They said in 89 and before everything was ex-sponged while everything after stays on your record permanently.

The question on the form;
Have you ever been convicted of an offence involving the use of alcohol....yes or no
If yes attach documentation explaining your answer

What should I do here?
I don't even know the date this happened anymore.

Thanks Dave
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#1]
add a piece of paper written with what happened.  IE; "In 1984, or 1985, I do not remember exact dates, I received a citation for driving under the influence. Penalty was a fine, which I paid.  I tried to look up official records of this incident, but the citation was too old and is not avaialbe anymore.  If there are further questions, please contact me at 414-555-8787"

I have 2 misdemeanors, did the above, and got my permit no problem.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Have you ever been convicted of an offence involving the use of alcohol....yes or no

Seems pretty straight forward. You have been convicted of an offense involving the use of alcohol, so yes. Saying no would be a lie.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems pretty straight forward. You have been convicted of an offense involving the use of alcohol, so yes. Saying no would be a lie.

+1. Lying will only bite you in the ass later.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#4]
What if it was pleaded down to "reckless driving"?
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
add a piece of paper written with what happened.  IE; "In 1984, or 1985, I do not remember exact dates, I received a citation for driving under the influence. Penalty was a fine, which I paid.  I tried to look up official records of this incident, but the citation was too old and is not avaialbe anymore.  If there are further questions, please contact me at 414-555-8787"

I have 2 misdemeanors, did the above, and got my permit no problem.

I had a DUI in the early 80`s also and did exactly what misterpx suggested. They didnt contact me and sent my permit.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1. Lying will only bite you in the ass later.

I had no intention to lie, just how to go about how to document the DUI as the DMV has no records I can use. If you answer yes to the question they what some documentation. I did what MisterPX suggested so we'll see.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#7]
All your OWI info will appear when you are "run" in the TIME/NCIC type systems.

I have NEVER had anyone DENIED their UT permit when I was an instructor in NV, even for DUI/OWIs.

The only issues I saw were felony issues and one for DC domestic related which were NO GUN markers anyway.

Tell the truth and just wait, it will arrive eventually. UT was as gracious as FL with their permit issuance.

Fear not my friend. I honestly do not think they investigate all that well anyway.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Being UT, I always think of it as a test of character, more than a let's see what kind of bad boy you've been.  You're honest and upfront, and that's OK by me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Being UT, I always think of it as a test of character, more than a let's see what kind of bad boy you've been.  You're honest and upfront, and that's OK by me.

Thanks for the advice
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had no intention to lie, just how to go about how to document the DUI as the DMV has no records I can use. If you answer yes to the question they what some documentation. I did what MisterPX suggested so we'll see.

Gotcha. I read that differently. My bad.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#11]
So if it will still show up in a background check, it hasn't really been expunged, has it?  I hate how language has deteriorated to the point of newspeak; words used to have meaning.

/rant
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top