Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/28/2012 6:01:33 AM EDT
As usual, those opposed are wringing their hands and gnashing their teeth, but the conservative thinking Legislature has overridden them.
http://news.msn.com/us/200-utah-teachers-attend-free-gun-training
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:53:21 AM EDT
id like to see this happen in NY

wait..... nvmd.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:29:18 AM EDT
If done correctly, a good idea. But >95% of people that I see coming out of a basic pistol or personal protection class, I would probably recommend NOT carry a handgun in their classroom. For the teacher who is actually going to train, carry in the classroom is an excellent idea. For the typical teacher who's going to go down to the store, buy a glock, and throw it in an IWB...I wouldn't prevent them, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:08:19 AM EDT
Certainly, a teacher carrying in school should have move than a basic safety class. You could take a teacher or school staffer that already shoots and train them to carry in school. It would be more difficult to take your average, non-gun owning teacher and arm them. I would guess that most teachers in Southern NYS are antigun liberals that are not a good candidate for this. A time goes on we should see more former combat soldier coming out of the service and going into teaching. Most of them would be more comfortable with guns. There are probably plenty of retired cops that would take a part time job guarding a school especially in less urban areas.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:08:35 AM EDT
I would just get rid of the "gun free zone" bs and let CCWers carry in school. I dont think more training is really necessary. In many jurisdictions people are allowed to carry in crowded areas already there seems to be no issues with that

I would think if teachers were allowed to carry the amount of times a gun would be used or even drawn would be very minimal. I'd bet the idea that there might be armed resistance would deter the vast majority of school shooters.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 2:26:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tomcat017:
If done correctly, a good idea. But >95% of people that I see coming out of a basic pistol or personal protection class, I would probably recommend NOT carry a handgun in their classroom. For the teacher who is actually going to train, carry in the classroom is an excellent idea. For the typical teacher who's going to go down to the store, buy a glock, and throw it in an IWB...I wouldn't prevent them, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Thoughts?

I'll go along with what you're saying, the biggest point it making headway on our way of thinking as opposed to expensive signs proclaiming "This School is a Gun Free Zone" All shooters please register at the Office prior to massacring the students or staff.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 2:40:40 PM EDT
I'm a teacher. I'm all for being able to carry in school.
Top Top