Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2005 10:20:10 AM EDT
I couldn't find the original thread.

Front page posting in the new TCGC newsletter.

Muzzle Break
Follow Up

Some members were understandably upset by the previous article’s admonition to shoot in a rock pit if you don’t like the muzzle brake policy. It was an inappropriate statement to be published in the monthly newsletter, and the author has been soundly criticized for it. That said, I also want to say that the author of that unfortunate error in judgment is a good man and an invaluable asset to the club who performs the thankless job of directing the Range Safety Officer program. Most members would prefer to be left totally alone and never see a RSO on the range, and that would be possible if every member and guest were 100% in compliance with the rules and never made an unsafe move.
Until that day the club believes that it is in the best interests of the membership to continue the RSO program. Being staffed by humans the RSO program is not perfect, and even the best of RSO’s makes an occasional mistake, but in the vast majority of cases they do an excellent job of enforcing club rules and helping people on the range.

With regard to muzzle brakes, this is one of those no-win situations in which someone is sure to be upset, either the shooter getting the muzzle brake blast before the rule was instituted, or the muzzle brake user after the rule took effect. Shooting next to a muzzle brake-equipped rifle is at the very least extremely unpleasant for the recipient, and in an effort to minimize the exposure of high velocity gases directed at the heads of shooters, the club is requiring muzzle brakes to shoot on one end of the ranges. It’s not ideal, but is deemed to be necessary given the nature of the shooting venue.

As for what constitutes a muzzle brake, unless and until the board defines it differently, a muzzle brake is a device that directs gases to the side. As gases directed straight up or straight down should have a significantly lesser effect on adjacent shooters, devices of this type are not currently
considered muzzle brakes.

Rich Bumgardner, President, TCGC

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you know the Author refused to apoligize for the statement?  

Hey RSO, FUCK YOU!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

How do you know?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#3]
A TCGC board member told me.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm getting a membership for Christmas from my wife.  I hope this shit doesn't make me think it was a mistake.  I really want to do some IPSC stuff, and the 300/600 yard range has my intrest peaked as well.

Mark.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have mixed feelings on the response.

On one hand, we've shown our ability to get the leaderships attention.  
On the other, the president of our club can't even define the equipment he's attempting to regulate.  Seems the AWB had plenty to say about what is and isn't a muzzle brake.

If we're going to treat one rifle differently than another - how about an additional wood stove down on the west end?

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have mixed feelings on the response.

On one hand, we've shown our ability to get the leaderships attention.  
On the other, the president of our club can't even define the equipment he's attempting to regulate.  Seems the AWB had plenty to say about what is and isn't a muzzle brake.

If we're going to treat one rifle differently than another - how about an additional wood stove down on the west end?

Sound Fair.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Hey RSO, FUCK YOU!

And so he should apoligize.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Well all of this stuff seriously has me thinking twice about a membership.. i was damn near dead set on getting one becuse i enjoy the ranges there so much but the politics involved makes me want to puke..

Next thing you know their going to demand shell deflecters on rifles becuse the eject to far and might hit the guy next to you.. *admitedly i did do this on accadent one day* But they at least did state that it was for Comp's not Flash Hiders and the like..

The club needs to realize that they are loosing potental memberships becuse of this kind of BS...
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#9]
If they put up dividers between the lanes, they wouldn't have to worry as much about noise or brass.  I also agree with the idea of putting some soundproofing material on the ceiling, to help lower the noise.

They should look at fixing the range to solve their problems.  Instead, they are trying to alienate a large portion of gun owners.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot...
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Don't let a few idiots keep you from joining.

Weird things happen. One time an RO was standing near the 2nd gate and started chewing me out at the top of his lungs because I was not wearing my ID badge. I thought this rather odd since I was driving my car and all the more so because I had it in my hand so I could swipe it by the automatic gate opener.  Through my open window he yelled that I must wear it where he could see it at all times. Ohh well, I had a good time shooting that day anyway.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Did it help when some jackass brought a 8" .308 beltfed? If there is anything I can help with just let me know.  4" .223 or .308 no brake should be OK. 8" .223 or .308 with JP style brake ?can do it needed. Anything for the cause . Eric
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Did it help when some jackass brought a 8" .308 beltfed? If there is anything I can help with just let me know.  4" .223 or .308 no brake should be OK. 8" .223 or .308 with JP style brake ?can do it needed. Anything for the cause . Eric

Oh I think the 8" .308 unbraked was just fine. Put that down next to some "hunter" with a .300 Win-Mag.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:48:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Times when hunters are there are the only times I've had to cover my ears even with plugs.....much louder then anything we shoot there...........Time to bring out the 50CAL
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Who is the author?   Mike D.?  I know most of the RO's and have not had any problems.

Speaking of load, Sunday PM, a guy was shooting a .453 Casull/.460 handgun with
something like a 12+ inch barrel and break.  Jeez, talk about a hand cannon!  The
muzzel flash was impressive.

Spambo
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:18:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I just got around to reading my news letters...  WTF!?!

We seriously need to elect some black rifle types to the board.  

For the record, I've never had a problem with a range officer.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I will not join.

The idea that any muzzle brake is regulated and is required to sit in the back of the bus, so to speak, is BS. Again these are guns and they are loud. Its not a shock to anyone. I dont care to support people that are bothered by the sound and smell of firearms. After all it is a shooting range right?

TCGC,
If any of you on the board are reading this, this issue was the deciding factor for not supporting your club. The in-ability of your president to make the call on this and the tone of the reply shows the weak backbone and status of the club and the members residing on its board. The level at which you went to protect and justify the comments is a clear sign that your not sincere in your comments and could care less about the thoughts of the members and non-members that voiced concern. As said before, this WILL cost you members and your reputation is further tarnished.

Regards,
CH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top