Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2005 11:00:09 AM EDT
Deputy has been arrested and is being held in Sumter County jail in Americus. Has been charged with involuntary manslaughter, lying to investigators, violation of oath of office and one other charge, which, I believe, is tampering with evidence.

Apparently, Deputy threw knife into teen's truck and claimed that teen had pulled the knife on him. Another case where less panic and more truth would have served the officer and everybody else better than the course of action that the deputy took.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 8:05:09 PM EDT
that's horrible.

cops like this make other good cops look bad.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:51:49 PM EDT
Ex-Deputy Spillers was a good friend of mine, and I would like to think that the following is not true, but..... one can never tell what lies in anothers heart....

I am not one to put much faith in the "rumor-mill" but ... The latest word on the streets is that the teen that was shot was dating the deputies girlfriend and that there may have been more to the shooting than meets the eye...... THis si the secopnd time today that I have heard this...... Will have to wait and see how this plays out in the near future....
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:55:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2005 6:56:06 PM EDT by Head_Space]
Ex-Deputy Spillers was a good friend of mine, and I would like to think that the following is not true, however, one can never tell what lies in anothers heart....

I am not one to put much faith in the "rumor-mill" nor am I one to participate in rumor-mongering, yet the following was relayed to me by two seperate and independent sources today -... - the latest word on the streets is that the teen that was shot was dating the deputies girlfriend and that there may have been more to the shooting than meets the eye......

Will have to wait and see how this plays out in the near future....

Darn it... was trying to edit the original post for grammar and reposted.... pardon me.....
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:06:35 PM EDT
If the district attorney had any evidence that the "girlfriend" connection existed, I'd bet that she'd have charged Spillers with something a little more serious than misdemeanor involuntary manslaughter.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:22:43 PM EDT
I don't like it when people die.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:47:43 AM EDT
The rumor mill around here is full of crazy stuff. Sounds to me like he accidently shot the kid then tried to cover it up.

Whatever happened, it is a damned shame.

On a happier note, I thought I was the only one here in the Albany area.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:33:02 AM EDT
does it ever snow in albany?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:21:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Latoilette:
does it ever snow in albany?

No. Well, once in a while, maybe every few years, but it doesn't stay for more than a couple of hours.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:56:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By joker581:
The rumor mill around here is full of crazy stuff. Sounds to me like he accidently shot the kid then tried to cover it up.

Whatever happened, it is a damned shame.

On a happier note, I thought I was the only one here in the Albany area.

I played American Legion baseball for Albany on the same team as Sheriff Harold Breeden and Wesley Beaver's grandfather, Roger. Got some cousins in Albany.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:35:00 PM EDT
I wasn't trying to add crap to the rumor mill..... what I was trying to say and failed to mention was that the rumor mill was churning out a lot of misinformation about the shooting. My apologies to anyone that may have miscontrued my post earlier............ I posted after having been awake for almost 40 hours and did a miserable job of getting my point across.....

I am of the opinion that it was an AD (accidental discharge) and that he paniced and tried to cover it up.... and now he has to pay the price for his recklessness. I hate it that someone died, and I hate it even worse that someone tried to cover the true nature of that death.

By the way... I am in Sylvester..... and if you Albany area guys want to get together and shoot some AR's..... let me know..... I thought I was the only one in or near Albany..... small world........

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:33:11 PM EDT
You mean Awlbenny?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:33:15 PM EDT
I certainly didn't think you were trying to add anything to the rumor mill.

Sylvester, huh? Small world indeed. I went to Worth County High.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:19:04 AM EDT
I don't believe that Spillers would have been charged at all, had he just kept his mouth shut and not planted the knife.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:40:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WalterGA:
I don't believe that Spillers would have been charged at all, had he just kept his mouth shut and not planted the knife.

I agree. He probably would have been fired, but calling it an accident would have likely got him off, even if it weren't true.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:19:23 AM EDT
Also in Albany here. Head_Space is a scary character. lol. j/k We shoot all the time together. He probably doesn't know who i am, but if he thinks about my screen name, he'll know. I never knew there was any people close to Albany in here either since most posts talk about the Atlanta area.

I don't have much to say on this because like head_space, i don't want to add to the rumor-mill. It's just a shame a young life was lost and not sure we will ever know the full truth.

I guess we should start a Georgia/city area post. Being somewhat new to the site, it'd be nice to see where everyone is from so at some point down the road we could all go to a shoot together. Nice meeting everyone, and i'll post name later if Head_space realizes who i am without me telling. lol
Top Top