Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 12:20:58 PM EDT
I used to live in Temecula and used to shoot at the BLM land off highway 79 south near that RV resort.  Last I checked it was closed.

I went to school in Redlands so I used to shoot on the BLM land up the highway off 330 in the mountains.  Last I checked they closed it due to the fires and such a few years ago.

Anybody know the updates of these?  I am moving back to CA from Texas and want to know what's available.  For as big of a city as Temecula, I'm really surprised there isn't ONE single indoor range.  Thanks ya'll.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
330 was opened briefly, but there was another fire recently and they've closed it again.

There's still the Inland Fish & Game range (200yds) in the wash along hwy 30.

Also, the 'open' range in Lytle Creek canyon is now privately managed and is good for 300yds.

Otherwise, it's out to the high deserts along 395 towards Ridgecrest now.

Down toward Temecula (Rancho California) they closed Railroad Canyon and everythings pretty much developed now out past French Valley and down to Fallbrook.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#4]
When I moved out to Temecula in 1997, I was told that there was an indoor range here in town. I was never able to find it and then heard rumors that it had closed down due to insurance reasons. I belong to range in Rainbow which is only a few miles south of Temecula. It is near the Border Patrol checkpoint off of Rainbow Valley road. Membership dues are $100 for the year and they have several ranges available for different types of firearms. The maximum distance is only 150 yards but this will let you work on basic shooting skills. The different ranges include the following: .22 rimfire, rifle (50,75, and 100 yards), pistol(15,25, and 50 yards), falling plates for pistols(lead only rounds), shotgun (clay pigeon thrower), a set of 3 metal plates to practice multiple-target, close quarter engagements(lead only pistol and shotguns).

You can contact the range at 760-723-8743.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When I moved out to Temecula in 1997, I was told that there was an indoor range here in town. I was never able to find it and then heard rumors that it had closed down due to insurance reasons.

I actually shot at said range.  If I remember correctly it was on Diaz road.  I was only 10 at the time and this was roughly 1992 or so.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The Cleveland National Forest also has two designated shooting areas:

Orosco Shooting Area Recreational shooting is permitted as follows: Along Orosco Road during daylight hours only (sunrise to sunset). The gate to Orosco Road is locked with a combination lock. Please contact Palomar District Headquarters at (760)788-0250 Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to obtain the current combination. Because the combination is changed periodically, we recommend you call before each trip. Adventure Pass required. Use only paper, clay pigeons, and metal spinning/knockdown targets. No shooting in the direction of Pamo Valley.

I shot here with a friend who's a retired Marine pilot in December. Was not especially clean, but it was a place to shoot. We were there during a weekday afternoon, and there were four others who came by to shoot during the time we were there. Got swept by a muzzle once from a guy who was sighting in his deer rifle.

Palomar Divide Road Open Area   Portions of the Palomar Divide road remain open to recreational shooting. From the beginning of the forest boundary on Palomar Divide Road (9S07) which is located near mile marker 42 on Highway 79 up to the junction of Oak Grove Road (9S09) and Palomar Divide Road (9S07) (in Section 25, Township 9 South, Range 1 East near high point lookout) remains open to recreational shooting. The Forest will continue to monitor the use in this area. [NOTE This area is temporarily closed as of May 2004. The USFS has proposed a permanent shooting closure for this area] Palomar Ranger District, 1634 Black Canyon Road, Ramona, CA 92065 - (760) 788-0250 for the current combination and additional information on recreational shooting locations on the District.

I think this is the area that Freedom is referring to near the RV resort. Have shot there a couple times, but that was before they closed it because some of the homeowners a couple miles away complained about bullets falling onto their houses on occasion. At least that's the story I got from a ranger I talked to one day.

Moral of the story: It only takes one idiot to ruin it for everyone.

ETA: The ranger said guys with rifles were trying to shoot at balloons they'd let go. Duhhhh! Probably the same Einsteins that shoot into the air to ring in the New Year or celebrate weddings or whatever.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Census in 2000 had Temecula at 57,000 and Murrieta at 44,000.  I'd be surprised if either was below 70,000 today.  Why is there no indoor range?  I have no idea.  I may join the Rainbow Range.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:26:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to live like 30 seconds from Inland Fish and Game and I always thought it looked like a kind of crappy place, but I hear nothing but good things about it. If you do decide to go there I would call first to make sure they are open; last I heard they had temporarily closed because Highland was forcing them to build a 10 foot brick wall around the entire range because of noise complaints. I heard that from an actual member there who I went to school with, so I would take it as a reliable source, but just before I left I thought I heard firing for the first time so they may have just reopened it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#9]
There used to be a RV resort/campground east of 15 Fwy  on I believe Hwy 76. I believe it was called Rancho Corrido and they had a 100 yd. range there. Anyone know if it's still around?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to shoot at Rancho Corrido back in 1986-1988. I'd be interested to know if it was still there as well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Census in 2000 had Temecula at 57,000 and Murrieta at 44,000.  I'd be surprised if either was below 70,000 today.  Why is there no indoor range?  I have no idea.  I may join the Rainbow Range.

I just saw a sign leaving my home in French Valley area of Winchester while entering Murrieta stating a population of 84K+. Could it have possible have grown that fast? Maybe I remembered the sign incorrectly. I'll have to check it next time I drive by it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I used to shoot at Rancho Corrido back in 1986-1988. I'd be interested to know if it was still there as well.

I have family that still lives a few miles down the road from Rancho Corrido. Last time I was down there, it was still there, though I don't know about the range. Used to be able to hear shooting on weekends. Nowadays? Only when it's a minute or two before the New Year.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Sadly, Rancho Corrido got shut down when I was the Boy Scouts.  Sometime in the early or mid 90s.  It was the favorite camping trip in the troop and they always had trouble finding enough parents to drive for it...simply because just about the whole troop wanted to go.

I'll miss that place.

EDIT: The RV resort and campground by the same name is still there...just not the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top