Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 5:15:20 AM EDT
My wife who is (was) employed a Waterfield Mortgage just called me (8:50am) to inform me that Waterfield is sold. This is a MAJOR blow to the Fort Wayne area as well as Indiana in general. It effects (750+) jobs just in Fort Wayne. It looks a though she and I and many others are entering rough financial waters. Looks like I'll have to start selling stuff to pay the bills.
2 steps forward........
3 steps back............

Not much in this world scares me. But today I am scared.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:23:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure how old you are, but Ft. Wayne took it's licks in the early 90's pretty hard.  One of the major mistakes many people made, in particular IT people and Engineers was they stayed in the area too long.

If you have to, adapt!  Move, travel, do what it takes.  You can always move back to Ft. Wayne but don't just sit and hope things get better.  That market is not big enough to absorb very many unemployed bodies at one time.

If you see any jobs here either of you may fit, let me know, I am in HR and can get your resume to the top of the pile.

brightpoint.submit4jobs.com/
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I know how rough unemployment is I've been unemployed (well from a steady liveable paycheck) since I signed my DD214 on August 12 05. But after looking enough I found a job out in the Airport. But Zoub is right if the opportunity pops up somewhere take it I actually turned down a job in Florida that was my gate way into Law Enforcement..... kind akick myself for that cause I was gonna get a lot of free stuff and a free take home Durango with flashy lights and a cool siren... not to mention free weapons.... But do what you gotta do just stay safe keep your eyes pealed. Good luck.

Semper Fidelis
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:00:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the encouragement guys!!! My wife had allot more info last night. It's going to hit this area hard.

Zoub, thank you for the link. She will be looking through the files soon, whatever she decides to do I guess I'll tag along for the ride.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Update:

So far of the 650~ people that work at Waterfield, maybe 10>15 will transition to the new owners.
As for the rest, most will be hitting the street.
That's just in Fort Wayne and does not include all of the other state's that have Waterfield branches.

A decent severence package is being given and a company has been called in to "assist" in job placement as well as counseling services.
Some of these people have worked at this company for 37+ years. They lost their pensions and retirement packages, health care and so on. It doesn't surprise me at all in this day and age but I can't help but feel bad for these people. Imagine being 59 or 60 years old and you go in to work one day to the same place you've worked for 37 years and they tell you to go home because your unemployeed!
I know it's happening everywhere but damn...
My wifey and I are about ready to throw in the towel on this area. I know it's probably not any differant anywhere else but a change of scenery might help, or at least slow the process of me losing my mind!
Stress... it's whats for breakfast.........and lunch.................oh, and did I mention dinner!

As one door closes another door opens...............................

Now.... where the hell did I put that doorknob?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish you the best of luck - I'm not sure what advice I can give to support you in this difficult time, but I'm sure things will work out. I'd agree that a little change of scenery couldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:44:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I feel your pain. I have been looking over my shoulder at my job for better than 2 years.  Come March its going to get real interesting for me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:43:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I feel your pain. I have been looking over my shoulder at my job for better than 2 years.  Come March its going to get real interesting for me.

Keep us posted bro, you'll find plenty of moral support here. Good luck!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:56:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Good Luck....

As long as you have each other you'll make it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top