Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/22/2005 7:44:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/30/2005 8:40:10 AM EDT by BUCC_Guy]
I reside in PA for about 9 months out of the year and contacted the local Sheriff to see about getting my non-resident permit.

Him: "We don't issue permits to non-residents."
Me: "I'm head instructor for the Rifle Association here on campus and we store firearms at an off-campus location."
Him: "We don't issue permits to students... it has been our policy for years."
Me: "I'm sure the criminals are shakin' in their boots..."

*silence*

Me: "Thank you for your time."

What does refusing to issue a permit accomplish?

Nothing! Zippo! Criminals will do what they will, but I have to have everything in the trunk, unloaded, and in a seperate box from the ammo.

Sorry... rant off.

Wish I was in Center county... I hear they hand out permits at birthday parties...

- BG

EDIT: Damn! I should have said "Good thing open carry is legal... have a good one!"
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:50:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2005 2:12:03 PM EDT by clubsoda22]
for one thing, denying you a non resident permit only on the basis that you are a student is pretty dick, but unfortunately shall issue only applies to residents. To get a PA non-resident permit you need to have a permit in your home state however. If you have a permit in CT (which is a shall-issue state and not very expensive either), you do not need to apply for a non-resident permit in the county where you reside at college. Call centre county. http://county.centreconnect.org/sheriff/license_application.htm

BTW, you can carry on campus without breaking any laws...college policy can get you kicked out however so it's your call.

I'm guessing this is Bucknell. One of my best friends is in his third year there. Campus didn't seem to be very gun friendly (what campus is?) as when i was visiting him last year. The college newspaper had an big article about campus police not being able to carry.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:14:20 PM EDT
clubsoda is 100% right, as long as you have a permit from your home state you can apply for a nonresident permit in any county.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:52:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By clubsoda22:
for one thing, denying you a non resident permit only on the basis that you are a student is pretty dick, but unfortunately shall issue only applies to residents. To get a PA non-resident permit you need to have a permit in your home state however. If you have a permit in CT (which is a shall-issue state and not very expensive either), you do not need to apply for a non-resident permit in the county where you reside at college. Call centre county. http://county.centreconnect.org/sheriff/license_application.htm

BTW, you can carry on campus without breaking any laws...college policy can get you kicked out however so it's your call.

I'm guessing this is Bucknell. One of my best friends is in his third year there. Campus didn't seem to be very gun friendly (what campus is?) as when i was visiting him last year. The college newspaper had an big article about campus police not being able to carry.

Yes, it is Bucknell. Campus is not gun friendly and you are correct... I can legally carry but run the risk of getting the iron boot out of here. I don't want to dance with them...

Thank you for that link! It'll be in the mail as soon as I get some passport sized photos!

- BG
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:57:48 PM EDT
cool, maybe next time i'm up there visiting we'll go shoot. Where do you guys shoot up there?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:35:18 PM EDT

cool, maybe next time i'm up there visiting we'll go shoot. Where do you guys shoot up there?

A little club up the river from Lewisburg... 12 minute drive, tops. Norry Gun Club

- BG
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:24:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2005 6:24:56 AM EDT by wgjhsafT]
Check this out:

The Sheriff of Centre Co. PA., Denny Nau, will issue Via mail to Non Residents of Pennsylvania. (You must have a permit from your state of Residence if your state issues permits) Residents of Pennsylvania must apply to the sheriff of the county they live in. Instructions are available from the Site below.

Centre County Sheriff
Centre County Courthouse
Bellefonte PA 16823-1488
(814) 355-6803
Centre Co. Sheriff's Web Site.

From packing.org under PA.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:40:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2005 7:42:34 AM EDT by fslflint]
yeah, Denny Nau is cool as heck, met him a couple times. great guy and he's even on our side

ahh, bucknell. you're right down the road from me. I'm in williamsport at Penn College of Technology.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:44:11 AM EDT
UPDATE

Although I'm following through with paperwork from the other county, I hear through the grapevine that the Union County Sheriff has been doing some homework trying to track me down. He has called the ROTC office on campus and contacted the President of a club he assumed I was involved with (which I am.)

He apparently didn't pick up my name during our conversation but he is certainly trying to get it. One of the people he called knew exactly who he was talking about but didn't say so.

Any ideas why the Sheriff is getting a knot in his panties? I was certainly sarcastic on the phone but that was rather insignificant.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:04:44 AM EDT
Perhaps he's calling to appologize and give you your permit?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:30:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LastDefender:

Yeah, right. More likely he is trying to contact campus police and tell them you have a gun on campus. As a person who has had their dorm room raided for weapons violations (i didn't actually have weapons on campus, although they certainly thought i did) i can tell you it's no fun.

Maybe you should call him back and, without giving your name, ask what he wants.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:37:42 AM EDT
Whatever it is it most likely isn't good. From what I understand he is not obligated to issue a non resident permit if he does not want to so it probably has nothing to do with giving you a permit. I would call and try to find out what the hell is going on, without giving your name.

Good luck and let us know what happens
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:51:31 AM EDT

Yeah, right. More likely he is trying to contact campus police and tell them you have a gun on campus. As a person who has had their dorm room raided for weapons violations (i didn't actually have weapons on campus, although they certainly thought i did) i can tell you it's no fun.

Maybe you should call him back and, without giving your name, ask what he wants.

That is certainly my concern... I don't need them to raid my room. That would just be unneeded aggravation.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:54:41 AM EDT
time to make a phone call and demand to know why your club officials are being harrassed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:39:51 PM EDT
Correction:

He didn't "call" the ROTC office... he actually came here to ask questions.

Doesn't he have anything better to do with his time?

Thinking about stopping by his office in the morning.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:37:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 7:38:45 AM EDT by clubsoda22]

Originally Posted By BUCC_Guy:
Correction:

He didn't "call" the ROTC office... he actually came here to ask questions.

Doesn't he have anything better to do with his time?

Thinking about stopping by his office in the morning.

- BG

Evedently not, aside from the corrections facility the most action they get i probably herding drunks on the campus.

Stop by his office and see what he wants. Seriously, there isn't a damn thing this guy can do to you other than simple harassment. If he brings up the permit tell him you simply applied for it in another county so it's no longer his problem and leave.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:46:23 AM EDT
You gain nothing by being hostile. Instead, why not just ask if he has questions he'd like to ask you? If they obtain a warrant to search, there is nothing you can do about that. You excersizing a PA State Constitutional right would be rather weak PC for a search warrant however. Assuming you live in a dorm, I'm not sure they even need a warrant? Legal minds would have to chime in here as to resonable expectation of privacy etc etc etc.....

Would the state be able to secure a warrant to search for a car if you were a freshman and went to obtain a PA State Driver's licence even when the College says no freshmen may have cars on campus. Granted a weak analogy, but a CCW permit does not require you to own a hand gun just as a driver's licence does not require you to own a car.

God I wish I was filthy rich and could go get my law degree and take cases like this pro-bono.
Why can't I win the powerball! What fun I'd have...................

Regards,
Gary

Please keep us all updated on this situation
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:17:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 1:19:56 PM EDT by clubsoda22]
It's not against the law to have a gun in your dorm room, it's against college policy. The police wouldn't be conducting the search nor would they have any stake in the findings. campus police would be conducting the search. By signing the housing agreement you pretty much give them free reign to do so.

What i suspect is he's trying to find out your name so he can tip campus police to make your life miserable because, in all likelyhood, he's a miserable prick himself. Then again, i could be dead wrong and he could be looking for you to apologise and issue you a permit. In my experiance, howeve, when a cop is looking for you, seldom is it for a good thing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:29:44 PM EDT
Actually we need to be very careful here. If the Bucknell College Cops have arrest powers and are police officers and not " Public Safety" or Security, then they do need a search warrant and probable cause to obtain one. Your actions may be in violation of "policy", but no way in hell are the cops getting a search warrant. You have to have a crime first to even apply for a search warrant.
Now...Your housing office may be permitted to enter your room and look around, but they can't come in and start looking through drawers etc... They can ask you if you got a gat, (so can the cops) but you don't have to answer. Not sure if housing can ask you or toss you out of housing if you tell them all to pound it... You're gonna have to read your lease or housing agreement. Above all remember its not a crime and don't let BS or over active mopes trample your rights...

PS.... If they do, I call halfsies on your settlement amount after you sue them.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:18:40 PM EDT
Eh, still getting my paperwork ready for Centre County.

I think the potential room search is more of an annoyance than anything. If they so much as find a live .22 round, I'm essentially toast... but there is nothing here.

I know the rules of this joint like the back of my hand for the most part.

(And no, the security guys don't need a warrant.)

- BG
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:03:04 AM EDT
Have we found out what the Sheriff was up to yet?

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:22:40 PM EDT

Have we found out what the Sheriff was up to yet?

Regards,
Gary

I've been loaded down with other obligations... I'll have time to pay him a visit on Friday.

I would prefer, however, to have my paperwork in to Centre County before I rock any boats.

On the plus side, I hear from a trusted source that the Sheriff here really is a good guy... maybe he does want to kiss and make up?

- BG
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:22:25 PM EDT
UPDATE:

I don't think he wants to kiss and make up.

Stopped in today since I had some free time. I was told he was there but it turns out he wasn't. A deputy got him on the horn (speaker phone) and they tried to work out a time with me but it wasn't happening... looks like the week after next at the earliest.

What I gathered from the Deputies (since he asked to be taken off speaker phone) was that he was "pretty cranked" about the whole thing. All three of them in the office apparently knew of the issue.

We'll see how it goes after next week.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:48:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 2:50:08 PM EDT by clubsoda22]

I would prefer, however, to have my paperwork in to Centre County before I rock any boats.

Not that this guy could stop you from getting a permit from centre county, but unless you have it in hand i wouldn't make mention of where you're getting it other than "elsewhere."

You should be able to have your permit in hand by the week after next. (i strongly recommend you have it sent to your parents house out of state from centre county, not your school mailbox, then have your parents forward it to you. Makes it so centre county doesn't ask you why you didn't try union county. Makes it so the union county sheriff doesn't call denny nau and get on his case for going over his head.

Once you have it, it's impossible to loose it for anything other than a very well defined list of offenses, so you don't have to worry about the union county sheriff once you have it.

Although i don't know how the UC sheriff will handle the truth, feel free to tell him it's none of his business if he get's on your case.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:02:04 AM EDT
This whole thing baffles me. I have no idea what could possibly be gained by not issuing a permit.

It's really simple...take the money, do the check, give the card. It takes less then 5 minutes and results in a profit for the agency. We now have an elected official possibly spending hours of his time on a $19 matter.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:29:51 AM EDT

Not that this guy could stop you from getting a permit from centre county, but unless you have it in hand i wouldn't make mention of where you're getting it other than "elsewhere."

You should be able to have your permit in hand by the week after next. (i strongly recommend you have it sent to your parents house out of state from centre county, not your school mailbox, then have your parents forward it to you. Makes it so centre county doesn't ask you why you didn't try union county. Makes it so the union county sheriff doesn't call denny nau and get on his case for going over his head.

Once you have it, it's impossible to loose it for anything other than a very well defined list of offenses, so you don't have to worry about the union county sheriff once you have it.

Although i don't know how the UC sheriff will handle the truth, feel free to tell him it's none of his business if he get's on your case.

That is my exact plan... which is all the more convenient because I'm headed back to CT in about 3 hours. I'm just taken aback by the complete soap opera this has turned into.

I should kiss his wife.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:24:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WMHM4:
clubsoda is 100% right, as long as you have a permit from your home state you can apply for a nonresident permit in any county.

I may eventually move to Pittsburgh. If I get a non-resident now using my WA permit, will I still be OK to carry on it if I become a resident?

Thanks,
BoB
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:58:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BoB-O:

Originally Posted By WMHM4:

I may eventually move to Pittsburgh. If I get a non-resident now using my WA permit, will I still be OK to carry on it if I become a resident?

Thanks,
BoB

Yes, just when you renew you get a resident permit. It's the same process either way, so i can't see a problem carrying a non-res even if you become a resident.
Top Top