Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 4:26:38 PM EDT
Will Nevada ever have uniform Gun Laws throught the state ?  Like the no deadly weapons laws in NLV and BC.  It's kinda stupid that I can travel along west bound Lake Mead Blvd from Sunrise Mtn. , where no CCW is Require to have a loaded handgun in the vehicle then drive through NLV and have to unloaded the gun, lock it up to be legal.  Then once I leave NLV, I can load it again when I pass into Las Vegas City Limits.  Granted, I have had a CCW for many years, but it's the principal behind my madness.  I have family in the Reno Area, and pretty much everybody up there thinks Clark County is the bastard stepchild of Nevada.    
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to Clark County, Kommiefornia.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The state passed a law not allowing any other cities or counties to add additional restrictions.

I can't remember the name.........
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#3]
It is called the "State Preemption" Law. The law was passed in July of 1989. It made the state preemptive in regards to firearms laws. After the law passed it restricted cities and counties from passing firearms laws that are more restrictive   than state law, and it also prohibited the registration of firearms and the regulation of the sale of ammunition.

I guess the Blue Card Registration in Clark County, and the individual ordinances of Boulder City and North Las Vegas were Grandfathered in.

Hell, before the law passed in 1989, I remember having to show ID when buying ammo. Gun stores also had to record the sale with the personal information of the buyer in a book that was by monitored by the State.

Nevada Preemption Statute NRS 244.364

NRS 244.364  Limited authority to regulate firearms.

1.  Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county may infringe upon those rights and powers.

2.  A board of county commissioners may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms.

3.  As used in this section, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

(Added to NRS by 1989, 652)

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It is called the "State Preemption" Law. The law was passed in July of 1989. It made the state preemptive in regards to firearms laws. After the law passed it restricted cities and counties from passing firearms laws that are more restrictive   than state law, and it also prohibited the registration of firearms and the regulation of the sale of ammunition.

I guess the Blue Card Registration in Clark County, and the individual ordinances of Boulder City and North Las Vegas were Grandfathered in.

Hell, before the law passed in 1989, I remember having to show ID when buying ammo. Gun stores also had to record the sale with the personal information of the buyer in a book that was by monitored by the State.

Nevada Preemption Statute NRS 244.364

NRS 244.364  Limited authority to regulate firearms.

1.  Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county may infringe upon those rights and powers.

2.  A board of county commissioners may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms.

3.  As used in this section, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

(Added to NRS by 1989, 652)

Joe,
Do you think we we ever have a chance to do away with those laws in NLV and BC and have uniform laws ?  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#5]
BC is a govt. controlled community while NLV is grwoing, but still has some severe ghetto areas.

I would say you would see a change in BC first, but don't hold your breath.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#6]
nevada would be very wise to sale clark county to california............or jsut give it to them.........or pay them to take it.........better yet trade them clark county for lassen and call it good.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Joe,
Do you think we we ever have a chance to do away with those laws in NLV and BC and have uniform laws ?  

In order to get the local laws changed in North Las Vegas and Boulder City, a member of each respective City Council would have to introduce a motion to repeal the law(s). Then it would have to be heard along with public testimony and then either repealed, have no action taken, or voted against for passage.

You can be sure that if such a motion(s) were introduced there would be opposition by law enforcement. Not to mention negative testimony from unknowing citizens and liberals. It would be worth a try but I doubt those laws would be changed the first few times out, or at all for that matter.

As long as we have fucking idiots killing and shooting at cops, I doubt that any motions seeking to repeal existing firearms laws would have a chance.

I have lived in Clark County for 30 years, and the way things are going I can only see more restrictive laws being passed in regards to firearms rather than existing laws getting repealed.

I don't mean to sound negative but that's how I see it, Bro.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
.... in the Reno Area, and pretty much everybody up there thinks Clark County is the bastard stepchild of Nevada.    

I didn't want to say it, but ........
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Clark County is a model for what is to come. It used to be the cool little desert oasis, founded by gangsters and populated by the hip and bizarre. The Rat Pack, Sequined-Fat Elvis, Liberace, Siegfried und Roy. They had some pretty liberal ideas, in the truest sense of the word! Do what you will, leave others alone, take your chances, and maybe get rich.
Then there came the influx of invaders. People who thought they could survive in the desert, but realized they need uncle sam to protect them, nurure them, encourage them. And the Wild west got tamer and lamer. These people brought their lame ideas and intolerance with them. Yep, we had FAGS here long before gay was cool (Liberace was the FLAMIN'-IST!) But we left well enough alone. They didn't try to tell us that it was normal, nor did they bat an eye at legalized prostitution, gambling ,church goin' folk, all night drinking, or gun-happy cowboys. They all got along. Famously. okay, so John Wayne punched out one of Sinatra's security people, that's an excellent lesson. Cowboys will trump city-folk. But when THEY (choose a demographic you dislike the most, they contributed to the downfall) started pouring in, it all went to AYCH-EEE-DUBBLEHOCKEYSTIX! And since population allows for greater representation in the legislature, it only spells doom for us far flung Nevadans and our brothers who still cling to the rim of the toilet bowl that is Clark County. Those of us who live here because it was free.

If you don't see the parallel between this situation, and the reality of where illegal immigration is taking us, you are part of the problem.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
nevada would be very wise to sale clark county to california............or jsut give it to them.........or pay them to take it.........better yet trade them clark county for lassen and call it good.

With the way NV gives away mining revenue and without the $$ from Clark, everywhere else would be broke.

We may be the bastard child, but a lil' help from everywhere else makes this a Republican state!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I can live with thew present gun laws for now.  They are certainly better than California.  I can only pray that the laws do not get anymore strict.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
BC is a govt. controlled community while NLV is grwoing, but still has some severe ghetto areas.

I would say you would see a change in BC first, but don't hold your breath.

How is BC a Government controlled City ?  Is it because of the Hoover Dam ?  Is this why the city is only allowed to grow 3% a year ?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Clark County is a model for what is to come. It used to be the cool little desert oasis, founded by gangsters and populated by the hip and bizarre. The Rat Pack, Sequined-Fat Elvis, Liberace, Siegfried und Roy. They had some pretty liberal ideas, in the truest sense of the word! Do what you will, leave others alone, take your chances, and maybe get rich.
Then there came the influx of invaders. People who thought they could survive in the desert, but realized they need uncle sam to protect them, nurure them, encourage them. And the Wild west got tamer and lamer. These people brought their lame ideas and intolerance with them. Yep, we had FAGS here long before gay was cool (Liberace was the FLAMIN'-IST!) But we left well enough alone. They didn't try to tell us that it was normal, nor did they bat an eye at legalized prostitution, gambling ,church goin' folk, all night drinking, or gun-happy cowboys. They all got along. Famously. okay, so John Wayne punched out one of Sinatra's security people, that's an excellent lesson. Cowboys will trump city-folk. But when THEY (choose a demographic you dislike the most, they contributed to the downfall) started pouring in, it all went to AYCH-EEE-DUBBLEHOCKEYSTIX! And since population allows for greater representation in the legislature, it only spells doom for us far flung Nevadans and our brothers who still cling to the rim of the toilet bowl that is Clark County. Those of us who live here because it was free.

If you don't see the parallel between this situation, and the reality of where illegal immigration is taking us, you are part of the problem.

I agree America was better before we got touchy feely about life. Now its bad to tell the truth and maybe hurt someones feelings. Thats B.S.!! I may be young (24) but my grandpa always says I'm from another year and that if more young people thought like me America wouldn't be in the toliet.  Its a sad day when more people want to be feed by the goverment, then to stand up and provide for themselves. BTW when you vote for Governor of Nevada, don't vote for Deana Titus if she has it her way Mexico will join the Union.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

How is BC a Government controlled City ?  Is it because of the Hoover Dam ?  Is this why the city is only allowed to grow 3% a year ?

BC's govt.......between growth, gaming, and Nazi gun laws, they are a lil' overbearing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BC's govt.......between growth, gaming, and Nazi gun laws, they are a lil' overbearing.

Growth, BC doesn't allow itself to grow.  They cap the growth at 3% a year.  What City would do that ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top