Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2011 11:34:25 PM EDT
So for some time now I have been thinking about building a dedicated .22lr upper and since I won a CMMG conversion kit at one of their shoots as a door prize I decided that would be a good jumping off point and also sort of set the tone for everything that went into this upper.

The only thing that was bought new (or even close to market price) was the barrel that I picked up from Clint Beyer (good guy, barrel looks great). I bought the rest of the parts off the EE or had laying around and picked up the optic from a local guy for a steal.

I am still waiting on a 7" hand guard I bought of the EE to get here since the 10" I already had was a bit to long (even with the SSparrow) but I thought I would toss up a photo really quick (and crappy) and get the HTF's opinion on the setup.

5.5" .22lr Beyer Barrel

Nikon M223 1-4

Burris PEPR QD mount

CMMG SS conversion with BHO, jam assist, and dedicated collar

On my form 1 CMMG lower

Still need to see it with the fore arm and see how it shoots, but I am thinking the 1-4 in the burris mount may be a bit overkill. It's still light and seems to point well from the shoulder and I like the 1-4x scope, I may put it on my next project (300blk upper).

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks cool but it needs a can...
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 4:45:32 AM EDT
[#2]
this setup seems....familiar…

you'll mostly use it for up close plinking, so does the optic allow for that?  If so, rock it.  I wondered what the Appleseed folks would say if I showed up with this configuration.  

nice stick!
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 5:43:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:01:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
IMO it is over-scoped.  Since it's "just" a .22lr with a 5" barrel, you likely won't be shooting it much past 75-80yds, right?  And even then it's mostly a plinker, right?  To me that screams for a red-dot sight.  

Agree.........I used a primary arms red dot for my similar setup. I would save the Nikon for 300BLK or a nice .223 coyote gun. If wanting to hunt squirrels with it, the scope may be fine, but I'd still move it to 300BLK or .223 and pick up a cheaper scope for the .22. It's not like the recoil is going to affect it right?

Side note...I used a Troy TRX Xtrme rail that is 7.6".....my barrel is 4.5", plus my AAC Element.....just BARELY sticks past the handguard, probably less than 1/2".
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:23:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I even considered buying one of the Chinese airsoft LaRue knockoff rails for a .22lr build.  Eh, at ~$50 they look good and I'm sure will work well enough.

They do.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I am thinking about replacing the scope with a red dot but I have other projects that are going to demand a fair amount of money until then (but I will be keeping an eye out for a cheap one). It shoots great although it does not like winchester bulk .22, not unshootable, just the groups open up a bit.

The forearm came in today and I took a second to toss it together and take a quick (and crappy) cell phone shot of it. I also got a bit bored and ran the photo through a editing app I have on my phone to see what it would look like on my computer (the answer is grainy as hell)

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I considered that handguard for my .22 upper. Looks sharp, kinda wish I would have gone that route, but do like the one I have.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I considered that handguard for my .22 upper. Looks sharp, kinda wish I would have gone that route, but do like the one I have.

I wanted that style (single top rail with ability to add sections to the sides) and I have to say I was a little worried about the way it mounted but once I got it on there and snugged down those two screws it was solid as a rock. It feels good, its light, and it seems fairly well made.

I picked this one up off the EE for a decent enough price will probably consider another for a 300blk upper.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks great.  How does it sound????
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Looks great.  How does it sound????

It suppresses as well as my 22/45 easy, the winchester bulk pack I had with my seems to like to go supersonic out of it, and I didn't have much of my preferred ammo with me, but I would say its not really any louder than a 16" 10/22 other than the FRP is a little more pronounced.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top