Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2015 11:15:37 AM EDT

Well, this was not news I was hoping to get as the father of three young girls in a small neighborhood full of other children, as well.

Just purchased and moved into a new home, and found out via public search that a RSO moved in across the street.  My timing must have been extraordinarily bad, as his date of registration was 8/17/2015, and was just around the time we purchased the home.  His registration date and our purchase date were so close, it doesn't look like his information had hit the state's website when I was doing my due diligence for the home purchase.

His registration period is "lifetime", so that tells me that his crime was forcible, or involved a minor.  His case was settled with 10 years of community supervision per the states website.

Couple of interesting points I have determined, thus far, is that neither his name, nor his ethnicity match that of the owner of the property from the County's tax rolls.

Interestingly, I walked over and introduced myself to who I presumed to be the owner of the home in question while he was out working in the yard prior to having any knowledge of this.  The name he exchanged with me matches what is in on the tax rolls, so he seems legit.  The RSO registered at that address seems too old at 40ish to be this guys son, the RSO is clearly of Asian descent from his photograph and surname, and the property is owner is clearly not.  Guess the RSO could be adopted, or similar, but the surnames are not in the same ballpark.

I also haven't actually seen the RSO at/around the residence after almost a month of living in the neighborhood.

I have noticed some somewhat odd events like a car with an occupant parked in front of the home for hours at a time.

We have a deputy constable who patrols through the area most mornings.  I waved, and he rolled down the window for a conversation this morning.  He said he was aware of it, and suggested calling the Sheriff's Office to speak with Sex Crimes unit to what information they might be able to share.

The neighborhood is small at only ten total houses, so I'm thinking a discreet conversation with the other parents might be in order, just to make sure everyone is aware.  I will give the Sherrif's office a call late today or tomorrow to pursue that angle.

Anyone else ever dealt with this, or any of our resident LEO's have any suggestions?

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to the Armory section and look at the home security section at the security camera suggestions. You can't install a camera looking over the guys fence into his backyard, but you can definitely film your front yard and the street and the front of his house that you can see normally see from the street.

I'd go there next. If he's renting and he doesn't like it, he can move.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#2]
At least you know he's there.  Keep a nice sharp shovel handy.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well, this was not news I was hoping to get as the father of three young girls in a small neighborhood full of other children, as well.

Just purchased and moved into a new home, and found out via public search that a RSO moved in across the street.  My timing must have been extraordinarily bad, as his date of registration was 8/17/2015, and was just around the time we purchased the home.  His registration date and our purchase date were so close, it doesn't look like his information had hit the state's website when I was doing my due diligence for the home purchase.

His registration period is "lifetime", so that tells me that his crime was forcible, or involved a minor.  His case was settled with 10 years of community supervision per the states website.

Couple of interesting points I have determined, thus far, is that neither his name, nor his ethnicity match that of the owner of the property from the County's tax rolls.

Interestingly, I walked over and introduced myself to who I presumed to be the owner of the home in question while he was out working in the yard prior to having any knowledge of this.  The name he exchanged with me matches what is in on the tax rolls, so he seems legit.  The RSO registered at that address seems too old at 40ish to be this guys son, the RSO is clearly of Asian descent from his photograph and surname, and the property is owner is clearly not.  Guess the RSO could be adopted, or similar, but the surnames are not in the same ballpark.

I also haven't actually seen the RSO at/around the residence after almost a month of living in the neighborhood.

I have noticed some somewhat odd events like a car with an occupant parked in front of the home for hours at a time.

We have a deputy constable who patrols through the area most mornings.  I waved, and he rolled down the window for a conversation this morning.  He said he was aware of it, and suggested calling the Sheriff's Office to speak with Sex Crimes unit to what information they might be able to share.

The neighborhood is small at only ten total houses, so I'm thinking a discreet conversation with the other parents might be in order, just to make sure everyone is aware.  I will give the Sherrif's office a call late today or tomorrow to pursue that angle.

Anyone else ever dealt with this, or any of our resident LEO's have any suggestions?

View Quote
We have two in the neighborhood. I have never seen either of them outside. DVR/Cameras and monitored security system is in place. If you look on the sex offender registry, they go into detail about the specific charges.

A former employer's son is an RSO. The girl he dated in high school was a few years younger than he was. Her parents caught the two of them drinking, turned him in, now he is an RSO. He continued to see the girl after she turned 18.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Go to the Armory section and look at the home security section at the security camera suggestions. You can't install a camera looking over the guys fence into his backyard, but you can definitely film your front yard and the street and the front of his house that you can see normally see from the street.

I'd go there next. If he's renting and he doesn't like it, he can move.
View Quote
Good suggestion.  I've got them,  but I think I will adjust the aim a bit now.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#5]
See if he is on supervision Probation or parole. there is not much they can do about him living there since they had to approve the address. But they would like a extra set of eyes on him. There a Whole lot of special conditions a RSO has on supervision the general public does not know about. He could be in violation of any number of those. If he is on supervision make contact with his P.O. they can tell you what they are
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

We have two in the neighborhood. I have never seen either of them outside. DVR/Cameras and monitored security system is in place. If you look on the sex offender registry, they go into detail about the specific charges.

A former employer's son is an RSO. The girl he dated in high school was a few years younger than he was. Her parents caught the two of them drinking, turned him in, now he is an RSO. He continued to see the girl after she turned 18.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like this guy was rung up for sexual assault of child on a 14 year old male.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it possible the RSO listed this address without the owner's knowledge?  Perhaps the RSO registered there because he knows the property and/or owner, but doesn't actually live there?
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Is it possible the RSO listed this address without the owner's knowledge?  Perhaps the RSO registered there because he knows the property and/or owner, but doesn't actually live there?
View Quote
That did run through my mind.  Another reason I'm going to call the SO and see what I can find out, if anything.  Will be tomorrow, though.  Just got off work now.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

At least you know he's there.  Keep a nice sharp shovel handy.
View Quote
Haha.  I'm well stocked on all manner of garden accessories.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks like this guy was rung up for sexual assault of child on a 14 year old male.
View Quote

Well maybe he won't be interested in your girls then.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#11]

It's not the ones that register and comply with the law that you need to be concerned about as much as the ones that move in that are in violation.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#12]
When we lived in NY, they would send home a letter every time one moved into the area with a picture, age, description, charges, outcome,etc and also what level he/she was, level 3 is the highest risk of repeat. We had one move in across the street from us! He was a wack job, always off his meds,cops coming down, his offense was with a 11yr old girl if I remember correctly. He was scared of me, used to run inside when he saw me but would give woman a hard time, tried to intimidate my wife, held an axe and just looked at her and went into his house. cops did nothing said it wasn't illegal to have an axe in your house. Fuck them!. If he would have stepped across that street.....................well you get my point. BUT what comes around, goes around...after we left the house and I rented it, the tenant called and said somethings going on other there, cops, fire dept, all there and blocking off the street, well since I owned the house we all went there with front row seats, HE WAS DEAD! started a fire in the house and killed himself from smoke inhilation, they never did determine as far as I know if it was accidental or arson. Karma's a bitch, when they carried the stretcher out the whole neighborhood was clapping! The cops knew, the fire dept. guys were all shocked. Not anybody else.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You can't install a camera looking over the guys fence into his backyard
View Quote

Sure you can.

If he complains, tell him that it's just a dummy camera, or that part of the image is blacked out to preserve his privacy.

Incidentally, I just finished installing one of these systems.

I haven't finished testing all the bells and whistles on it yet, but so far, it's looking very promising.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#14]

@OP, sorry to hear this is in your neighborhood, it prompted me to search my zip and that of my parents.

The immediate area is clear for me, learned that a guy a year ahead of me in high school is now registered in 77546 in relative proximity to my parents

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Foscam ip cameras (amazon) are great. no wires, just plug camera in an outlet and
port forward through your router record on as many pc's as u want

dl ip camviewer for phone

I have 6, work great
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Those of you that have security cameras be sure to learn how they work in every detail. You have a useless recording system until it is tweaked by somebody familiar with the brand and model of DVR. BE the guy familiar with the brand and model of DVR. If you pay somebody to have one installed, most states require a security license. Check them out BEFORE the install. The installation tech can add their own user ID and you could have some perv playing games with your cameras. If you pay a company to install a camera system, tell them not to enter their own user ID so they can "trouble shoot" remotely. Most manufacturers have this available. Use the MFG tech support if needed. If you find an extra user ID that you did not enter yourself, call the law.

As a former security tech/sales/manager, it is not the security companies responsibility to teach you every nuance of your system. Read the manual, and read all of the available online info.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#17]
You can find out who takes care of the registration at the SO and they can do a house check to see if he's staying there, if not then it's a felony. I used to reg the offenders at a PD and we did checks at various times to see if they lived where they registered at, makes an easy case if they're not.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#18]
That's exactly what I came here to post and he beat me. If he's registered at that address, then he better be living there or he's already in violation.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I would not beat myself up about not being able to find this out when you bought the house. If you had been in that house for 30 years there is no guarantee that an RSO could not move in next door to you. Keep your kids close and know exactly where they are every second of the day (any parent should do this), and when you feel they are old enough, inform them of the situation.

Vince
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You believe that story?
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#21]
The very recent  date  could easily mean that he has not been released to move there yet, all this stuff is done ahead of time so TDCJ can release him.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You believe that story?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You believe that story?
It is hard to believe anything you read on the internet. A story is a story. Some people don't let facts get in the way of a good story. Lots of chest thumping going on on this thread. We are protective of our kids.
As far as my former employer's son, I would like to think they were not lying to me. I would have not worked for the family if I found it was a lie. Both families involved had money for legal help as needed. The kids had been together for some time prior to the trouble between the two families. That is not in question.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The very recent  date  could easily mean that he has not been released to move there yet, all this stuff is done ahead of time so TDCJ can release him.
View Quote

According to the OP, they guy got probation.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

That sounds like seriously in violation!
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 8:30:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Dude is probably renting the place. Owner bought it reasonably, was in the yard fixing things up so it could be rented.....not too hard to figure out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sure you can.

If he complains, tell him that it's just a dummy camera, or that part of the image is blacked out to preserve his privacy.

I haven't finished testing all the bells and whistles on it yet, but so far, it's looking very promising.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can't install a camera looking over the guys fence into his backyard

Sure you can.

I just put one of these in at a business location where I don't have a lot of stuff set up yet.

http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/2-mp/hikvision-2cd2120f-iw-outdoor-wifi-wireless-hd-2mp-ip-dome-security-camera.html

It's got an internal 64 gig card to record locally for about a day, but I've got it setup to detect motion like a deer cam and it emails me photos any time someone sets it off during the time period I specify. So it basically starts shooting still photos when my staff leaves and sends pics to my phone.

When I finally get a real system installed, they will plug right in to the ip based DVR.

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 3:27:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

You believe that story?
View Quote
Considering the amount of lies, allegations and other assorted crap I've seen thrown at men for the last 30 years of my life?

I'll absolutely take any accusation with a grain of salt. I've heard stories that would make your skin crawl, from women claiming rape after consensual intercourse to men being assaulted for watching their own children in a park

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does not mean he was released yet.  SO's go thru a diversion/counseling program first. Watch and see who shows up in the coming months.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Agree that there are a lot of false charges against men out there. I went through a divorce and the ex would call the cops every single time I went by to pick up the kids for visitation, birthdays, etc.  I would usually just wait in the car, but she would tell the cops that "I scared her".. So she built a little history "on me" at the sheriffs office. Insane.

In this case, the prosecution may have known the charges were bogus, and offered him probation in return for not prosecuting.  Who knows.

I'd still be a little careful.  In fact, I would go meet him and talk with him.  Abraham Lincoln said the best way to destroy an enemy is to make him your friend.

May not go that far as to make him your friend, but I would not make an immediate and irreversible conclusion based on only part of the story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top