Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 1/17/2011 7:12:58 PM EDT
Man with unloaded guns scares Orem shoppers

January 17th, 2011 @ 4:34pm

By Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) –– Police in Orem confronted a man carrying an assault rifle in the parking lot of University Mall Friday morning.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Edited.  CoC #10 ~ medicmandan

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 9:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Umm yeah sorry about that
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 6:30:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Wasn't me... I live nearby though.

You know how I know it wasn't me?  I always do things for good reasons.  Carrying an unloaded rifle and handgun at the mall like this serves no good purpose.

Semper Fidelis
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 7:13:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 7:21:42 AM EDT
[#4]

When I hear crap like this, I cringe.

Carrying your rifle doesn't serve the purpose you think it does. OC a handgun is one thing, talking a sledge hammer to a tea party is another.

Lame Lame Lame
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Just a heads up. I wouldn't carry (even concealed) at Fashion Place, Provo Towne Center, Cache Valley, Red Cliffs, Cottonwood (or whats left of it) and/or Newgate malls. GGP (the owners) wants the security to have the cops called. There are no signs that specifically say no firearms (at least not at Fashion Place) but say activities that 'endanger the safety of others' are prohibited. I know concealed means concealed but yeah, I wouldn't risk it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just a heads up. I wouldn't carry (even concealed) at Fashion Place, Provo Towne Center, Cache Valley, Red Cliffs, Cottonwood (or whats left of it) and/or Newgate malls. GGP (the owners) wants the security to have the cops called. There are no signs that specifically say no firearms (at least not at Fashion Place) but say activities that 'endanger the safety of others' are prohibited. I know concealed means concealed but yeah, I wouldn't risk it.

Any other places you don't legally carry because you are concerned security might call the police?
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Concealed is concealed.

As a LEO in Utah, I will tell you right now that if there is not a sign prohibiting it, then you have nothing to worry about.  It has to be clearly stated.

Endanger the safety of others I think sounds more like a no skating, blading type message, far more dangerous than a gun.

On the YAHOO carrying a slung rifle, there is a clear difference between excercising your rights and trying to make a point by being over the top.

Link Posted: 1/18/2011 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Concealed is concealed.

As a LEO in Utah, I will tell you right now that if there is not a sign prohibiting it, then you have nothing to worry about.  It has to be clearly stated.

Endanger the safety of others I think sounds more like a no skating, blading type message, far more dangerous than a gun.

On the YAHOO carrying a slung rifle, there is a clear difference between excercising your rights and trying to make a point by being over the top.

My understanding of the State's preemption law is that sign or no sign the carrying of said weapon (OC or CCW) is perfectly legal (if done in accordance with the law).  They can trespass me if I refuse to follow their policies but there is nothing criminal about it (unless I don't leave of course).

That being said I don't like any extra attention.  I carry my firearm to protect my family, not to make a statement.

I'm aware that the law allows it but the mall owners disagree.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#10]
The guy is lucky that a less then educated person carrying, didn't just open fire on him...

ETA to correct my edumacated spelling
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The guy is lucky that a less then educated person carrying, didn't just open fire on him...

ETA to correct my edumacated spelling

The "less than educated person carrying" is lucky he didn't open fire on the guy with the rifle because he would have committed murder.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 2:11:50 AM EDT
[#12]
The sad thing is I had that day off work, live down the road from the mall, rehearsed in Utah state gun laws, and a gun nut, I was asked by a couple of coworkers if it was me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#13]
His name is Phillip taylor and he has a tendancy to do this...
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm aware that the law allows it but the mall owners disagree.

There are "no firearms" signs at the Newgate mall, and at the theater located there. They have zero legal weight in Utah. Worst they can do is ask you to leave, and have the cops issue a trespass ticket if you refuse. If they make it an issue for me, then I will cease to visit businesses in that mall.

That said, this guys choice of time and circumstance was rather... dumb. I hope any disorderly conduct charges are dropped, or fought by a good lawyer. Guy may be an idiot, but he didn't break any laws.

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#15]
attention whore - so what's his screen name / avatar?
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I was at the CFP Instructor class Saturday, and the BCI instructors are pretty upset about this.  I got the distinct impression that they plan on trying to get the law changed because "assault" rifles shouldn't be allowed to be carried as they are threatening.

Only one or two people out of a few hundred didn't raise their hand when he polled the class about "whether or not you'd feel threatened if you walked out of a store and a man was carrying an assault weapon around, even if it was unloaded"  "it only takes 'this long' (he demonstrates pulling the charging handle) to make it loaded".

Semper Fidelis,

Kent
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Don't hang around me then...

Remember Trolly square shooting?
I left minutes before it happened with my Wife... thank God.

I carry anytime and everytime I am with my wife now days...

And him packin a rifle like that to a mall, while I want to applaud him, it makes me cringe thinking about trolly square seeing that...
and the guy is not all that "clean" looking... I can see how he can cause a panic...
Remember the guy in down town slc a few months back wearing cammo that decided to have a shoot out with police?

yeah... good times...  

Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top