Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2018 9:03:38 AM EDT
I just found this on GCO, but nothing on georgiapacking.

"The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has granted permission to carry loaded firearms on Corps property to the two GCO members who sued the Corps for refusing to grant such permission. It is anticipated that such permission will be granted to other GCO members who request it and who have weapons carry licenses."

Corps carry permit

This is big.  Does anybody have more info?
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Did not expect that!  I have no idea but I love hiking at red top mountain so I would definitely like to get in on that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
So I have to ask their permission or sue them? Some right.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I have sent an email to GCO.

Will update.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Wonder how much trouble it is to get. Will apply just on principle
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Wonder how much trouble it is to get. Will apply just on principle
View Quote
I was thinking exactly the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By timccart:

Will update.
View Quote
So much for being a member - two emails, with no replies???
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Will update.
2 of the 4 days are weekends. Give them a chance. They are a small group of mainly volunteers
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 4:28:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CodDawkins] [#9]
GeorgiaCarry.OrgMarch 23, 2018

Dear GCO Member,

As you know, recently two members of GCO were awarded permission to carry on COE Property.  If you wish to apply for permission to carry on COE Property, you will need to send a request to the proper districr or both if you will be travelling all over the state.  Anyone who would like permission to carry on COE Property should send a request to:

[In the case of properties in the Mobile District]
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Mobile District  (Attn:  Operations)
P.O. Box 2288
Mobile, AL 36628-0001
http://www.sam.usace.army.mil/Contact/

They should include a copy of their GWLs.
[In the case of the Savannah District]

They can sent the request by mail:
Savannah District
100 W. Oglethorpe Ave
Savannah, GA 31401

Or on-line:
http://www.sas.usace.army.mil/Contact/
While not presently requested, it may be helpful to include a copy of the GWL with Savannah requests, too.

Good luck and let us know if you have problems recceiving permission.

I added the Mobile office online contact. It was not in the original email.

==================

GeorgiaCarry.Org

Fighting for your right to bear arms!

GeorgiaCarry.Org
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 4:52:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I have submitted requests to both online. I will update progress.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#11]
GeorgiaCarry.Org has been working on this since 2014 and before.    The Corps didn't just roll over.   Like always, GCO is relentless.

Here are the court filings: Filings for GeorgiaCarry.Org et. al. v. Army Corps of Engineers
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#12]
GCO is awesome.  As soon as funds permit I'm buying a life membership.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By xerxes2695:
GCO is awesome.  As soon as funds permit I'm buying a life membership.
View Quote
Yes they are.  It's too bad the NRA doesn't have the same type of leadership.

I would also be happier if GCO changed its name to GA Constitutional Carry.org.  I hope that is the ultimate goal.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#14]
From USACOE Mobile Office:

In order to process you request, please provide a written request along with a copy (front/back) of your state firearm carry permit.
Your request should also contain your mailing address, phone number and email address.

Mail the request to the following address:
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Mobile District
PO Box 2288
Mobile, AL 36628-0001
ATTN: Connie Gunter, OP-TR

Thanks in advance.

Consuela A. Gunter
Recreation Program Manager
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Mobile Dis
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks, I will submit mine and see what I get. Can we submit for all of the country ?
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I submitted email to both Mobile and Savannah.

Received letter, and email from Mobile. Have exchanged emails with Mobile.

Nada from Savannah...

It appears, not that I know, yet, that you must submit to each district?

Will update.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Today I received a permission to possess letter from Savannah USACOE.

More detail in letter, TLDR:

Valid for 5 years, must maintain a valid GWL.
Must carry the letter of permit on your person at all times.
Concealed carry only.
Hartwell, Russell, and Thurmond are covered.
Lands and water bodies, no facilities. Stand-alone restrooms, campsites, picnic shelters, boat ramps are okay.
Must present to Corps official, or Law enforcement upon request.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Received this from GA Carry today.

1) More on applying for permission to carry on COE controlled property

Anyone who would like permission to carry on COE Property should send a simple request to:

[Mobile District]

Covers Lake Altoona, Carter's Lake, Lake Sidney Lanier, Walter F. George Lake, George W. Andrews Lake and West Point Lake.
Mobile District (Attn:  Operations)
P.O. Box 2288
Mobile, AL 36628-0001

This should be by a short letter stating:

Your Name
Your Address
Your Phone number and email address
and a simple statement on why you wish to carry, i.e., to protect self and family

You should also include a copy of your GWLs.
[Savannah District]

Covers Hartwell Lake, Russell Lake and Thurmond Lake.
Your Executive Director received a phone call from the gentleman who is processing the requests for the Savannah District and is processing them as quickly as possible.  Here is what he says he needs:

Name
Mailing Address
Simple reason for the request (personal protection, 2nd Amendment Right, etc)
What state issued their weapons permit and the permit number.

I don't need copies of driver's licenses or weapons permits.

Folks can snail mail written requests to me at the following address or easier, just email a brief request to [email protected].

USACE Savannah District
OP-SR:  Joe Melton
100 W. Oglethorpe Ave
Savannah, GA 31401

Once received, I draw up their permission letter and have our District Commander sign it. I put the first 16 permission letters in the mail yesterday and am working on an additional 15 now.

Thanks for your help!

Joe Melton
Recreation Business Line Manager
USACE Savannah District
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I sent my letter over a month ago and never heard back.  I guess I'll try again
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 9:44:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: trails-end] [#21]
Tim, thanks for posting that.  I came here to do the same.

I have procrastinated, but I wrote the letters to Mobile and sent emails to Savannah for my wife and myself today.

I just received this reply email from Mr. Melton, "Thank you for your requests. I will process your permission letters and mail them to the address you provided."

ETA:  My professional experience with the Mobile District is that they are not as friendly as the Savannah District.  Savannah seems eager to oblige us.  Mobile is taking a different approach.

Did the lawsuit give them a deadline to issue the letters?
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife and I got our letters yesterday from Savannah, 6 days from sending the email.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I emailed Mobile.

Reply is "The permits are awaiting signature by the District Engineer"
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:16:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mikefromphilly] [#24]
I received my letter from Mobile today.

Thank you GeorgiaCarry.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#25]
I just emailed Joe Melton from Savannah COE this morning and he sent me an immediate reply to request my GWL number, no copy of the license required.

Fantastic information guys
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 6:26:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: birdbarian] [#26]
Originally Posted By rhyfl:
I just emailed Joe Melton from Savannah COE this morning and he sent me an immediate reply to request my GWL number, no copy of the license required.

Fantastic information guys
View Quote
First post in 10 years. Lurk much?

Welcome
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Got the letter from mobile
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#28]
I got mine from Savannah.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I decided to get off my butt and send mine out, so they were in the mail as of Monday 5/14.  Posting to see how long it takes for them to come back.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Got my letter back from the Mobile district yesterday (6/2), so just shy of three weeks turnaround.

Still waiting on the letter from the Savannah district.

-bob
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 5:33:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RamblinWreck] [#31]
Sent request letters to COE Mobile & Savannah today (mailed 1-2-19). Will edit when received, hopefully in a few weeks.

Edit: Got Mobile district letter today 1-19-19. Waiting on Savannah district (I mailed same day).
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 8:02:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RamblinWreck] [#32]
Update: still nothing from received letter from Savannah District USACOE today (2/19/2019). That is both letters for me, finally.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Submitted to Savannah Friday, received a reply today that it would be processed in the order in which it was received.

In that reply thread I asked about Mobile (for Allatoona) and he sent an email where he indicated I could submit application for Mobile electronically.

However, once I emailed the person in Mobile they advised snail mail of a formal letter was the only way.

I will get that out tomorrow....
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 0627Devildog:
Submitted to Savannah Friday, received a reply today that it would be processed in the order in which it was received.

In that reply thread I asked about Mobile (for Allatoona) and he sent an email where he indicated I could submit application for Mobile electronically.

However, once I emailed the person in Mobile they advised snail mail of a formal letter was the only way.

View Quote
Well.....I didn't get my snail mail out to the Mobile district until 10/9 and received an authorization letter back, dated 10/25 right on Monday 10/28.  So less than a 3 week turn around for Mobile.

That said, I still have not gotten the Savanna authorization letter back yet.  Will follow up via email later today and update accordingly.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Well.....I didn't get my snail mail out to the Mobile district until 10/9 and received an authorization letter back, dated 10/25 right on Monday 10/28.  So less than a 3 week turn around for Mobile.

That said, I still have not gotten the Savanna authorization letter back yet.  Will follow up via email later today and update accordingly.
View All Quotes

Just received the letter for the Savannah District, today.....dated 10/31.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 7:37:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for reminding me....had to renew my gco membership.  Done
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Has anyone who’s done this recently have contact info for anyone at the Mobile district?  I’ve been waiting since July. Even had a lady from the Savannah district trying to expedite the process, to no avail.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Does anyone know if you need to have the permission slip (aka Authorization Letter) physically WITH you when you carry?

The letter does not indicate the need to carry it..... But I can't find anything indicating if it's necessary.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Does anyone know if you need to have the permission slip (aka Authorization Letter) physically WITH you when you carry?

The letter does not indicate the need to carry it..... But I can't find anything indicating if it's necessary.
View All Quotes

I just got my "permission" letter for the Savannah region (really just Lake Thurmond).  Here's the body of the letter:

This letter provides permission to possess a loaded firearm under 36 C.F.R. § 327.13(a)(4). This permission is subject to the following conditions:

1. You must maintain a valid permit to carry a weapon issued by the appropriate state authority covering the portion of the project where the firearm is being carried. You must carry this permit on your person at all times while carrying a loaded firearm on a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) project.

2. You may only carry the loaded firearm in a concealed manner.

3. You may only carry a loaded firearm on water resources development projects under the administrative jurisdiction of the Corps located within the following Savannah District Corps projects:
   a. Hartwell Lake
   b. Russell Lake
   c. Thurmond Lake

4. You are authorized to carry loaded firearms on project lands and water bodies.

5. You are not authorized to carry loaded firearms when you are in project facilities. A project facility is a building or closed off area (such as by a fence or other physical barrier) constructed or acquired by the Corps that is situated on Corps-managed lands and is used or occupied by the Corps. The term facility includes, but is not limited to, any of the following that are under the jurisdiction of or administered by the Corps: dams, powerplants, ranger stations, buildings, switchyards, recreation facilities, fish and wildlife facilities, pumping plants, and warehouses. For the purposes of this letter, the term facility does not include stand-alone restroom facilities, campsites, picnic shelters, boat ramps, or roads traversing dams.

6. This permission may be revoked if you are convicted of any of the following:
   a. Knowingly being in a closed area of the project in violation of 36 C.F.R. § 327.12(a);
   b. Violating any hunting regulations covered by 36 C.F.R. § 327.8;
   c. Violating 36 C.F.R. § 327.14(a); or
   d. Violating state or local laws as specified in 36 C.F.R. § 327.26(a)(3),(4) & (6).

7. You must carry a copy of both this letter and your state firearm carry permit on your person at all times when possessing and carrying a loaded firearm under this authorization. You must present a copy of both when requested by a Corps official or a Law Enforcement Official.

8. You must possess and carry the firearm in compliance with state and federal law. This authorization is immediately revoked upon any violation of state or federal law that renders your possession of a firearm illegal.

This permission is good for 5 years from this letter’s date or until 36 C.F.R. § 327.13(a) is revised, whichever comes first. If section 327.13(a) is revised, you will be subject to that regulation and this authorization shall no longer have effect.

Sincerely,

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#40]
In revisiting this I see that the permission slip is good for 5 years.  I need to request a new one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top