Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/1/2006 8:46:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:49:15 AM EDT
Next time you talk to him, give him a bit THANK YOU from the PCR family.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:52:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PCR-00:
Next time you talk to him, give him a bit THANK YOU from the PCR family.

Will do there
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:53:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2006 9:19:18 AM EDT by Da_Bunny]
bigscrun, Erex....where are you?

ETA: Skillets, knock that shit off.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:55:20 AM EDT
Glad he's ok.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:01:18 AM EDT
Damn glad he's ok.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:25:50 AM EDT
Damn.

Get some of those motherfuckers before you leave Skillets.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:56:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:29:13 AM EDT
IED 5 feet away? Godam!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:43:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2006 11:44:39 AM EDT by R-32]

Originally Posted By bigscrun:

He got knocked out and his hearing is messed up but he is alive.

He is a Jarhead, They train for this shit on a regular basis...

They drink till they pass out, and never listen to anyone anyway.

He is going to get a Purple Heart

Proof!...

He never had a heart in the first place, now the Govt is going to issue him one.

If you pray say one for Skillets today, if you have a beer today have one for him also.

I will do one better, I will pray that he can get his hands on some beer for himself.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:15:21 PM EDT
5'?! Yikes!

Glad you're not dead Skillets! Get some of those bastards, enough for all of us.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:36:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bigscrun:
Just talked to Skillets, he is in the ABU GRAB area.

That's not too far from my brother. Tell him I'm glad he's safe, and to keep his head low so he can come back that way, too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:39:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:34:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:20:24 AM EDT
DAYum !!

Skillets , you da MAN!

Mike
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:19:39 PM EDT
5 feet?

LOL, after that I'd quit walking on patrols near him. Someone tell him to quit walking so close to IEDs.

Rule #1 come home alive.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:38:45 PM EDT
Damn... Get home ASAP and do what you have to join us with no more damage man. Good luck out there.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:45:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 12:50:17 AM EDT by SkilletsUSMC]
Hey guys!

Im back in the rear with the gear for my manditory 7 days of observation. I had a hell of a concussion. But to clarify, iwas about 5' from the blast, but there was humvee armor in between me and the blast or I would be vapor right now. The crater was about 6' plus wide and about 2 feet deep. The average 155mm IED crater is about 3-4 feet wide from what I have seen. My guess is that it was two 155mm There might be pictures somewhere. the humvee is FUCKED,but it still was running and limped on 4 flats out of the kill zone. WHEN I get back I will post them. Im pretty busy right now. Pure Fucking chaos. I was lucky I made it out with just blood in my ears and a concussion. some guys got shrap pretty good.

Any way y'all take care and Ill try to post more stories and keep you all up to date

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:50:57 AM EDT
Glad you're ok. Take the week to kick back and relax a bit.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:20:15 AM EDT
Way to stay alive - keep it up!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:25:08 AM EDT
Thank god for uparmors.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:21:21 AM EDT
Dayum!

Get some payback, then hurry home for some free beers bud.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:31:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:13:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SkilletsUSMC:
Hey guys!

Im back in the rear with the gear for my manditory 7 days of observation. I had a hell of a concussion. But to clarify, iwas about 5' from the blast, but there was humvee armor in between me and the blast or I would be vapor right now. The crater was about 6' plus wide and about 2 feet deep. The average 155mm IED crater is about 3-4 feet wide from what I have seen. My guess is that it was two 155mm There might be pictures somewhere. the humvee is FUCKED,but it still was running and limped on 4 flats out of the kill zone. WHEN I get back I will post them. Im pretty busy right now. Pure Fucking chaos. I was lucky I made it out with just blood in my ears and a concussion. some guys got shrap pretty good.

Any way y'all take care and Ill try to post more stories and keep you all up to date

All in a days' work, huh?

Watch out for Back/neck/shoulder problems in the next few months and get re-eval'd if they crop up.
I was lucky, only lost some hearing. A buddy of mine has some pretty decent complications from a simular explosion. Just because you didn't catch any steel doesn't mean you ain't injured.

Take it light man-see you when you DEROS.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:23:06 PM EDT
Watch out for Back/neck/shoulder problems in the next few months and get re-eval'd if they crop up.

Interesting.... why would that be? nerve damage?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:41:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 3:42:28 PM EDT by Matt45]

Originally Posted By SkilletsUSMC:

Interesting.... why would that be? nerve damage?

OK- Without me being a Doc, yes, hidden nerve damage is a possibility, especially if you've already got "IBA Back" and that pre-exsisting condition is hiding a new problem....

I talked to a VA Doc when I got back, complaining of foot problems and lower back problems. What I was told that a lot of the guys who are in situations where they're "Blown up" are later experiancing problems due to two main factors:

1. The sheer excess weight of the helmet and body armor do not allow your body to move as normal, on top of the added stress the SAPI plates put on your shoulders and lower back, (Compounding the problem by "weakning" those areas due to the constant strain) they add mass to your body without really having the appropriate muscle to bear it.

2. The overpressure and violent jarring force of an explosion like you experianced in close proximety now take that mass, as well as your natuaral weight and the effect isn't much different than a slide hammer. Lots of mass + sudden stop + muscles trying to overcompensate= bad hooey later on.

The kicker for my bud, was in the turret ring of his M1114, was that the blast banged him around pretty good, and mostly forced his torso to bend in places it wasn't desigend to bend.

ETA- Do you ever make it over to the Green International Zone?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:46:09 PM EDT
I was shaken up when Dave (Scoots dad) told me that Skillets was hit with an IED knowin that he's been on foot patrols most of the time. Sooo glad to have talked to him the following day to know he and his squad was alright. For those who dont know, I work for scotts dad and am really close to them so getting bad news is not what i want even after i had another buddy almost died riding his bike. So i cant wait till he gets home so i can stop worring about him...

Hey Skillets be safe and get you ass home
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:27:26 PM EDT
OooRah! Skillets. Our prayers are with you!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:22:55 AM EDT
Hey Matt45, thanks for all the info Did you guys have the new ESAPIs and side sapi combo then? talk about un-natural weight. I like the side sapi, but I think the ESAPIs are overkill. Ill keep what you said in mind as time goes on. I feel pretty good now though.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:57:13 AM EDT
You da man Skillets!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:01:32 AM EDT
One more detail and then I will try to let this whole thing go. I talked to EOD, and they estimate that the blast wasnt an arty shell at all. they think it was 13-15lbs of PE-4!!! Gawddamn! Some guys in my platoon were sitting in an OP about 2 klicks out, and they said it actually shook the house!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:15:37 AM EDT
My whole unit might get shipped to I-Rock soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:14:07 AM EDT
Damn!!! Best of luck to those of you serving and those of you going over there!!
Daily prayers sent.
Top Top