Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 12:21:22 PM EDT
Ok guys, I know you're not the end all source of information but your opinions and such are pretty informative. So here's my question.
I'm renting a nice house right now, the landlord is going through a divorce and would like to sell the house. She has $50k in equity wrapped up in it that she wants out of it in cash immediately.

I would like to buy the house if she gives me a decent price ($250k would be a bargain) The other houses in the neighborhood have been selling at around $275k.

Now if I could get into the house for $250k and keep it for a year, do you think that is too much of a risk. I'm hoping to make around 35K when I sell it. What are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#1]
unless you plan on moving far away, I wouldn't sell it after you buy it if I were you. All of the other houses in the area will be more expensive too. But I would definitely buy it if I were you, a house is the best investment you can make
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget if you turn houses quick you HAVE to re-invest the money FAST to keep from getting hit hard on taxes, happened to my dad when he sold a house in yuma
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:11:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe to avoid the capital gains taxes(unless it is put into a more expensive house) , you have to live in the house for 2 years. Then no tax is paid unless over $250,000 in profit.  I bought my house in 1995 for 100,000 (year it was built for me) and it is now valued at $200,000 plus.  The majority of that increase is in the last 2 years.  Houses where I live in Tucson (Rita Ranch) do not stay on the market for more that 2 weeks and sell above asking price.

Too bad I didn't buy the house next to me (identical) that went to the bank after the neighbor lost his job and then died of a heart attack.  It set empty for a year for some reason and someone got into it and vandalized it.  It went for $10,000 under market even though the bank had it repaired and is now worth $70,000 more then the two ladies who live there bought it for (about two years time).

Some houses in the Vail area that have been recently built (last 2 years) have gone up $100,000+ in the time they were built.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#4]
You have to live it for 2 years... but you have to own it for a total of 5 years to not get hit with capital gains when you sell it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Post removed becuz I know you guys dont like us former Commiefornians.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top