Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 1:04:14 PM EDT
I went to banner today in order to test some reloads.  After shooting about 50 through the tube, I have decided that it will be a place of last resort.  I hadn't been down there since the changes, and figured the range facelift didn't get rid of the tubes.  Unfortunately, I was right.

On the bright side, it is clean now.  The concrete makes for much better footing than the prior dirt reinforced with old brass.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
never been there...  give me an idea of the layout...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#2]
It is south of Des Moines just east of HWY69.  It is the road that runs east/west just north of the middle river.

It is fenced in and now has posted hours.  IIRC it is closed Wed and Thur.  You drive about 75 yards past the entrance gate and shack to the benches which point to the east.  The benches are all on concrete slabs with a roof over them.  The longest range is 100 yards.  However, in order to shoot down range you must shoot through a 10 foot long concrete tube that runs through the berm.  The tubes make for a fairly unpleasant experience.  They are located at both sitting and standing heights, so you can feel the revebration while shooting from a variety of poses.

It looked like there were 3 permanent clay throwers off to the south, but I didn't look closely and may be mistaken as to what they were.

It looks like they are set up to collect money, and I am guessing they will collect a fee for range use in the future.  When that happens I reckon I will save the money and test the reloads on trips to places where it is more fun to shoot.

To their credit, they did put effort into making it a nicer place.  The tubes sucked before they jazzed it up too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:33:10 AM EDT
[#3]
The tubes really suck.  I went there once and probably won't be going back.  Plus they are going to start charging an hourly fee.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#4]
is the place "manned" with a range personnel?  how do they intend on charging for an hourly rate?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#5]
if i'm going to pay an hourly rate, i'll hope they have range workers to fetch my targets for me...

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#6]
When is the hourly fee supposed to start?

I would guess that would to along way to decreasing patronage to zero (or close).  I can't imagine it making enough money to pay for the guy collecting fees.  A nice range with no tubes may be worth it.  Paying a fee to shoot through a tube?  Polk City just got a lot closer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
The place is manned.  They have regular hours set now and a gate at the entrance along with a little building to stop people before they enter.

I don't know about date when they will start charging.  The guy who I talked to just said sometime in the Spring.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll be darned.  I didn't realize there was somebody in the shack when I drove by.  That job would require a good book, or several of them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Damm, sure glad I have access to private ground. I can shoot from 100 out to 450. Shoot anything from BB Gun up to Belt Fed and my 50 BMG
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:02:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I don't know if its manned all the time or not.  I'm guessing not.  The day I was there it was.  I'm just going by what the guy told me.  I don't know if its accurate.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone needing a range can join a club in jefferson.  it has 25 and 50 yard ranges for rifle(I know that doesn't stretch the legs of long guns) an auto trap and free camping and shelter house and deer are pretty plentiful. Bad thing? Need to have own water supply and it may be far away from a lot of you.  Good thing? It's cheap to join...$30.00 a year, and they sponsor black powder and trap shoots.  They are trying to br-50 shoots if they can get the interest and also handgun shoots.  Any one needing more info can mail me. BTW, I luv this site.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Welcome aboard Mrclean.

A couple of us have been shooting to the south of you at the Bays range a couple of times this spring.  We will probably be doing it a little more.  You should meet up with us next time.

You will like the hometown forum.  The people here are pretty nice.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top