Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/10/2005 9:58:01 PM EDT
I cannot explain why but I have a hankering to get my hands around a Colt Walker (replica, I am not insanely rich). Not only to have, but to shoot. The first "magnum" revolver. Perfect for carry during Minute Man organizations Yes, I know about loading only 5, leaving the hammer down on an empty chamber. I have fired one and am a blackpowder rifle shooter.

I see they are a bit pricey but I don't want a wall-hanger, it MUST function properly. I take it typical revolver function checks are applicable but what are some of the other quirks?

Any brands recommended? And those to run away from?

Sounds like a trip to Cabela's is in order...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:39:31 PM EDT
Sorry, but I will not talk you out of it. I bought one about five years ago and for the same reason. It is a replica and it is a hoot to shoot. Max load was 50 grains, but that was a hell of a kick and knocked the loading lever down. 40 grains is plenty and accurate. I paid 340 then with presentation box and loading accessories from Cabela's. Good luck.
Pedersoli and Uberti make the best ones. Armi San Marco a close second, Pietta third. Mine is a Pedersoli and it is a very well made replica and is very accurate.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:29:07 PM EDT
the replica Walkers will have the falling loading lever during firing 'feature' as the originals. May want to consider one of the later 'Dragoon' models that have the loading lever catch and are still a big honking piece of steel to carry around.

Uberti would be my first pick but have heard that Pietta has really increased their quality in the past several years to rival Uberti.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:13:02 PM EDT
Well, looks like Pedersoli no longer makes the Walker. So, what is the brand that Cabelas carries?

Dammit, I was going to make a road trip but I have come down with bronchitis AGAIN!!!
Top Top