Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2010 2:29:14 PM EDT
Is it legal to carry a loaded rifle in your car in Michigan ?....
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#1]
NO but get a AR15 handgun
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes and no. Most rifles with folding stocks have to be registered as pistols in Michigan. If its registered as a pistol and you have your CPL you can keep it loaded in your car.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#3]
What if you keep the rifle in the trunk with loaded magazines in a separate container, as if you were going to the gun range? I have been thinking about keeping a rifle 24/7 in the trunk of my car with loaded magazines in a separate container ready to go if it ever came to that. Michigan law frown on that?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Firearms Related Issues FAQ - From Michigan State Police Update #66
Posted: June 16, 2008

Firearms-related frequently raised issues
What follows are the short answers to those firearms-related questions most often asked by police officers and the public.

Transporting ammunition and long-guns
MCL 750.227d describes the lawful way to transport a shotgun or rifle. While they must be unloaded, they may be transported in the same case as ammunition (including loaded magazines).

MSPpdfLink
[
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MCL 750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 227d.

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(a) Taken down.
(b) Enclosed in a case.
(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.
(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

History: Add. 1981, Act 103, Eff. Mar. 31, 1982

MCL
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:24:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to be the buzzkill, but a Truck gun/Trunk gun is a spectacularly bad idea.

The chances of it being stolen and used to commit more crimes are WAY higher than you ever needing a short carbine in a hurry. I"m not telling you what to do, but stop and think about it for a little bit.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:53:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sorry to be the buzzkill, but a Truck gun/Trunk gun is a spectacularly bad idea.

The chances of it being stolen and used to commit more crimes are WAY higher than you ever needing a short carbine in a hurry. I"m not telling you what to do, but stop and think about it for a little bit.

I really gotta agree.  I have a few short rifles and shotguns just for this purpose, but none are left in the car 24/7 for the exact reason you stated.  I don't even like leaving them in there to run into a gas station.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:22:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really gotta agree.  I have a few short rifles and shotguns just for this purpose, but none are left in the car 24/7 for the exact reason you stated.  I don't even like leaving them in there to run into a gas station.

Could there be any criminal consequences for you if they get stolen?

I was considering making a locked case that I would bolt to the side of my trunk, that could only be opened by a key on my car key ring.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I was considering making a locked case that I would bolt to the side of my trunk, that could only be opened by a key on my car key ring.

I don't know for a fact it would be "criminal"....since YOU didn't do anything criminal.  I could see a lot of legal and monetary inconvenience though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Careful..... I can't remember where I saw it, but I was left to believe the AR15 pistols weren't covered by the normal CCW laws.  I don't remember why but its prevented me from carrying my own AR15 pistol.  I have a 7.62 x 25 Tokarov AR pistol and would love to leave it on the seat loaded.  My understanding was that there was some minor detail in the law that made the AR's illegal for CCW though.

I haven't been able to find where I originally read that but PLEASE prove me wrong.  Seriously, I'd love to carry my little friend!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Careful..... I can't remember where I saw it, but I was left to believe the AR15 pistols weren't covered by the normal CCW laws.  I don't remember why but its prevented me from carrying my own AR15 pistol.  I have a 7.62 x 25 Tokarov AR pistol and would love to leave it on the seat loaded.  My understanding was that there was some minor detail in the law that made the AR's illegal for CCW though.

I haven't been able to find where I originally read that but PLEASE prove me wrong.  Seriously, I'd love to carry my little friend!

It would be covered just like any other pistol.

Where did you find a 7.62x25 AR-15?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:55:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends, if they get recovered in a drug house during a raid, you probably won't hear about it at all (or get your gun back), if your Yugo AK is used to settle a dispute in a Big Boy parking lot and 6 people get shot, the prosecutor is going to make your life hell.

AFAIK, there is still no legal way to transport a Rifle in Michigan "just because". You still need to be on your way to a range, FFL, hunting etc. That's one angle a motivated prosecutor could use against you if he chose to.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be covered just like any other pistol.

Where did you find a 7.62x25 AR-15?

We have a member on this site that assembles custom uppers.  I went looking for the Tok upper because at the time I was buying surplus Tok ammo in 1260 round spam cans for $86 a can delivered.  Rest assured I'm prepared for the first few waves of zombies.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#13]
[AFAIK, there is still no legal way to transport a Rifle in Michigan "just because". You still need to be on your way to a range, FFL, hunting etc. That's one angle a motivated prosecutor could use against you if he chose to.[/quote]

And where does it say that in the law?  I know the firearms laws are ambiguous but you guys read to much into them.

The other issue is this notion that you have to carry ammo in a separate container/bag/box etc. As long as the firearm is unloaded/cased you can throw ammo/mags in with it in the same bag.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:34:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I asked this question before, if your gun is registered as a pistol in MI, and we all know what weird items get registered as a pistol in MI, then you can carry it loaded under the terms of your CPL.  ie Locked and loaded in your vehicle.  So get an underfolder or AR pistol or Bullpup and you are GTG.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:05:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends, if they get recovered in a drug house during a raid, you probably won't hear about it at all (or get your gun back), if your Yugo AK is used to settle a dispute in a Big Boy parking lot and 6 people get shot, the prosecutor is going to make your life hell.

AFAIK, there is still no legal way to transport a Rifle in Michigan "just because". You still need to be on your way to a range, FFL, hunting etc. That's one angle a motivated prosecutor could use against you if he chose to.

That's like saying if you're car got stolen and police recovered it from a drug house with twenty kilos of coke in it, it would be no big deal and you'll probably never hear about it, but if your car was stolen, loaded with explosives and parked in front of a federal building, your life is going to be hell because an up and coming young federal prosecutor that is motivated, can use that against you if he chose to.

As long as you report the theft to police in a timely manner and have nothing to hide, there is nothing to worry about...if any local/state/federal LE or prosecutor is motivated enough to go after you, they can do it in any number of ways at any time...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Improper storage.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I thought it was our right to bear arms, but I could be mistaken.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Improper storage.

Wow!  Seriously?  If someone stores something, anything, in a locked vehicle and someone else breaks into the vehicle to steal it, how is it "improper storage" on the part of the owner?  No wonder we are in such a mess...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Improper storage.

Wow!  Seriously?  If someone stores something, anything, in a locked vehicle and someone else breaks into the vehicle to steal it, how is it "improper storage" on the part of the owner?  No wonder we are in such a mess...

Cause it is a firearm, I dont know about you guys but the last time I bought a rifle from the gunstore they gave me a pamphlet from the state police that said if the firearms is stored improperly and someone gains access to it that you can be charged for a crime.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Improper storage.

Cause it is a firearm, I dont know about you guys but the last time I bought a rifle from the gunstore they gave me a pamphlet from the state police that said if the firearms is stored improperly and someone gains access to it that you can be charged for a crime.

This pamphlet or something similar -> http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/msp-203_-_PDF_286476_7.pdf

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Improper storage.

This pamphlet or something similar -> http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/msp-203_-_PDF_286476_7.pdf

Something like that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really gotta agree. I have a few short rifles and shotguns just for this purpose, but none are left in the car 24/7 for the exact reason you stated. I don't even like leaving them in there to run into a gas station.

Improper storage.

Wow! Seriously? If someone stores something, anything, in a locked vehicle and someone else breaks into the vehicle to steal it, how is it "improper storage" on the part of the owner? No wonder we are in such a mess...

At the end of that pamphlet, I noticed that it states that its a felony to discharge a firearm around a place of dwelling. Would this apply to the use a firearm in a self/home defense situation, and if so how would one be expected use a gun for self/home defense?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
At the end of that pamphlet, I noticed that it states that its a felony to discharge a firearm around a place of dwelling. Would this apply to the use a firearm in a self/home defense situation, and if so how would one be expected use a gun for self/home defense?

Note the language: clause (a) reads "from a motor vehicle ..." while clause (b) reads "at a facility ...". So a "drive-by" would violate both clauses by shooting from a motor vehicle at a dwelling.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Note the language: clause (a) reads "from a motor vehicle ..." while clause (b) reads "at a facility ...". So a "drive-by" would violate both clauses by shooting from a motor vehicle at a dwelling.

What about striking someone with the butt of a rifle?  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Improper storage.

This is exactly it. When you take a Safety Inspection test as a non-CPL holder in michigan, this is one of the areas covered. That test is designed to make sure you know how bad they are going to ass-rape you if something ever happens with your gun. You just have to fly high on radar to earn that special attention.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I really gotta agree. I have a few short rifles and shotguns just for this purpose, but none are left in the car 24/7 for the exact reason you stated. I don't even like leaving them in there to run into a gas station.

Improper storage.

Wow! Seriously? If someone stores something, anything, in a locked vehicle and someone else breaks into the vehicle to steal it, how is it "improper storage" on the part of the owner? No wonder we are in such a mess...

There are minimum distance requirements for shooting near a building, occupied or not in Michigan. I think it's 300 feet, where allowed, but don't quote me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Improper storage.

This is exactly it. When you take a Safety Inspection test as a non-CPL holder in michigan, this is one of the areas covered. That test is designed to make sure you know how bad they are going to ass-rape you if something ever happens with your gun. You just have to fly high on radar to earn that special attention.

Have either of you ever had a firearm stolen from your vehicle that was then used in a crime or found at a drug house?  Have either of you ever had a firearm stolen period?  Paranoia seems to run pretty deep around these parts...  If you are transporting a firearm legally and someone breaks into your car and steals it, report it and go about your daily business.  No need to worry about ass-rapings just because your gun got stolen...unless your guns get "stolen" frequently...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Improper storage.

Have either of you ever had a firearm stolen from your vehicle that was then used in a crime or found at a drug house?  Have either of you ever had a firearm stolen period?  Paranoia seems to run pretty deep around these parts...  If you are transporting a firearm legally and someone breaks into your car and steals it, report it and go about your daily business.  No need to worry about ass-rapings just because your gun got stolen...unless your guns get "stolen" frequently...

I dont underestimate courts, and I feel having a AK-47 clone pistol in you truck is paranoid,
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Improper storage.

I dont underestimate courts, and I feel having a AK-47 clone pistol in you truck is paranoid,

Ummmmm, 'kay.......  Some people say having any gun is "paranoid".  Are you sure you're not a closet-anti?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Improper storage.

There are minimum distance requirements for shooting near a building, occupied or not in Michigan. I think it's 300 feet, where allowed, but don't quote me.

It is a felony crime to: (a) discharge a firearm in a facility or from a motor
vehicle, snowmobile or off road vehicle in a manner as to endanger the
safety of another person; (b) discharge a firearm at a facility that is a
dwelling or an occupied structure

There are no distance laws against target shooting near buildings  just hunting. If you look above it reads shooting at buildings.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Ummmmm, 'kay....... Some people say having any gun is "paranoid". Are you sure you're not a closet-anti?

You have the right to keep and bear arms, If you want to keep a Ar-15 with a C-mag in your truck, feel free.

I just think it's
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Improper storage.

Yes, Kevin, I have. In 2005, I lost 11 firearms in a burglary while I was out of state at my grandfather's funeral. They had 4 days from Wed.-Sat of Memorial Day Weekend to rifle thru my belongings. Every time I think back on it I wonder if my perfectly dialed in Carbon 15 with a TA31F is going to be used to kill or rob someone. I wonder if the HK91 I bought 2 weeks prior is the one I saw on a news story about a Detroit gun buy back where they are going straight to a smelter. I wonder if my Prized $1300 Buckmark Carbine with a Tactical Solutions barrel (1 of 19 ever made) is being sold out of someone's  car trunk at a truck stop..

Believe me, you don't want any part of having your firearm stolen out of your truck.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:48:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Improper storage.

Ummmmm, 'kay.......  Some people say having any gun is "paranoid".  Are you sure you're not a closet-anti?

Kevin, I don't know what your deal is. Attacking someone personally is Straight out of Noam Chomsky's Rules for Radicals, and is a no-fail way to determine that the other side in the conversation has lost the Initiative. You seem to like to push people's buttons, especially when it comes to guns and gun control as if you think you have some kind of corner on being more 2A correct than the people around you. You aren't going to "out gun rights" anyone here-everyone is entitled to their own level of involvement with the 2A.

Knock it the hell off.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:50:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Improper storage.

There are no distance laws against target shooting near buildings  just hunting. If you look above it reads shooting at buildings.

I've had a sheriff and DNR officer both tell me that there is a minimum distance rule for target shooting on private land in Michigan. The law you quoted may not be the only one on the books regarding where and when a guy can shoot...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:25:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Improper storage.

I've had a sheriff and DNR officer both tell me that there is a minimum distance rule for target shooting on private land in Michigan. The law you quoted may not be the only one on the books regarding where and when a guy can shoot...

Our township board and county board found no problem with this either. My busy body Neighbor still thinks they are wrong.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:19:39 AM EDT
[#36]
It's all covered in the state police pamphlet...trust the pamphlet...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top